Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

walking pain for 2.5 yrs post-fusion=dural tear (followed by cauda equina)

Comments

• livingforwardsllivingforwards Posts: 29
    edited 10/13/2014 - 6:20 PM
    had surgery, dural tear was found and repaired. Went home after 48 hrs on back, then getting up slowly. Walked a bit with minimal pain. Went back to ER 3 days later with saddle anesthesia, urinary retention, bowel weirdness (not total incontinence) and L'hermittes Signal. ER did an MRI which showed a larger pool of fluid than the one they had operated on - probably blood this time - putting pressure on some of my cauda equina nerves. ER doc said surgery immediately. Hospital staff said surgery tomorrow. My surgeon showed up and said no surgery, the bladder is malfunctioning from surgical swelling. He deferred to some concerned hospital docs who examined me and apparently discussed surgery or aspiration. They didn't discuss it with me. My surgeon said again for me to go home. Hospitalist waited until my surgeon left the building and said STAY! Because I'm still at risk of developing full cauda equina and all the fun paralysis that goes with that. Bladder had 1.5 liters fluid in it, which means I'll be catheterized for at least a week while the bladder regains tone and function... IF it regains tone and function (and I don't understand HOW it's going to do that with a pool of blood sitting against the nerve).

A tip: if you think you have cauda equina, go to the biggest city hospital ER you can, even on a Saturday night when you think it will be a four hour wait beside drunks with screaming babies. I came back to the suburban hospital of last weeks surgery. They have an ER but honestly it's more like an urgent care. They had to call and wake up the MRI tech to come in. Total mistake. If I'd gone to the city ER I would have already had some action taken to decompress these nerves.
  • You do have the option of asking for another surgical consult with another surgeon. I developed CES as a result of spine surgery the first time, and relieving the compression of those nerves is imperitive......ask for another surgical consult or a transfer to a larger hospital.......
  • advertisement
This discussion has been closed.