Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

advice on second spine surgery and some info

So I finally got my revision for a failed multi level spine fusion approved. I had surgery last year in June and it's been nothing but difficulties. My doctor is going back in and I'm scheduled for 2 weeks or so. I just wanted to know from anyone who has had more than 1 surgery if it's more painful the second time around? Or any advice for this surgery?? Thanks everyone!
28 F. Chicago. Fusion from t-12 l-4 from scoli in June 2013. Torn bilateral hip labrums. Arthroscopy to fix labrums January 2013 and march 2013. SI pain from hip surgery Lupus, RA, antiphosphidlipid antibody- hypermobility syndrome ( Marfan syndrome)
advertisement

Comments

• Which levels?
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • SarahLindeauSarahLindeau Posts: 766
    edited 07/18/2014 - 4:15 AM
    Wow, I'm hoping you can find some relief this time. Hugs
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • advertisement
  • 1028761102876 Posts: 248
    edited 07/19/2014 - 8:21 PM
    Personally post surgery was much more rough but I was also told that it may be because of the level I was having it extended onto and also because they used a rib graft. So I was placed on heavier duty meds this time around to try and get my pain down. Other than that it has been the same as my prior fusion. I think what helped me out most my second time around was knowing what was going to happen and being able to bring comfort items. I have found it helpful to go to the floor at the hospital where you will be recovering in order to meet some nurses or at least that helped me. I personally think it was easier because I did know what to expect because when I had my first surgery you are pretty much in the air on a lot of things. If you have any other questions you can ask!
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 1,025
    Hi Danigirl,
    I would say it all depends on a variety of reasons if the second surgery is more painful. I am just post-op of a major multi-level fusion that is almost seven years after the first. The surgery was very long, I was not in a lot of pain for the first two weeks.
    But shortly after I did have some major discomfort probably for the following two to three weeks. I am roughly 14 weeks out now and seem to be doing better all the time.
    So being my first fusion was a 360 of three levels, and this past was a posterior only of eight levels you can understand why this last one was more painful. In all honesty I have had a few other less invasive surgeries that have been more painful recoveries.
    Ranger
  • Thanks for everyone's comments!! I'm going to have to t 12 to l4 redone. I may or may not have something broken or loose back there because I sound like I need WD40 back there every time I move. Basically when I goes back in is when he will determine what's going on. Thanks everyone!
    28 F. Chicago. Fusion from t-12 l-4 from scoli in June 2013. Torn bilateral hip labrums. Arthroscopy to fix labrums January 2013 and march 2013. SI pain from hip surgery Lupus, RA, antiphosphidlipid antibody- hypermobility syndrome ( Marfan syndrome)
  • advertisement
  • You are a trooper! That is a heck of an operation. Good luck!! Stay positive
  • SarahLindeauSarahLindeau Posts: 766
    edited 07/26/2014 - 7:20 PM
    And I cringed at your WD40 comment ! Eeek!
advertisement