Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Some topics/things to always remember

when you have been here for a while, you begin to understand that there really is a small set of problems that are presented here. every once in a while there will be something that is real unique or different. but as a whole, its pretty much the same for all.

here are some things we hear all the time. and they are valid, 100% valid and of concern
  • 1. i need help understanding what my mri report is saying2. i am too young to have these problems, what will be my future?3. my current medications do not work4. physical therapy and all the other treatments dont help5. all the tests prove negative, but i am in a lot of pain
1 even though members may not like to hear this, but when ever a person asks for interpretation or analysis of their mri (or other diagnostic reports) we respond, that we can not. there are no formal medical professionals on the patient forums that are qualified to give you that information. all we can do is talk about the keywords, mild, moderate and severe.

2 pain, spinal problems, etc never discriminate. there are no barriers. people of any age, color, race, creed , belief can experience pain from spinal problems. i know when you are young and start to experience pain, it is very discouraging because it limits what you can do, it hampers you normal life, going out with your friends, etc. no question it is an adjustment. but its something you do need to make. i still believe that having spinal problems at a young age has an advantage. you should be strong and able to respond better to surgery. at that point the major stumbling block would be your mental approach and not your physical approach.

3 when you are in pain, many times the medications you are on are not addressing the problem, or to put it bluntly, they are not taking all your pain away. it is so important to understand that there is not amount of pain medications, dosages, etc that is going to take away all of your pain. sure, if you want to live like a zombie, then i am sure medications could do that. instead, there is a balance of medications, the types (pain, nerve, muscle) and how it all interacts with your day to day life that makes a difference. take a look at the blend

4 ok you know you have some type of spinal problem and you are in pain and its impacting everything you do. the doctors prescribed sessions of physical therapy, spinal injections, etc. you start them all,but you dont see any positive results, instead, many times you find more pain in doing those activities. i am a believer in physical therapy. i recognize it as a major vehicle in spine problem rehab. but i also understand that there are limits and boundaries regarding physical therapy. both this limits should never come into play until you have had a good amount of sessions.
in many ways,the same applies to spinal injections. it seems like there is a 50-50 split in terms of people who get positive results from the various types of spinal injections. i do believe in the and know they can help.

5 i think this is the hardest one to deal with. you started to have these new pains. they could be a result of an auto accident, another form of trauma, or just anything. this really disrupts your life it impacts the way you interact with your family, you are hurting, you go to your doctor to find out what is wrong and what can be done about it. the doctor sets up some diagnostic tests and when it all comes back, you hear those dreaded words based on the results of all your diagnostic tests, our clinical examinations, etc, we so no reason you should be having the pain you say you are having wow, that really hurt! but i see that happen so many times. some of it is true and it might be that the person is not accustomed to any level of pain, then with others, they know how to deal with pain, but there has to be something wrong. there is no easy answer here. my best to offer, would just make sure all the discussions are 100% valid and if you are not satisfied with the diagnosis, then seeking a second opinion might be warranted.

i dont have all the answers,i only want to bring topics like this to the table so we can all discuss them.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement