Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Losing weight with sciatica

advertisement

Comments

• Hlo everyone m 22 yrs old male and had 2 epidural steroid injection as i have been suffering from sciatica since 1 year. Now its much easier for me to move around. I walk daily 2 km. I am able to exercise. 

Besides all these one thing i can't do is to loose weight. I am 5'11 weighing about 92 kgs and yes its 10 to 15 kg more. Since i can't do any cardio, or any other vigorous exercise to loose weight m frustrated. I have no idea how to loose weight..... Plz any help wud be really appriciated
  • MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 692
    At 5'11/92kg how much do you intend to lose? Are you hoping to lose weight or get rid of the sciatica? Last question....once the steroid wears off what then? 
  • advertisement
  • DayCrowDDayCrow North CarolinaPosts: 12

sandi said:

Honestly, even medications specifically designed for nerve pain don't help. I was in a car crash and since have had extreme sciatica in my left leg and am on long acting gabapentin AND nucenta and still no relief. However, acupuncture and diagnostic ultrasound work wonders. As far as losing weight, I've always been an athlete before my accident so between a bunch of farm work and riding up to 8 horses a day, I ate about 3000 calories a day but was a very normal weight for my height and all muscle. Now that I've lost all my muscle, I've had to really cut my calories. Cutting gluten, artificial sweeteners, and refined sugars from your diet not only cuts your daily calorie intake to a fraction of what it was, but also slows the inflammatory response in the body, which is helpful for nerve healing and pain. As far as exercise, there are core exercises you can do while lying down or sitting that don't even require being able to stand up. Hope this helps!

• MarWin said:

At 5'11/92kg how much do you intend to lose? Are you hoping to lose weight or get rid of the sciatica? Last question....once the steroid wears off what then? 

The steriod effect doesn't last...i hv got my third injection too 2 weeks ago and... 70 to 80% improvement. I hv seen and met ppl with 5 yrs and still no pain after having epidurals...

And i intend to loose about 10 kgs

Thanks
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 448
    I was at my healthiest adult weight ever when I severely herniated L5-S1 (nothing I did, it was just a long time coming!), and being in excruciating pain 24/7, it was very difficult to keep my focus on 'eat less, move more'.  I moved very little, ate a lot out of frustration and pain.  The medication has hard on my tummy so I ate to ease the ache.  I was prescribed gabapentin, which is notorious for weight gain.  I regained 27 lbs of the 37 I had lost just prior to my injury!  Fast-forward through surgery and recovery, getting off of prescription meds :) a re-herniation almost a year post-op  :'( and I am very slowly back to losing, like 10 lbs in 6 months.  I'm still dealing with pain, but trying not to ease it with food.  For the most part, as long as calories in (what you eat/drink) are less than calories out (exercise), you should lose weight.  There are wonderful calorie-counting sites that help you to keep track, works well for me.  It's hard enough to lose weight when everything's working the way it should; you add pain management to the mix and the struggle gets a little harder.  But it can be done, all the best of luck to you!
  • advertisement
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.