Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Carrying Pain Medication in Public

Does anyone know the exact policy on carrying controlled pain medication? I read somewhere that it is illegal to carry prescription meds in anything but the bottle it was originally dispensed and I'd assume controlled substances would be even stricter. I only get a small amount of norco at a time but they give me an unreasonably big bottle for the amount so typically I peel the label back and stick it to a smaller bottle(still prescription bottle tho) so I dont have a huge bulge in my pocket when I walk around lol, is this legal? As I said it has the prescription label on it and it is in a prescription bottle from the same pharmacy, just not the original bottle it was dispensed from.

I also put my pills(prescript and not) into a mint container before meals to be discreet instead of whipping out 5 bottles at the dinner table(thats just awkward) but it looks like that could definitely be illegal :/ bummer. Also what about weekly pill planners?
advertisement

Comments

• sandisandi Posts: 6,269
    edited 04/26/2014 - 4:20 AM
    When you get your meds dispensed, they can print two labels for the bottles, one for you to carry with you (much smaller bottle with label attached), and one for the main bottle at home. That way, you have the bottle with the label attached, and can carry enough meds with you , legally for the day or duration that you will be away from home. As far as the weekly pill planner goes, you normally wouldn't take that with you out for a day trip or a few days but you can ask them to print you off labels for the meds to keep with the planner.....
    All you have to do is ask the pharmacy to do that for you.
  • Thanks Sandi
    I always leave the major part of my meds at home and take what I need in the bottle with me.
    I don't like to carry all of them with just in case.
    Funny how we never think of those ideas to make it all safe.
    You know so much it is great.
    Thanks Sherri
  • advertisement
  • I have them print me off labels to keep with my weekly med box in the event that I do go away with family or vacation.....I don't stick them to the box, but have them on the paper backing, just in case......
    All of this comes from dealing with pain management for some years now......you learn the tricks of the trade mostly be experience.....at least that's what I tell myself.....LOL :-)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,347
    I dont want to carry a lot of different medications around during the day, so I combine them into one small canister, that is my supply for the day.
    I never carry the original pain container.

But I do have a printout (scaled down to fit in my wallet of all my medications)

Is this the suggested way? No, the formal way is to carry all your medications in their original containers
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
    edited 04/26/2014 - 8:48 AM
    when i go out or to work, i have a small bottle that i keep my meds in. my problem is that i know this bottle should be labled but i have not done so. so next week i will go to my pharmacy and ask them for a label to put on my bottle. it is a very small bottle but i think the labe should fit. me bad for not doing a label when i know i should have one on the bottle. i guess it is laziness that keeps me from doing it. i usually keep it in my backpack that i take to work. i put everyting in it, my male purse. i put in my phone, my tools that i use, my calculator, food, drinks, wallet, my male items that i use to make myself pretty, comb, uzi 9 millimeter, stiletto blade, hacksaw, dictionary, and computer. everything but no label on my meds. it will be done, yes it will be done.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • advertisement
  • TarenTTaren Posts: 524
    edited 04/26/2014 - 10:38 AM
    i usually keep it in my backpack that i take to work. i put everyting in it, my male purse. i put in my phone, my tools that i use, my calculator, food, drinks, wallet, my male items that i use to make myself pretty, comb, uzi 9 millimeter, stiletto blade, hacksaw, dictionary, and computer. everything but no label on my meds. it will be done, yes it will be done.
    jon

You sound like McGyver lol
  • First, being a woman, I only buy large "shopper" purses that have 3 compartments, the middle compartment has to have a zipper closure. I put all my meds, in their original containers, in a make-up bag and put them in the middle, zipped, compartment of my purse & they go where I go. I'm too afraid to leave them at home, even in a safe. Since there is no circumstance whatsoever that my dr will replace my meds be it robbery, fire, hurricane, tornado, stolen or lost, I have to keep up with them and know where they are at all times. I don't like having to be so conscious of my medications all the time but I guess there isn't an option. The only medication I don't keep in there is my insulin, which has to be kept refrigerated.
  • taren
    i am a lot better looking, inellegent , and humble than he is. plus my hair is combed better and neater.
    jon el perfecto hombre
    yo soy muy wapo tambien
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • TarenTTaren Posts: 524
    edited 04/26/2014 - 1:18 PM
    Jon, vous etes plein de vous-meme, mais nous je'taime de toute facon!!!! :-)
  • If I have to take a dose while I'm out I put some tablets in a little pill container that is attached to my key ring. I am only taking codeine/paracetamol though, which is not a controlled drug here. I think if I was to do the same with a controlled drug and somehow got caught, it would be alright as long as I could prove they were prescribed to me, but that's just a guess. Some meds come in huge boxes and must be taken a few times a day, they can't expect us to lug the whole lot around, can they?
advertisement