Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Hi there
I am a 38 year old married woman with a four year old son. I was in a car accident a year ago this past January.
I hurt my neck and shoulders in the accident and have been to physiotherapy and massage therapy but nothing has helped. My husband and I thought a new bed might be the answer so went ahead and got rid of our mattress for a pillow top one. Well ever since I have been so much worse, we have had it for a year now. Not only do I have shoulder and neck pain but its much worse and I have lower and upper back pain too. It's hard to get comfy and I wake hardly being able to move as my whole back, neck and shoulders hurt beyond belief! This is not how I should be at my age. I fear that if I try anything else for my pain it won't get better because its partly the mattress. I am only 110 pounds petite lady so I wonder if may be I am not getting the support I need as I don't sink into the support? We are willing to get another mattress but what you try at the store isn't what you get. Our mattress is still not as we tested at the store. Anyways I have terrible back pain and shoulder pain and need support and help in this. I am lost as to what to do next and it's so depressing to wake every morning in such pain!
Thanks for listening and any advice and help.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi & good luck with your new mattress. What diagnostic tests have you had? Does your latest MRI show much damage? It could be your mattress causing the increased pain but I hope your doctors are making sure its not anything else. I'm a Mum of little kids & I know how hard it is living with chronic pain. I hope you get the information & support you need here. I look forward to seeing you on the forums. Pain can be very isolating we've got a great group here! ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • advertisement
  • Hi everyone,

I have had a cervical MRI, CT scan,
    MRI-Cervical Radiculopathy
    C6-7 broad based disc bulge with central disc protrusion with mild central canal stenosis
    C5-C6 left paracentral disc bulge with mild central canal stenosis

CT Scan-Cervical Spodylosis without contast
    C5-C6 Mild protrusion of disc, mild spurring
    C6-C7 Moderate protrusion of disc. Moderate spurring

I have not had an updated MRI on my lower back at this time.
    Xray-Thoracic or Lumbosacral Neuritits
    Severe degenerative disc disease at L5/S1
    Moderate facet degeneration bilaterally at L5/S1
    Minimal anterollsisthese of L4 over L5

Iam suffering with cervical and lumbar issues, I had my first laminectomy in 2013 for a herniated disc and at that same time I had a bulging disc in the same area. The herniated disc was fixed and the bulging disc has become a constant problem in the last 8 months. It has gone from painful tingling down my left leg to both legs on occasion to a constant pain that barely feels better with Percocet & Somas. I had my first cervical surgery 7 months ago a level 2 and was basically a clean job; they went through the back of my neck. Five months ago I had laproscoptic shoulder surgery for a frozen shoulder and with PT it eventually got better. However, I didn't feel my neck was getting any better and have just found out that its worse than before. They will have to go through the front this time and take out the two discs and replace them with spacers and put in a plate as well. I have had to appeal the particular surgery 3x because my insurance did not think it was medically necessary and would rather me live in pain. At this time I am waiting for for authorization to have my second cervical surgery, and hopefully another lower lumbar surgery as soon as possible.

The medications I take are Percocet ranging from 5-10mg every 3-6 hours and a Soma at night and maybe half of one during the day because i don't want to go to sleep and they make me sleepy.
  • KristaBurke01KristaBurke01 Posts: 18
    edited 07/01/2014 - 12:33 AM
    Hello Everyone, I am new here.

I work online daily so I need to sit in the office. I have got back pain and I am afraid it can get into some serious issues in my back. That's the reason I joined this forum, hope to have great time here.

Thanks and Regards
    Krista Burke :)
  • advertisement
  • Hi Krista. When I first started Physical Therapy they talked to me about good posture, taught me how to bend & lift properly & gave me good stretches & exercise to help my ham strings & build strong core muscles to protect my spine (similar to the exercises you can find on this site). I wish I'd done all that 10 years earlier before my spine was a mess! It's great that you're taking this proactive approach. I wouldn't wish a life of chronic pain on anyone. I hope your 'back pain' isn't effecting your life too much.

Welcome! ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • EnglishGirl said:
    Hi Krista. When I first started Physical Therapy they talked to me about good posture, taught me how to bend & lift properly & gave me good stretches & exercise to help my ham strings & build strong core muscles to protect my spine (similar to the exercises you can find on this site). I wish I'd done all that 10 years earlier before my spine was a mess! It's great that you're taking this proactive approach. I wouldn't wish a life of chronic pain on anyone. I hope your 'back pain' isn't effecting your life too much.

Welcome! ;-)
    Thanks EnglishGirl for the support that I am correct to be concern about my back pain at this stage of my life. It's not hurting me much but sometimes when I bend it starts hurting so I am concern about it. I will surely find some core exercises through this forum, so that I can make my core muscles strong and strengthen my back.
  • Liz said:
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/welcome-spine-health-how-get-started

http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/ergonomics

http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/ergonomics/good-posture-helps-reduce-back-pain
    Thanks Liz, those links really helped me :)

I am more than happy to find all the useful links about what Forum provides you and how to make good posture for sitting.
  • Hi, It is difficult to advise without knowing more details about what is wrong with your neck/shoulder. I have neck/shoulder pain and a pillow top would be AWFUL for me. I have tried a lot and the most critical part for me is the pillow. I roll up a hand towel and put it under my neck.

You might try one of the adjustable mattress that you can change the firmness with a remote. Also, sleeping on my back is best for me. Otherwise, I can barely move when I wake up. If you have a neck injury and/or nerve damage it can cause pain in multiple areas but how you support your neck will be critical.

I wish you the best and hope you can get some dr input to let you know more specifics of your injuries. Best of luck!
advertisement