Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

I am EDITED and im scared

Comments

• Don't take this wrong, but I'm not so sure functioning is the correct description of what you're doing here. You are contradicting yourself repeatedly and adding norco 10's TO the oxy 40 daily? This defies logic and I'm worried about you. I know that 12 yrs ago I had a few messed up epidurals and ended up on Vicoprofen and Xanax and MS Contin collectively, with drs blessing, and my thoughts were jumbled and word scrabble ensued. It ended with a deadly overdose in feb 2003.
    Please be honest w your dr about what you're taking. You are headed for some serious trouble if not.
  • It sounds like you were doing well on the Norco, but somehow I'm guessing you told your dr it wasn't working so well, so she put you on oxy, but you thought the Norco worked better, so you added it to the oxy, & the combo is working, but your scared of the oxy? Am I understanding correctly?

Regardless, you should let your dr know how you are feeling, both physically & mentally about this change in meds. It sounds like what might work for you is just a higher dose of the Norco, & stopping the oxy, or just using it for breakthrough pain.

I could be wrong, but I would guess your Dr would rather have you on a little higher dose of Norco than taking Oxy, since Oxy is much stronger. It might seem strange to you that Norco works better for you than oxy, which is stronger, but that can easily happen, it's all in how your body metabolizes drugs. I know for me, morphine does nothing, but demerol helps a lot. Demerol is a less strong drug, & I never understood why morphine doesn't work if it's stronger.

Thanks to the forum, I learned there are actually DNA tests you can have done that show how you metabolize certain drugs, especially pain meds & antidepressants. I'm working on having this done, because I think it's extremely valuable info. to have. If you want more info about it, let me know & I'll point you in the direction if some previous posts.

Anyway, good luck with your appt, keep us posted on what happebs
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • advertisement
  • All you've done is add 40mg of OxyContin to your previous medication prescription of Norco. You will be feeling less pain because you're taking far more narcotic medications than you were.

There is a lot of bad press surrounding the Oxy medications because they have become many addicts drug of choice. When we follow dosing instructions these medications carry no more risks than other narcotics. When I read your post I misunderstood & thought that you were not taking the OxyContin & just taking the Norco. If you are so afraid of the new medication why are you taking more narcotics than prescribed & not following your doctors instructions? You have significantly increased your base amount of narcotics by taking both.

Your doctor will be aware of all of the prescriptions you have filled since your last appointment. I'm sure this will be addressed next time. Have you signed a pain 'contract' with your doctor? This should clearly explain how to safely add narcotics to the other therapies you use to control your pain.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Doing what you did is grounds for dismissal.......and I wouldn't be at all surprised if your doctor does just that.
    Do I sound harsh? Yes....... then good. Self medicating, which is what you are doing is illegal, dangerous and likely to result in making things harder for other patients your doctor sees.
    ANY new medication has side effects, including headaches, and they usually disappear over a few days to a few weeks, once your body acclimates to the medication. Just because you don't want to try a medication does not mean that you get to make that decision without discussing it with your doctor. You pay her to make the best decision regarding treatment for your condition based on her schooling, knowledge, experience and education.
    If the side effects were totally intolerable to you, then you should have called her........not filled a prescription that you shouldn't have refilled, and taken them on your own.
    Did you bother to read the links that I put up earlier in this thread?
    I'm sorry but you have put yourself in a bad position and more importantly, you have put your doctor in one as well.
    You most likely will find yourself being dismissed and trying to find another doctor to treat your "pain" is going to be difficult at best.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,269
    edited 04/24/2014 - 5:29 AM
    What he did was to refill a prescription he had for Norco, after his doctor gave him a prescription for Oxycontin. He was supposed to discontinue the Norco, and replace it with the long acting medication at a dosage of 20 mg twice a day, instead of the norco.....He decided that he didn't want to try the Oxycontin, but refilled the Norco instead...
    Now , he is worried about what his doctor is going to say and do, regarding his self medicating......
  • advertisement
  • Without your doctors permission. I am on MS Cotin and Dilaudid. Both give migraines. After about 3 or 4 days they went away and now the meds work great. Now I have been having surgeries for breast reconstruction. That surgeon gives me scripts for Percocet, but I always end up giving the script back to him. My PM doctor knows about the scripts because he is involved in every aspect of my medical history. My PM doctor usually ends up being my anethsologist. What we are all trying to tell you mint is that you should never take it into your own hands alway ask your Dr. Now you may need to find a new Dr to take over your pain management
    Female 44 survivor of thyroid cancer...just had two surgeries for breast cancer and chronic back pain. Live in upstate ny. On 8mg dilaudid 6 a day and 60mg morphine sulf er 2x day
  • Mikey, this is what will happen.......when you go in, most likely your dr will already know what you have done, you probably wont have to say a thing because you will be dismissed & rightly so. Why would you go get a refill on Norco when you were not supposed to be taking it? Do you have a pain contract?

What you really wanted to know was, "what you could say to your dr to get you out of trouble, right?" There's nothing you can say, you messed up & knew you were messing up when you refilled your Norco while you were supposed to be just taking the Oxycontin, buy yet you did it anyway. This is some of the things that are done that make it hard for people that need these kinds of medications to function daily.

The reasons here you are giving for doing what you did make absolutely no sense & they are not going to make any sense to your dr. either. Someone else pointed out the contradictions in your story and truthfully there are many. If you are lucky enough to find another dr to treat you, hopefully you learned a lesson with what you have done.

Again, you just wanted a good story to tell your dr so that you could get out of trouble and you were hoping that someone here could provide you with one...There are none, you messed up & you are aware of it.
  • doctors also have a grape vine where they know about patients and talk amongst themselves about patients. they also hook up with hospitals and pharmacies so when a patient gets a reputation or does something wrong, all the doctors and pharmacies in the area seem to know about it. a person who goofs up on purpose is really in a bind. everyone will know and then to get a new pain doctor will be impossible. all of this stuff is on a computer also. every med and pharmacy and doctor you go to is on file.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Thanks for clearing that up Sandi. I think we were all getting a bit confused on this one. It really seemed like he was taking both meds.

If you haven't filled or used your new OxyContin prescription & you're ONLY taking the old prescription for Norco your doctor could be a little more sympathetic. Please note I only said 'a little', you agreed to switch meds, took the prescription but didn't follow instructions.

If I were in your position I'd take the unfilled prescription & the bottle of Norco to your next appointment. Try to get one ASAP. Come clean as soon as your doctor walks into the room, before he brings it up. Be very apologetical. Hopefully he will continue to work with you.

Please read your contract & the information Sandi sent you. There is a lot of information here. Educate yourself & try to avoid this situation in the future.

Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • EnglishGirls last sentence should be your new motto for life, Mikey!!
advertisement