Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Carrying Pain Medication in Public

Comments

• LTee43 said:
    I carry just enough for the day when I'm going to work or staying local. If I travel, I'll take my dailys for the duration with me plus a day or so extra in case my flight gets cancelled or something like that.

The rest I stash away, somewhere I have a post about someone getting into mine a couple of years ago Xmas and helping themselves to 12 of them.

LT
    I do the same, except when I travel I take everything because I wear patches and sometimes they can fall off early, so I like extra just in case. Then worst case scenario if all the patches fall off early I could at least make it by on my BT meds. The patches are great but when they fall off early it can be very stressful.
  • have you tried the tegaderm dressings or bioclusive dressings? I know they work with the fentanyl patches and I assume they should also work with the bupe patches.
    It is worth finding out, that way, you don't loose the patches. I have had a few fentanyl patches come off over the years, and have been able to restick them using the tegaderm....they weren't perfect but it did work.
    You can find them on auction sites pretty easily and much cheaper than buying them in pharmacies and medical supply houses.
  • advertisement
  • I haven't tried those but I typically use surgical tape when they start to crease and peel too much, using a strip of tape on each side of the patch. This usually works well enough to make it through the end of the week but always want to be extra safe on trips.
  • i go to my neighborhood pharmacy today and i will ask them for a very small label. the bottle i use is one that used to use oxy pills. it is very small.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.

• From all I've read here and other forums where people have gotten pulled over with prescribed controlled substances, it seems the official way to carry is in the original prescribed bottle. But as Sandi mentioned you can get an extra smaller prescription bottle if you ask the pharmacy when picking up the med.

Still, if you don't do this it seems cops and enforcement are generally okay with carrying it outside the original bottle as long as you can promptly and quickly show proof of prescription and legality to carry the med(based purely off anecdotal evidence). So carrying the prescription paper in wallet or glovebox looks like an efficient way to clear your name with an officer. If you don't have papers on hand you WILL get in trouble - they will seize your meds and you'll be charged with possession of a controlled substance, and only will have a brief window to reclaim your meds and have charges dropped by bringing your prescription into station before the meds are sent out to a lab for testing.

Also to note, prescription bottles have child safety locks, many smaller containers don't, if you are around children the only safe way to carry meds is in its proper dispensed or locking container.

Long story short, carrying in original prescribed bottle is the only full-proof way to carry meds legally and safely. But this isn't always practical and as long as you have a child-proof container and all proper documentations for your meds on hand, you generally should be fine carrying these meds in public.

You have to remember these laws were put in place to catch bad guys, not for throwing cripples in jail only to have a winning court case that causes a loss of money and bad PR for the police dep.
  • advertisement
advertisement