Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

New Journal on my SCS repair surgery-results in-READ

advertisement

Comments

• murraymrmmurraymr Posts: 102
    edited 06/12/2014 - 6:22 AM
    Lcochran4 said:
    My biggest issue is having another incision in my back. I've already has 2 back surgeries and my most recent required a large incision from L3-S1. For some reason things didn't heal properly so I'm concerned about additional scar tissue formation. I had such a rough recovery from my last surgery so I was trying to avoid another one. From what I can tell this is less invasive?
    They usually put an incision on the upper buttock; which is unseen and away from the spine. That is what they did for me, it is about 3". For Boston Sci, they use these new anchors for the upper lead to reduce migration, so they also had to cut me in the lower thoracic, another 3" incision. However, these are not deep cuts, mainly subcutaneous. Also, I think Medtronic most likely would do one incision, but that is up to your surgeon.
    Lcochran4 said:
    Was anesthesia used or were you awake for the permanent implant?
    They use anesthesia.
    Lcochran4 said:
    It's a Medtronics device that would be used. From what I can tell future surgeries will be needed to change the battery pack, is that correct?
    Yes, only at the implant site, but that is 5-10 years apart. by that time, the next battery will probably last 15 years.
    Lcochran4 said:
    Is recovery similar to previous back surgeries you've had? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just having trouble deciding what to do. I know it's different for everyone but I'm trying to get a general idea of what I can expect.
    Initial recovery was similar, but much shorter. After about 5 days, the real soreness was going away and was reducing meds. I get a little sore at the battery now, but I am not quite two weeks out. Stim relief was instant.
    Murraytscan@yahoo.com
    L4-L5 fused at birth (congenital malformity). L-5-S1 bulge/degeneration, L3-L4 bulge/degeneration. Permanent nerve damage L5-S1 and L3-L4. Fused C5-C7.
  • Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. That was very helpful.
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • advertisement