Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Cervical Disc Protrusion. Please help

advertisement

Comments

• AnkeJSAAnkeJS Posts: 49
    edited 08/19/2014 - 1:24 PM
    Hi all!

First of all, sorry for all potential typos. I am using my phone and I am on Percocet :)
    I wanted to give y'all a brief summary on my surgery that I had today:

My surgeon cut posteriorly and scrapes out the disc material that protruded into the foramen to the left and pushed on my nerve roots. He removed 4 bone chips that were floating around.
    Everything went very well, he said. The anesthesiologist told my husband it was necessary.
    Now a bit about my experience and pain:

I got up at 5 and arrived at the hospital at 6, checked in and everything just happened smoothly. My vitals and all were checked and then the first nurse tried to do my IV. She tried 3 times but then gave up. She blew my veins and it was quite painful. My anesthesiologist then came in at 7 and took over. She numbed the are and had no problem putting the IV in. My surgeon and neuro-monitoring guy came in and I signed my consent. While rolling to the surgery area I was talking about my giant dogs and crazy cat - that's all I remember. I was out and remember waking up in the waking area. My legs were shaking and I felt some pain all over, but most of all in my throat from the breathing tube.
    I was giving some pudding and Percocet and since have had no major pain. My hard brace was pushing in the back of my neck a bit and I had some trouble finding a comfortable position at first. Taking Percocet with pudding every 6 hours works well. I have not been nauseous and even got up to pee around 11am then walked one floor round and took five stair steps with the PT. The OT said my strength was normal.
    I took another lap with my husband around 5 and had dinner - actually not too bad! Chicken Parmesan, spinach and whipped potatoes.

In sum, my pain has decreased from 9 right after surgery to about a 7, occasionally a 6. I am sleepy and have been watching all those breaking news of today. Will relax a bit and go home tomorrow morning. I had the option leave today but believe it is better to stay one night just in case.

Feel free to ask me questions :)
    C5/C6 herniation
    Radiculopathy left arm
    Posterior foraminotomy 8/19/2014
  • Nice to hear from you. I am glad your surgery went according plan and you are doing well. wish you fast recovery.
  • advertisement
  • so glad things went well!!

why did you need a breathing tube? i heard that some people get the gas instead of the IV. did you get that?

a pain scale of 9 after srugery sounds bad to me. where was all the pain?

hope recovery goes smoothly
  • joshkim178 said:
    so glad things went well!!

why did you need a breathing tube? i heard that some people get the gas instead of the IV. did you get that?

a pain scale of 9 after srugery sounds bad to me. where was all the pain?

hope recovery goes smoothly
    The breathing tube was because of the way I was lying during surgery. I was flipped on my tummy and they cut posteriorly.
    The breathing tubes in my nose over night were because my pulse fell below 40 - I'm an athlete so I have a low pulse to begin with but hey just wanted to keep me safe.
    I got an IV because I had to get one anyway for fluids, some pain meds, and antibiotics afterwards. Maybe I got gas and can't remember :)
    Yes, the 9 was right after surgery and I think it was a combination of shaking, cramping, headaches and being generally uncomfortable.
    In fact, pain was not what I was used to from my left arm radiculopathy. I still have occasional pain in my elbow and bicep and shoulder but nothing compared to before surgery. My left arm and shoulder pain is down to a 0-3. My post surgery pain is from the procedure. Headaches from the halo and the staples in my head, stiffness of my neck and primarily right side and between the shoulder blades from the brace and not being able to relax my shoulders properly. Muscle relaxants help a bit.
    At night, my nurse checked on me every 4 hours. The midnight check was not necessary - I had just fallen asleep. But I was given some more muscle relaxant and took a bathroom break. 4am was necessary for another dose of oxycodone. The nurse said I was doing really well and that most would call before 6 hours were up to get more pain meds. Today, pain has been on a 6 primarily, maybe even a 5 occasionally. I was discharged at 10:30am. I did great on strength tests, walking, and stairs. At home I spend time in the recliner and walked around the house a bit. I took a shower and changed the dressing. Incision "looks good" and only my hair and the staples bother me. Don't want to blow dry my hair so that's been annoying. Then I took a nap on the futon we set up for me; and the futon just might not be the best choice but the bed does not work because we have two giant breed dogs that sleep in it as well and I don't and can't deal with them right now. So I had to move. I slept 4 hours and woke up super stiff which added to my pain and brought it back up to an 8. Now sitting in the recliner. Pain is around a 7. Wished the stiffness wasn't there, but again, generally pain is from the procedure and uncomfortable positions, and the brace. I'm sure I will be fine in a couple of days. Can't wait for being cleared to do exercises that will help loosen my neck up and increase mobility slowly. I might be rating pain higher than it is because it is such different pain and it is my first surgery ever. In sun, I feel like I have been taken very good care of and know who to go to and talk to if I have questions. I have to watch to not overdo anything in moments I feel good. Like reaching up for a glass. I can do it without problems but should not. Little things...
    C5/C6 herniation
    Radiculopathy left arm
  • AnkeJS

