Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Does my case require Surgery!!?

Thank you in advance for your support and feedback.
My case is 3 years old with lumber disks issues and sciatica and I have been living with pain for quite a while by now. My treatments included Osteopath, Chiropractic and Physiotherapy and they have proven great in reducing symptoms only. However, I am sure by now that I have a spine imbalance that is causing me recurring pain despite all exercises recommended for core strengthening and stretches.

I would appreciate your professional feedback in my case and whether a surgery is a must as expressed by many Orthopedics I met before.

My MRI report says:
Transition vertebra at the lumbarsacral junction – Sacralization of L5. Based on that there is a grade 1 anterolisthesis at the level L4-L5 with a diffusely protruded disk, which contributes to complete obliteration at the left neural faramen and additional narrowing of neural foramina at this level caused by bony element.
Less advanced lumbar spondylosis is seen at the level L3-L4. Multiple schmorl nodules in the thoracic spine and mild thoracic/cervical spondylosis noted.
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,658
    edited 05/17/2014 - 9:11 PM

There is nobody on the forum qualified to advice on an MRI finding the rules state....
    5.13 You agree not to ask for any analysis or interpretation of diagnostic tests (ie MRI, CTScans, EMG, etc.),
    Advice on whether surgery is necessary or not has to be a personal decision taken on the information discussed with your doctors.

http://www.spine-health.com/blog/considering-spine-surgery-what-you-need-know

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/mri-reports-why-we-cant-advise

Welcome to Spine-Health and how to get started here

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Thank you Liz,
    What I am looking for is more of understanding of my case details based on the report provided. And also relate to people with similar cases so we can share ideas and solutions.
  • advertisement
  • Surgery is between you and your doctor. All the forum moderators remind us. I get it but you want some understanding. Just from what you have posted it sounds like you have some degeneration and nerve compression but a qualified physician can tell you this better than anyone here. I just had my primary care physician look at my MRI findings and say "what a mess"……so I'm guessing my spine looks like train wreck. Most people don't want to be cut into for a surgery that can be life changing, so I get it. Please ask your doctor to explain some of these issues to you as the more you know the more informed decision you can make to future treatments. To be 100% pain free is a goal but realize that you will have good and bad days. If the doctors won't help you understand then get linked up with a good physical therapist that can explain. They can tell you a great deal of information as they actually work with people who actively work through their pains and become more functional.
advertisement