Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Need Some Advice Please

I have been dealing with several conditions since 2005. Spondylolisthesis, Spondylosis, Scoliosis, and Lumbar Spinal Stenosis with synovial cysts. By the time I was diagnosed in 2006, I had lost my job and my insurance causing me to not be able to afford care since 2007.

I have been dealing with chronic pain since, holding out for Obama care so they couldn't exclude my spinal condition from Insurance coverage. Well, now my spine won't be excluded but because I haven't worked since 2006, I can't afford insurance coverage. I am not on welfare or Medicaid either.

The past 10 days my pain level has increased exponentially and I can no longer tolerate even sitting still. It just hurts so bad, no matter what I do, how I sit, stand, lay. To be honest I just wish I was dead. Not sure what the emergency room could do to help but I have got to do something. What are my options?
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis with Synovial Cysts
Diagnosed 2006 at age 31


  • Have you thought about applying for Medicaid? ER may be the only option in order to try and get diagnostics approved. However, I don't know if they would do an MRI or not since pain is not usually considered an emergency. Do you have a primary physician you see? You can always make an appointment and get conservative treatments Started. That must be a tough position to be in, but if the pain is that bad then you should be seen. Sometimes hospitals will write off the charges if you apply for it. They base it off income. I would look into applying for Medicaid in the meantime. Since that's income based too you may get approved. Even if you go to the ER you'll still need to find a Dr that you can follow up with for ongoing treatment. At best you may be given pain meds but you'll be asked to recheck elsewhere. You can try ice, heat, OTC meds and creams. Is it back pain, nerve pain or both? I purchased a TENS unit to help with my back pain, it was relatively inexpensive.

    I wish I could help more. I do hope you get some relief.
    Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
Sign In or Register to comment.