Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Cervical Disc Protrusion. Please help

advertisement

Comments

• joshkim178 said:
    Glad things are progressing well for you! my appt with the NS is next week to schedule surgery and I can not wait. I am hoping for a fast recovery like you. I am in the health care field so I can not work from home. Did the NS recommend the soft brace?

How does your neck feel when you turn it side/side and up/down? do you feel like you have full range of motion? how about the pain down the deltoid/shoulder/arm? any numbness?
    Yes, my NS recommended the soft brace about 1 week post op for sleeping and then at my follow-up he said only to wear the soft one and then my PT and I will go from there.
    I have my first PT session tomorrow, so I am excited!

Numbness and tingling are completely gone and have not returned even for a second. I did have some residual pain in my biceps, elbow and wrist but haven't complained about that for the last 3 days so maybe with the swelling going down, it's improved.
    I do have some shoulder pain left. I am only 2 weeks post op though and the shoulder pain was what bugged me the most so maybe that is just taking a little longer. It's fine when I am not doing anything but if I lift my arm I can feel a pinch. It's way less than it used to be though. Turning the head and range of motion will be the things I need to work on most with my PT. I guess I am to scared to so anything just ut and my NS told me to only do controlled and slow turns. So I am listening to him. I have no pain when I turn or nod though and despite he fact that I am moving my head slowly currently I don't feel like range of motion will be a problem at all.
    Keep me posted when you will have surgery!
    Also, do lots of core strengthening exercises the weeks before surgery and stay active, as well as eat healthy and drink lots of fluids.
    I think that's what helped me in my speedy recovery so far.

C5/C6 herniation
    Radiculopathy left arm
    Posterior foraminotomy 8/19/2014
  • Hi AnkeJS
    I am very happy for your recovery speed and like to hear from you back on weight lifting. However on one of your post you mentioned your incision is about 2 inches. I was wondering why? because most surgeon use very small incision and use dilator to retract mussels. the incision site is about one centimeter. The procedure called posterior mciro-foraminatomy. can you explain about yours.
    thanks
  • advertisement
  • Fardaaftab,
    I will post about returning to weightlifting once I will probably in a new thread under recovery! So far I am walking a lot and do a 4mph 5k each day. I also do leg lifts and squats but they are so easy it doesn't really do anything. But in telling myself it helps my core :)
    Good question about the incision. I am not sure. The doc said it was normal. It's probably 4cm maybe 5cm. I don't know but I'm also not concerned. It looks good and will fade.
    I think the laser procedure uses smaller incisions.
    Hope that helps
    C5/C6 herniation
    Radiculopathy left arm
  • Hey AnkeJS,

what core exercises have you been doing? I've been biking recently for some activity and a lot of shoulder stretching
  • AnkeJSAAnkeJS Posts: 49
    edited 09/04/2014 - 3:48 AM
    joshkim178 said:
    Hey AnkeJS,

what core exercises have you been doing? I've been biking recently for some activity and a lot of shoulder stretching
    I did airdyne, leg raises, planks, controlled sit ups, controlled airsquats with 20# med ball and controlled 24" box step ups. Plus iron scap band work (you can also use PT Thera bands and tie them to a door and do rows, tiger walks, pull downs etc.
    I also did L-sits on paralellettes and ghd sit-ups.

2 weeks post op now, I had my first PT session and am allowed to do 10# arm curls, walking, leg only airdyne, airsquats and iron scap/ bands.

ALL excercise programs should be cleared and approved by your medical provider post op and specific to your individual condition. It is unwise and unsafe to follow the excercise programs of other members without your doctor's permission.
    C5/C6 herniation
    Radiculopathy left arm
  • advertisement
  • Hey AnkeJS,

My posterior cervical lamino-foraminotomy is scheduled for 3 weeks. i am pretty excited since i have high hopes for this surgery. I was talking to a pt of my surgeon today who had the same procedure and he told me he had intense neck pain post op b/c they had to cut the neck muscles off the bone. did you experience that? how were the pain symptoms after surgery? i was told that I will definitely need the pain killers and muscle relaxers. I was also told that the first week is rough if i try to move my head up and down. did you experience the same thing? let me know. i want to try to PM you but I don't know how ahha
  • The lamina, or the bony protrusions that you can feel on the back of your neck, are removed during some posterior surgeries. Muscles from your neck and back are attached to those bony prominences, so are indeed "cut". I had a 5 level laminoplasty and had an extensive pain medication program when I went home because those muscles take a beating in the posterior surgeries.
    Angi
  • Oops...boney things are called spinous processes.

Angi
  • joshkim178 said:
    Hey AnkeJS,

My posterior cervical lamino-foraminotomy is scheduled for 3 weeks. i am pretty excited since i have high hopes for this surgery. I was talking to a pt of my surgeon today who had the same procedure and he told me he had intense neck pain post op b/c they had to cut the neck muscles off the bone. did you experience that? how were the pain symptoms after surgery? i was told that I will definitely need the pain killers and muscle relaxers. I was also told that the first week is rough if i try to move my head up and down. did you experience the same thing? let me know. i want to try to PM you but I don't know how ahha
    Even though foraminotomy is not a fusion it does carry risks and will lead to pain after surgery. Yes, they cut you open and remove whatever they need to in order to get to the disk material (and for me bone chips) that causes the problem. I had to wear a hard neck brace for about 10 days (seiches to a soft one then, which I am will in for another week) and was not allowed to move my head. The pain was manageable with the pain meds and muscle relaxers I got. I stopped takin them after a week though because they made me sick. Since then I had occasional discomfort but no real pain - nothing compared to what I experienced before surgery. After 2 weeks I was allowed to start PT. But everyone is different and every surgeo operates differently, too. Though my scar is fairly long, it's healing fast and looks great. My range of motion at almost 4 weeks post-op is really good and I have been cleared for light weight strengthening and light cardio to rebuild core strength etc.
    in general my surgery experience was very positive with few pain and few pain meds. Maybe I was lucky.
    C5/C6 herniation
    Radiculopathy left arm
  • how is your range of motion now? do you think you can quickly turn your head side to side now?
    for the first few days, did you have intense neck pain even when getting up?
    i'm assuming you didnt have the tubular approach? did you need someone with you for the first few days? or do you think you can manage without anyone in the house?
    how did you shower with staples in your head?
advertisement