Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial


In this Discussion

There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Reherniated L5/S1 - second discectomy or fusion?

Jo_vdhJJo_vdh Posts: 41
Hi All,

It's been some time since my last post about my back problems and while I'd like to say that things have improved, they haven't.

After herniating 3 discs in 2009, I had a L5-S1 microdiscectomy in January 2011... From then I had a period of relieft, but in 2012 the leg pains returned. Since the return of the leg pains, I've had 2 x MRI, 1 x CT myleogram and Nerve conduction studies to try and find the cause of the pain.... The MRIs and CT came back clear while the nerve conduction study showed chronic denervation at the L5/S1 level. They were all done in June/July last year.

Since then I've been on lyrica trying to manage the burning sensation and numbness in my left leg. In December I had RFN done on some of the nerves to see if that would assist - it didn't.

A CT scan done 3 weeks ago has shown a re-herniation at the L5/S1 level, left sided, just as it was originally.

I'm heading back to my neurosurgeon tomorrow to find out what course of action he suggests. In the mean time, I'm just after some reassuring words from those who have reherniated the same disc in the same location twice or more, along with any info on what procedures you underwent to correct it the second time - did you opt for a second discectomy, or did you go for a fusion? I've been doing some reading and have found differing opinions on what the best option is, so I'd just like to hear others experiences with this.

July 2009 - L1, L3, L5 disc hernation
Jan 2011 - L5/S1 Microdiscectomy
Dec 2012 - return of neural symptoms
June 2014 - fusion recommended - awaiting insurance approval


  • So I was due to see the neurosurgeon today to find out what the plan of attack is for the herniated L5/S1 disc, but got a call this morning from his receptionist to tell me he'd been called into emergency surgery and my appointment for today needed to be rescheduled.... There's a 2 week wait to get in for the rescheduled appointment.

    I know I can't complain, cos if I was in need of emergency surgery I'd want it done then and there too, but I'm feeling a little frustrated after waiting this long and being so close to an answer only to be told to wait another 2 weeks for an answer.

    It's really starting to get to me. Mentally I'm stuggling to keep it together, between the pain and the uncertainty of what's going to happen and if/when I will recover it's getting harder to deal with the longer this drags on.

    Apologies for the rant, I just need to get it off my chest so I don't go crazy today.
    July 2009 - L1, L3, L5 disc hernation
    Jan 2011 - L5/S1 Microdiscectomy
    Dec 2012 - return of neural symptoms
    June 2014 - fusion recommended - awaiting insurance approval
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.