Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

When can I lift heavier than 10 lbs?

I am recovering well from acdf c5-c6 c6-c7 with cadaver allograft and titanium plate.I am 6 weeks post-op and and don't see my NS for another couple of weeks.Still have back of the neck discomfort and in between shoulder blade discomfort.I walk everyday and have been doing pt since 2 weeks post-op (NS told me no collar needed).I am going stir crazy not being able to do anything around the house.I was wondering if anyone got back to regular everyday activities after the 6 week mark.
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,745

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
    edited 05/17/2014 - 11:16 AM
    6 weeks! i had to wait for at least a year before lifting any more than 5 lbs. bending, twisting or climbing. also i had to wear my brace for 7-8 months. just a warning, if you do not follow your doctors directions, you can harm your surgery and all will be wasted. i would make an appointment to make sure you are on the same page with your doctor. i had a L5 fusion when i had these restrictions and another fusion on the L3 2 years ago, and nothing changed with restrictions. i also had to use a device to take care of myself when having a bowel movement because i could not twist to take care of myself. this is just a word of caution. please follow your doctors direction to the T
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • advertisement
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 1,033
    edited 05/17/2014 - 11:41 AM
    I'm hearing you but if I can make you feel any better, I am restricted to 2.5 lbs. for each hand for 3 months at minimum, that is when my follow-up visit is. I do have a collar 24/7 and I did weight lifting for almost 4 years pre-op just about every single day.
    But I am just 6 weeks out of a posterior cervical fusion from C2 all the way down to T3. I think I'm pretty much going to stick to the rules as I don't ever want to go through that procedure again. They tell me if I mess it up it's even worse to repair it.
    Ranger
  • ChelleBelleATXCChelleBelleATX Posts: 67
    edited 05/17/2014 - 4:23 PM
    terror8396 said:
    6 weeks! i had to wait for at least a year before lifting any more than 5 lbs. bending, twisting or climbing. also i had to wear my brace for 7-8 months. just a warning, if you do not follow your doctors directions, you can harm your surgery and all will be wasted. i would make an appointment to make sure you are on the same page with your doctor. i had a L5 fusion when i had these restrictions and another fusion on the L3 2 years ago, and nothing changed with restrictions. i also had to use a device to take care of myself when having a bowel movement because i could not twist to take care of myself. this is just a word of caution. please follow your doctors direction to the T

Hi Jon, would you please pm me with info on this device youre speaking of. I am having a 360 fusion on l4-s1 and thats one of the things i have been wondering how i am going to take care of. Thanks in advance! :)
    jon
    Grade 1 Anterolisthesis/Spondy L5/S1 with Modic changes and mild disc protrusion, DDD, Osteoarthritis L2/L3, Stenosis, Sciatica, Herniation L4/L5. Scheduled for 360 spinal fusion/decompression July 1, 2014.
  • advertisement
  • the device was a barbacue object that one uses to pick up meet and turn it. people also have one in the kitchen to turn over meat on the stove. instead of the hospital charging you for one, go buy one cheap and you put toilet paper in it and use it to wipe yourself so that way you dont twist when wiping yourself. the hospital charges tons of money. get one at the store for cheap and use that. i actually laughed when i saw it when the hospital gave it to me. i told them i could use it for wiping and for cooking, but i would have to clean it off first. by the way i still have it along with my walker and other assorted items for self care.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,522
    The best answer is when your surgeon says you can.

For some, there will always be a pound limitation, be it 10,20,30 or more

For my first ACDF is was 6 weeks, my second it was 9 weeks, third it was almost 12 (but the pound limitation then was 20 or 25 pounds)

If you are itching to do some more, contact your surgeon by phone and ask the question.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • I am 8 weeks post op and I haven't technically been released from my weight limit restrictions yet but he did tell me that he gives the same restrictions to a 70 year old woman and if I wanted to do more just to do it carefully and listen to my body. I am 36 and I only had 1 level done c6 - c7 so it isn't exactly the same. Being that you had 2 levels done and you're only 6 weeks out I would use some caution trying to do too much.
  • following a 3 level ACDF and then a gallon limit which equates to about 8 pounds until the 12 week. At my 12 week appointment Dr released me to normal activities just said to listen to my body, if you do something that aggrevates anything stop and don't do it again.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • That is what I am kind do dreading,another 6 weeks of that limit.I see my NS on week 8 which is June 2nd.He'll look at the X-rays and we'll go from there I guess.I won't push it but it's hard and just doing a few minor tasks around the house has me running for the heating pad.I should stop complaining because all the pre-op pain and Hell I WAS experiencing is history.I'll just keep singing Guns and Roses song "Patience" in my head all day lol
advertisement