Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

I am EDITED and im scared

Comments

• To be honest Taren it took me a long time to realize that I needed to educate myself. The medical system in England is very different from here. I never took responsibility for myself. I think the lack of choice just made me a good little patient, I never questioned anything! It's been quite a learning curve for me. ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I suppose the saying is true, we learn something everyday. All this PM stuff has been quiet a learning curve for me too. I have many health problems and I research them all and try to learn as much as I can about each illness. I like to know I'm as educated as much as possible when it comes to my health and my treatment options.
  • advertisement
  • In the world of pain management, if a medication is not working, then you need to call the doctor first and let them determine what to do ......especially in this case, Mikey was told to stop the norco, then given a prescription for Oxycontin in place of the Norco.....because Norco is refillable in some states, he apparently has access to refills. He didn't want to take the Oxycontin but eventually tried it but it gave him headaches, so he refilled the Norco and went back to it. Once you are given a new medication in place of an old one, you are no longer supposed to use it, without clearing it with the doctor first.......especially when it is an opiate.
    Mikey continued to take the Norco, without the permission of the doctor and now wants to know what he should tell his doctor.....self medicating is a huge no no, obtaining refills of a medication no longer prescribed to you as part of your current treatment plan is a bigger no no.....not contacting the doctor is a big no no as well......
  • I think Sandi straightened out for us the confusion about your when you took Norco, & when you took oxy.

But I guess I'm still wondering why you changed from Norco to Oxy at all? You say your pain is better on Norco than Oxy, so why did your dr. bump you up to Oxy? If things were hunky-dory on Norco, I doubt she would offer you Oxy, so is it a question of that your pain got worse, you tried the oxy, than realized you were better off on Norco?

Also, Ron asked you about your dr. being a chiro/internal med/pain dr., & I don't believe I saw an answer to that. I'm not insinuating that this is impossible, but it sure would be unusual. Chiro's are usually against 99% of meds, they believe every illness has something to do with a subluxation in your spine, & pretty much everything can be fixed by adjustments. I had one tell me a bladder infection is due to a subluxation; ladies, we all know it comes from bacteria, right? I've seen about 6 in my life, & everyone of them was against meds. The only time I ever had one tell me to take anything was 1 time after a first adjustment to take some Motrin if I was sore.

As far as violating your pain contract, I do not have one with my PM dr., because he basically only does procedures & thinks all my pain should be resolved with Tylenol. In fact, I didn't even know there was such a thing, until I joined this forum. That said, I've read enough post & stories to know that if you did sign a contract to the effect of what the others are saying, you could be in some big trouble. Even if you signed it a long time ago, & didn't remember some of the rules, she is going to hold you responsible for your actions.

That said, looking at it from another point of view, it's kind of hard to understand why one could get in so much trouble for going down to a less strong drug, especially if it's being taken at the same level as was previously prescribed. I obviously get why you would be in big trouble if you went up in your dosage, or started on something stronger, but it is a little perplexing why going down should be such a huge issues.

Now, before everyone starts throwing cyber tomatoes at me from left & right, I get the rules are the rules, & if you sign a contract you have to abide by it, whether it makes sense to you or not. If something is not clear you should discuss it before you sign it. (BTW, I'm really glad I know this now, if I ever do get meds from a PM dr, I'll know what I'm getting into). I'm not saying Mikey is right in what he did, I'm just looking at it from another point of view.

I can also understand how having side effects from a new med might make a person go back to the old, figuring the pain with the old was better than the side effects with the new. I read all the potential side effects of meds, & it does not always say that every side effect listed "may go away with time". I quit taking Neurontin because of the side effects, & I did not taper. Why? Because I didn't know I needed too. I wasn't on that high of a dose, in fact, didn't even take it every day, so I guess I got lucky & didn't have any withdrawals. It wasn't working that well, & I'd rather live with the leg pain than the side effects. Again, not saying what Mikey did was right, just saying I could see how that could happen.

