Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Fentanyl Help

Comments

• sandisandi Posts: 6,269
    edited 05/02/2014 - 7:49 AM
    SarahLindeau said:
    Wow Sandi. That is a very sad post to read and know how terribly you are suffering. Your demeanor here is nothing but pleasant and helpful and that says a lot, considering the pain and anger you must be feeling. You haven't shown any self pity here at all. I wish nothing but the best for you and that you get your miracle.
    Thanks Sarah,
    I am not big in the self pity department, I am stubborn, to a fault, at times......LOL and this time it worked in my favor......at least so far. When the time comes , and I have no alternative but to go ahead with the surgery, I will hope for the best and prepare for the worst......at least I already have that motorized wheelchair and I like the color. :wink:" alt=":wink:" height="20" />
    The plus side is that while all of that was going on, I had to make the mental adjustment to facing life in a chair, and at least I know that I can handle it.....although I am sure that there will be a bit more of adjustment to make once it happens for sure......but I used that manual custom chair for almost two years so I got used to it......and actually I can pull one mean wheelie! :grin:" alt=":grin:" height="20" />
  • Hi Sandi,
    I saw the new pain doctor and although he said, he has stopped taking on new pain management patients, he is going to take me on. I was recommended to him by a friend of his. He said I have many pain generators and should be in pain management. He suggested an increase in the Oxycontin to 60 mg, but I want to wait to see if an injection and therapy can help me. I signed a contract for the FIRST time in 8 years. lol. I have medication for a month, so I will go back in a month to get scripts and set up injections and therapy. It does not seem like the Oxycontin last 12 hours, so he said that is when I should use the breakthrough med.

I will write my old pain doctor. He was very nice, he just had such a large practice. He could not keep up with his residents. They were only on a monthly rotation. Every visit, you got a different resident, who never saw you before. So, there was no continuity of care. When you called, you got a resident, who knew nothing about you.

We only called once, about the Fentanyl. You were so much more help! The new doctor gave my husband his cell phone number and promised to answer our calls.You are going to laugh, but when the old doctor took me off the Fentanyl. , I had a box left. I handed it to him and the resident and said, "Give this to someone who can't afford them." They were laughing and said that is illegal. So much I know. lol.

I am also taking DHEA for my Addison's. I am really low in it and my endo wants me to try taking it again. A lot of people with Addison's says it also helps with pain.
    Hope you all are enjoying this beautiful weather! Thanks again and God Bless!!
    Mary Anne.
    Take care and God Bless,
    Mary Anne
  • advertisement
  • I am glad to hear that the appointment with the new doctor went well and you have a new game plan to manage the pain. I think that your wanting to wait to see how the injections and therapies work before increasing the meds is a good one.
    I have found that less is more when it comes to managing pain and using opiates.....there are times , such as after a surgery or acute flare up when the increased meds are necessary , but I have found that if you can keep the med dose on the lower end of the spectrum, for as long as you can, your body does make an adjustment , and it leaves you more room to wiggle with dosages or different medications later on, when things worsen because of increased deterioration or symptom increase.....I just turned 50 this year, so I figure I have another 25 years or so to deal with this stuff......so the lower I can keep my meds now, and use other modalities to treat "those days" when things are worse than normal, the more options that I have saved for myself later......when I don't have any other option.
    Make sense?
    I was going to my pm doctor for 6 years before I ever signed the contract.....so the first time is a bit weird, but I haven't had to sign another one since......
  • Fentanyl is one of the easier opioids to wean yourself down from. But YOU have to stop abusing it. Stop buying it off your street drug supplier. If you have a severe back pain condition, start by keeping it out of your mouth. You are intelligent and you KNOW what you have to do. This med is not for getting HIGH ON. Stop making excuses and slowly WEAN yourself off the patch you are putting in your mouth everyday. Get a therapist or start going to Narcotics Anonymous.Once you keep the Fentanyl out of your mouth, start evaluating whether you are in pain or just want to get high. I think you just want to get high. Once you have been off the fentanyl "chewing gum" then discuss with your doctor whether you need a higher dose. Does he also give you oral breakthrough pain meds????? You need to face REALITY! If your pain is not well controlled with the patch then start being HONEST with yourself and your MD. I would not recommend anything oral for you because it is too easy to take more pills then you need and then you will end up over-dosing and die. Do you have a good job? Do you have a wife/partner and kids? Do you have people who love and care about you?? If you can't help yourself get better then do it for the people that love and care about you. You are in alot of emotional pain, aren't you? I know what you are going through. STOP ABUSING AND GET HELP NOW!!!!!!
  • this thread was started in april, and the person, last that we knew, big was going to get treatment.........he has not been back to update anyone, although i hope that he does, when he is more stable and clean of the abuse of the medications.
    we appreciate your thoughts, and want to welcome you to spine-health. https://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/welcome-message-resource
  • advertisement
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,269
    edited 05/13/2014 - 4:31 AM
    Just wondering how you are doing? Good or bad, please let us know........you can always pm me if you feel more comfortable.
advertisement