Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Physical and Emotional Pain

Comments

• I'm so glad you're starting to feel better. I know now what you've been going through & the action you've taken. My responses here were back when it first started & I didn't know what was going on or the 'action plan' in place. Back then it sounded very different to how it played out. I think you dealt with all this in the best possible way. Sometimes it takes a bit of a chat to really understand someone's situation. What I said here was just my gut reaction to someone saying they can't get out of bed, which we all know isn't the best way to deal with chronic pain. It's great that you're up & about again. Hopefully you can enjoy your summer, maybe not tall dark strangers on sun drenched beaches but I'd settle for mates down the pub right now ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I feel like this daily... it's terrible. I have the daily wonder of if I'll ever be able to have children. Even if I am... how fair is this going to be for them? They wouldn't have asked for a mother with mood swings, depression, social anxiety, lack of patience.... What child deserves that? So, did I get my right of having children taken from me ever since my accident?
    Does this ever get better? Is there any chance of not feeling like I'm useless and just waiting each day for the miracle of waking up and not feeling pain? I'm only 4 months post op...but feels like a lifetime. Is there any light at the end of this tunnel?!
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,521
    but over time, as you go more into your recovery period and then what I call your adjustment period you should see a lot of positive strides. They may not be big ones, but they will be heading in the right direction.

For you now, the most important thing to concentrate is adhering to all the limits and restrictions outlined by your doctor. Weight limits, bending, etc. One a patient does all of that the odds in getting better faster increase.

The physical pain will start to go away. Perhaps in a years time, you may not even remember all the physical pain you went through.

The emotional pain. Time still does wonders in reducing that. There are hundreds of mothers out here who either had child birth before or after their spinal surgery. They can attest that it can be a challenge, but its remarkable how much those little ones understand.

From a mans point of view, I felt I was not able to do all the things I should have been doing with my children as they were growing up. They understood without a word being spoken. Today, they are 40 and 36 and they still look after their Dad!
    They will come over and help around the house. My wife has been picking up for my slack for 35+ years, so she could always use some help.

Melissa, for now, concentrate on getting into the best condition you possible can... Then you can concentrate on raising a family.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Thank you for that. You are very lucky to have such a supportive family!!
    I know they're silly worries now and I need to take one day at a time, I guess I just can't help but to think these things, ya know? Thank you for the read and advice- you're right. I hope your pain iis subsiding, as well!
  • Hi Melissa,

Maybe make small goals for yourself that you can work towards. I know your loaded with some big time concerns, but perhaps making a list and setting goals one at a time may help. My guess is that by the time you hit the 6 and 9 month post surgery time frame, you will have a better idea of what your capabilities will be.

Take care!

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • advertisement
advertisement