Mikey: I know there are a lot of questions being thrown your way, & some people can get pretty passionate about misuse of pain meds, whether or not it's on purpose, or an accident. That said, there is another member who has admitted some serious misuse of fentanyl, and members are being firm, yet supportive. However, he answered all questions, cleared up any confusion, (so far as I can tell, anyway) and basically "came clean" with some actions that had to have been pretty hard to admit. So if you could do the same, I think we could better be able to help you.
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,269
    edited 04/24/2014 - 2:01 PM
    "That said, looking at it from another point of view, it's kind of hard to understand why one could get in so much trouble for going down to a less strong drug, especially if it's being taken at the same level as was previously prescribed. I obviously get why you would be in big trouble if you went up in your dosage, or started on something stronger, but it is a little perplexing why going down should be such a huge issues."

The reason it is such a huge deal is that when the doctor changed him to Oxycontin, he was told to stop taking the Norco.....period......Believe it or not, there are patients who simply don't like using long acting meds because they don't get the feeling that comes with the use of immediate release meds once they kick in. Long acting medications are harder to abuse, because of the abuse deterrants added, so wanting to stay on immediate release versions is the Drug of Choice..
    If he wanted to go back onto the Norco, all he had to do was pick up the phone and call his doctor for permission......
    There is a reason that his doctor wanted him to go onto a long acting version of pain control, rather than continue on the immediate release medication.
    The choice /decision to fill a prescription for Norco, without consulting his doctor is just one of the things that is going to come back to haunt him.......
  • advertisement
  • MSG. I know what you're saying & I'm usually very supportive of people but repeated statements like this,

"if I go to the doctors and tell her I take 10 325 Plus 40 milligrams of oxyCotin I'm scared what the doctor is going to do to me. but like I said Norco I function very well from it oxycontin I am scared to death to take it I am taking it now I together what is the doctor gonna do to me"

..made me believe that he was taking both together. I think others shared my confusion. You are right, if I'd understood that he had not taken "10 325 Plus 40 milligrams of oxyCotin," I wouldn't of been as harsh in my first post.

The written word can be the worst form of communication. It's so much easier to understand exactly what someone means when they are talking face to face. It's happened before & it will happen again but usually once we get to the 4th page things get a little clearer! ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • That makes total sense. I never get any kind of a "high" feeling from any narcs, so I never thought of it like that, but now I totally get it. And yes, as I said he should have called the dr before changing meds, because those are the rules, & if you break your contract, you can easily end up SOL.

English, I think we were all confused at first. Mikey I hope you can clear up the rest of our confusion/questions so we can help you to the best of our ability.
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • Doctors are taking a professional risk -albeit a carefully calculated one- anytime they write a script for narcotics and hand it over to us, the patient. There is an implied agreement of mutual trust between the doctor and patient. I feel like my PAC is willing to work with me, write me a script for a controlled substance; and in return, she expects me to take the medication as directed. It is a two way street. Burn that bridge and it can be very tough to get another doctor to trust you again.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • mcjimjammmcjimjam Posts: 307
    edited 04/24/2014 - 7:41 PM
    Norco is a weaker medication than Oxycontin or oxymorphone. Why don't you just tell your doctor what you've told us, that you feel Norco works better for you and you are better able to function? That is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Doctors have a lot of knowledge but if you don't tell them how you have fared with various treatments, they are missing some important information. If your doctor prescribes a new med, she expects you to tell her if it isn't working as well as the previous one. She also expects you to tell her of any troublesome side-effects. You need to give her this information or she cannot manage your pain properly. You also must be extremely careful about following directions with these medications. Don't take more than it says on the label, don't take it more often, don't take it in a different way. Take what you are prescribed now. If a doctor changes you from one drug to another, dispose of the old medication. If you are in intense pain despite your treatment, contact your doctors office rather than taking more medication than you are supposed to take. It would even be better to go the emergency room than to take too much/wrong medicine.

ETA: Okay, I was a little confused and thought you were taking the Norco and Oxy at the same time. If you just stopped the Oxy because of side-effects and went back to Norco, I don't think that is such a huge deal. It doesn't look so bad. Just tell your doctor what you did and why. Opiates are tricky, but generally this sort of thing happens a lot in the wider realm of medicine. It's sort of in the league of people not taking the full course of antibiotics, which so many don't. You won't hang for it.
  • HanniesmomHHanniesmom Posts: 23
    edited 04/24/2014 - 6:41 PM
    You don't have to take anything you don't want to. Tell your dr. Norco works better for you and probably a little less addictive.
advertisement