Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

WHEN DOES THE PAIN STOP AFTER ACDF C3/4?

HI All, I am 6 days post op and I am still having alot of pain especially in the back of my neck shoulders and of course inscsion area. I am taking all my pain meds 2 to 3 Norcos in the morning for breakthru pain robaxin and tramadol, after they kick in Im a little better but I was wondering how long will it take for my pain to be tolerated or no more ??? I dont want to keep taking all these Narcotics but I have to just to be able to not cry out in pain , I have NEVER been in this much pain in my while life I am 46 yrs old woman. I am walking around my mobile home community each day as I know that helps but Im feeling helpless right now PLEASE anyone who had this surgery please tell me when you pain stopped after surgery also on my MRI he only did fusion on C /3 C/4 BUT the exact same wording is on my other levels that are just as bad does anyone ever had to have surgery again later on down the line for the other levels?? could my pain be from the surgery irritiating the other levels too!???? Thank you for all your answers please help me out here as I dont know what to look forward to.
ACDF One level C- 4 April 2014
DDD
Cervical Spondylosis \ Myelopathy
Chronic pain sufferer since 2005
advertisement

Comments

• Everybody I talked to said that it was the easiest surgery they had ever had, I for one would have to disagree! I had a rough time with the pain too, It does get easier, I had a followup with my dr at 2 weeks and I wasn't pain free then but I was getting there. It will just gradually start to go away little by little. I couldn't eat because my throat was so swollen, the back of my neck hurt where they did the work, my incision never hurt but it is completely numb still to this day, I don't know if that will ever come back but it isn't bothersome so I guess thats a plus that it didn't hurt. I am just over a month out and I am still taking the narcotics, just one in the morning to help with the stiffness and 1 in the evening and I want to cut that back to 1 in the morning soon. Your walking is probably helping you but it might also be too much, you can only be the judge of that but I didn't do much the first couple days then I started walking but just around the yard and around the house. Everybody heals different, but it should ease up pretty soon. Your other levels might get irritated but if your surgeon didn't do the other levels then he must have had a reason, I have other bad levels too but my surgeon said that they aren't the ones causing the problem and he wanted to fix the problem and not worry about the others unless they start hurting. I still get shocks once in a while too, I figure that is just the nerves healing.
    Best of luck to you and hopefully things start to feel better pretty soon.
  • stasiamariesstasiamarie Posts: 62
    edited 04/24/2014 - 6:56 AM
    I agree everyone heals differently ! I just pray that the pain goes away !!! its very depressing thank God for the Klonopin my priamary gives me for the anxiety I get with this pain !!! Or I would nt be able to sleep !!! good luck in your recovery as well Thank You for your post it really uplifted my day !! :) OHH and it was NOT the easiest surgery for me it was the HARDEST most painfull one I have ever had . hope my other issues in my other levels stay at bay and doent rear their ugly heads for a while !!! Thank You for your time on re posting your opinion and your results after surgery . I really love the support and information I get on this website and the friends I have made too! Have a Great Pain Free day !!
    DDD
  • advertisement
  • ECHEECH Posts: 19
    edited 04/25/2014 - 11:13 AM
    Hi stasiamarie:
    Like jbnms said, we all have different experiences with this surgery. At 6 days I don't think you can expect much relief. My surgery was over 2 years ago. I must say that my incision never did hurt, however, I still have neck pain. I had to wear a collar for a very long time even though I fused quite quickly. The collar caused a lot of tension in my shoulders so I was very happy when I finally got rid of that. If you end up going to PT it will help with some of your early pain. I think the nerve pain is very common and it will subside in time. Right now I think you just have to wait and see how it goes and stay in touch with your doctor while getting the proper medication or whatever he prescribes for you. I hope you start feeling relief soon.
    2007 TLIF L2-L3 Fusion; 2012 C4 Corpectomy, C3-5 Fusion.
  • Now I got a huge lump on my inscision area its huge and hard and its very painfrull I called the DR on call he said it may be a hematoma and that to watch it and if ti gets worse or have a hard time breathing then to go to the ER! I hate that place their ER sux you gotta wait 10 hrs to get seen in there thats how crowded they are the only way Ill go is if I cant breathe or if it get more bigger and harder, its so weird did any of you get one of those??/ thanks for your time :)
    DDD
  • ECHEECH Posts: 19
    edited 04/29/2014 - 4:18 PM
    I had little trouble with my scar, the only thing was it itched as it was healing. As it healed I was told to gently message it to help avoid scar tissue from building up. Also, PT told me to keep lotion on it, supposedly vitamin E oil is good for your skin, I haven't tried it. I don't think you are far enough out to be messaging your scar are you? Keep on top of it and don't hesitate to call your doctor if you are having a problem.
    2007 TLIF L2-L3 Fusion; 2012 C4 Corpectomy, C3-5 Fusion.
  • advertisement
advertisement