Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Intense pain

I have had intense pain on my low back/hip for 5 weeks now. Sometimes sharp other times throbbing. Lots of pressure depending on my position. Limits me daily, trouble sleeping. Finally went to my dr, she said sciatic. I'm not convinced. I've had sciatic before and this is different. No pain down rear or leg. She wouldn't order any scans and said to see a chiropractor. I'm not comfortable with that. My mind is telling me maybe a disc issue... But she won't refer me to my orthopedic. Any thoughts?


  • Have you already had any diagnostic tests? Did your doctor offer any help & advise other than seeing a chiropractor? I can understand your concerns, I have serious disc issues & I've been told by many specialists to never allow a chiropractor to treat me, adjustments can cause a lot of damage. I hope you don't mind me asking, how was your sciatic trouble diagnosed & treated in the past?
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I knew I had sciatic las time because I had the pain down my butt and leg. A few muscle relaxers and rest and it was gone in about 10 days. This is over 5 weeks and feels a lot different. No scans or anything have been done.
  • advertisement
  • LizLiz Posts: 9,658

    Liz, Spine-health Moderator

    Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • sciatica can only be diagnosed through tests such as mri, discography, cat scans, nerve conduction tests and finally all of this with your doctors exam. you can not say you have something due to your evaluation and pain. you need to get a doctor to evaluate you and make a diagnosis. most doctors will do all of the above tests and not just an mri in order to rule out other things.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • advertisement
  • I think this has been going on too long. I'd see a specialist & get some diagnostic tests done. Does your insurance require a referral? If it does I think you need to go back to your doctor & make it clear that you're not comfortable allowing a chiropractor work on you until spine damage has been ruled out. I'm sorry, I don't know the system well enough to know what you can do if your doctor refuses to refer you. I hope someone else can help.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • when back pain continues for more than a couple of weeks......if the person needs a referral, they can request one from their primary care physician. If not, then it is time to consult with a board certified ortho or neuro surgeon. I included the link to the Step by Step Guide above.
  • TarenTTaren Posts: 524
    edited 04/20/2014 - 8:44 AM
    Maybe it's time for a 2nd opinion. I definitely wouldn't let a chiropractor do any kind of adjustments until a disc problem has been ruled out & then I wouldn't let one touch me. 5 weeks is a long time to have the same problem and not have it investigated.
  • get 2nd opinion, it is always good to ask another doctor when you feel there is something wrong. You'd have more peace of mind if you do this

Sign In or Register to comment.