Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

MRI found bulging disk in C-Spine

On Wednesday I was finally able to complete a MRI test after 3 failed attempts before. Friday I was told my results over the phone. I was told I had bulging in C5-6 and I was being referred to pain management because the nurse practitioner did not feel it was bad enough to send me on to a surgeon. But they have no idea how long it will take pain management to see me.

Friday night I was in tears my pain was so intense, and I took a muscle relaxer which did nothing but help me sleep for 14 hours! When I woke up today I was still in severe pain and have been all day. I cannot feel my left arm or leg and my neck is burning like a hot poker is touching it over and over and I have a terrible headache as well.

I've been in bed nearly a year with this situation that no one seems to want to help me with. I just keep being told it will get better with rest. I would think that would not take a year! I do exercises and stretches and they do seem to help. I alternate heat and cold compresses, and I've eaten enough tylenol and alieve I think I am ammune to it. I soaked in a hot tub with Epsom salt earlier and that usually helps, but not this time.

Have any of you been in this severe of pain and discomfort? What did you do to get relief?
advertisement

Comments

• hi.
    ever considered having steroid injections?
    please ask your Dr concerning ur case. but they might be a good solution,to help u proceed with therapy and get out of ur bad pain.
  • Have you looked into trying traction? This helped me a LOT prior to my surgeries. It was one of the only things that offered relief.

Also, will your nurse practitioner refer you to a neurosurgeon?
    April 2011 C1-C2 Fusion (Brooks wiring)
    January 2012 C1-C2 Revision Fusion (Harms Technique)
    2010 - current: Trigger Point Injections, Epidural Injections, Bilateral C2-C3 Radiofrequency Ablations
  • advertisement
  • WT said:
    hi.
    ever considered having steroid injections?
    please ask your Dr concerning ur case. but they might be a good solution,to help u proceed with therapy and get out of ur bad pain.
    I'm pretty sure that will be discussed when I get to pain management whenever that will be. I looked at their website and that seems to be a lot of what they do to at that clinic. I have been given steroid pills several times throughout this year and those have not worked, only made me hungry all the time.
  • achyneck said:
    Have you looked into trying traction? This helped me a LOT prior to my surgeries. It was one of the only things that offered relief.

Also, will your nurse practitioner refer you to a neurosurgeon?
    As stated in my original post the nurse practitioner will not send me to a surgeon because she feels it isnt bad enough. Some local people have told me that the way it works is they send you to pain management and get you started on that then pain management sends you to a surgeon. My spouse did ask that I be sent straight to a surgeon but we were denied that option which is complete crap. I have numbness and burning, I've not ben able to feel some parts of my body for months now and the answer is to go to pain management. I just can not wrap my head around it.

They say the clinic I am being sent to takes at least a month to get into. I inquired about another clinic that was closer to home and I was denied that option. They were very specific that they wanted me to go to this certain pain management clinic. I can not wrap my head around that either.

I'm exhausted with this entire situation.
  • Seems like there must be more going on than a sole C5 disc bulge. Numbness on the entire side? I had arm and finger issues before my ACDF C5/6/7 ten years ago but the lower extremities are all due to my L's.
    not sure where you are or if its your insurance that requires referrals but if you've been bedridden and numb for a year I think a second opinion is definitely warranted. That just seems waaay more than one disc bulge to me.
  • advertisement
  • I agree there's more going on than a bulge. I live in a crappy southern state, things are just weird here right now concerning healthcare. I really think I need a nerve study before anyone tries to treat me for the bulge. I really think we need to see what nerves are in what shape. I am not sure how to ask for this kind of wrest, and who to ask for it.
  • There are steps that need to occur to figure out what the problem is that is causing you pain. The worst thing that you can do is lay in bed. That only leads to more problems , weaker muscles, inactivity leads to less stamina, and increased pain levels.
    Hopefully, when you get into the clinic, they will investigate what all is causing the pain and order appropriate testing, based on their examination of you, and symptoms you present with.

http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/diagnostic-tests/getting-accurate-back-pain-diagnosis

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/pain/chronic-pain/chronic-pain-treatment-step-step

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/treatment/pain-medications/pm-your-first-visit-what-expect-what-ask
advertisement