it is nice to hear from you . I wish you a fast recovery.
    keep in touch
  • advertisement
  • AnkeJS,

glad you are doing well. I spoke with my NS recently. He told me that I'd be going home the same day. So now I'm wondering why they had you overnight. My NS also told me that I would not be having any staples. Just removable stitches. is that what you are talking about?
  • joshkim178 said:
    AnkeJS,

glad you are doing well. I spoke with my NS recently. He told me that I'd be going home the same day. So now I'm wondering why they had you overnight. My NS also told me that I would not be having any staples. Just removable stitches. is that what you are talking about?
    Initially, they said I could go home the same day. My insurance approved two days at the hospital though. Not sure if that had anything to do with it. While I think I would have been ok leaving later the same day, I was happy to stay a night - the hospital and staff was great :) - also since my blood pressure and pulse were very low I rather wanted to "be safe than sorry". I had e breathing tubes in my nose over night and after checking on me every time it fell below 40 and me telling them it was normal, they finally decided to put alarm at 35...
    Anyway, the staples in my head are about 2 inches above my ears and are from the halo.
    Since it was a posterior cut and to make sure I was 100% still they attached my head to that with staples. They don't hurt and it's supposed to only take a few minutes to get them removed 10 days post op. The stitches from the incision are dissolvable: so I don't think hey need to pull those. I will find out more in Friday.

When is your procedure? How are you feeling?
    I am sure all will go as planned for you!
    Stay positive!
    C5/C6 herniation
    Radiculopathy left arm
  • Hey AnkeJS,

How is your post op going? is the surgeon asking you to wear a soft collar at all? have you been just resting since the procedure? I'm trying to see how long i might be out of work. the surgeon told me 3 weeks but i'm hoping to go back to work in a week if possible? whats your pain like?

My surgery is for octoboer. My numbness and weakness is getting worse. But i'm not sure since i havent even been to the gym for about 2 months. I've been a lot of stretching and traction but things are the same for me

please let me know

glad to see things are going better
  • joshkim178 said:
    Hey AnkeJS,

How is your post op going? is the surgeon asking you to wear a soft collar at all? have you been just resting since the procedure? I'm trying to see how long i might be out of work. the surgeon told me 3 weeks but i'm hoping to go back to work in a week if possible? whats your pain like?

My surgery is for octoboer. My numbness and weakness is getting worse. But i'm not sure since i havent even been to the gym for about 2 months. I've been a lot of stretching and traction but things are the same for me

please let me know

glad to see things are going better
    I am doing really well! I had my 10 day post op yesterday and the doc was very happy with my incision, pulled the sutures and removed the staple from my head. I have been off the narcotics for almost a week. Took oxycodone only twice before bed this week. Also, I started wearing a soft brace a week ago for sleeping and since yesterday only the soft brace. I am walking 6-10km daily and am going to increase to 20k/day this week. Also doing airsquats and lunges. Btw, before the surgery I did A LOT of core strengthening exercises and I think that influenced my quick recovery as other muscles are able to "jump in" while my neck heals.
    So about work, I will start this coming week, so exactly 2 weeks post-op. I'm a bit scared about driving - haven't yet again.
    At my job I sit, stand, and walk and it's up to me how much, so luckily I'm faulty flexible in that and don't anticipate any issues with work itself since most is brainwork ;) just he drive is long and trafficy... But as long as I am off narcotics I should be fine.
    I could have not done anything the first week post-op, mainly because I was tried and drugged. I think the 2 weeks off are perfect though I wouldn't mind giving my body another week.
    Listen to your NS. Stay positive and proactive in recovery and I'm sure you will be fine.
    Could you work from home for a couple of weeks?
    C5/C6 herniation
    Radiculopathy left arm
  • Glad things are progressing well for you! my appt with the NS is next week to schedule surgery and I can not wait. I am hoping for a fast recovery like you. I am in the health care field so I can not work from home. Did the NS recommend the soft brace?

How does your neck feel when you turn it side/side and up/down? do you feel like you have full range of motion? how about the pain down the deltoid/shoulder/arm? any numbness?
advertisement