Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

C6/C7 herniated disc + pregnant

I am desperately asking for some advice. Long story short - always had neck problems, but about 4 weeks ago, I played tennis and it just flared things up. Day 2 after, I couldn't hold my head up for longer than 1 minute without excruciating pain. Also had tingling in fingers. Got an MRI - herniated c6/c7 with severe impingement on c7 right. Had an epidural cortisone injection had pain subsided about 40% but still bad if not laying down.

Week after spoke with 2 surgeons. One recommended surgery. The other PT. I signed up for a surgery the following Mon because the pain was so bad. Then, on a whim, took a pregnancy test the Fri before and it came up positive. Obviously I can't have surgery now. Nor can I have a repeat steroid

PT isn't helping much. It's been 4 weeks and I'm so far away from feeling "normal". I can stand sometimes for 10 minutes, other times 2 hours. But that's it.

Does this sound like it has a chance to recover? Or am I destined for surgery during pregnancy? They said I'd need to wait until 2nd trimester, which is 7 weeks away!!

Help. Any hope?? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.


  • For your pain. I had herniation atC4/5,5/6,6/7 and waited 6 months for surgery, trying alternative treatments to avoid surgery. Have you considered acupuncture? This gave me the best relief of all my treatments, but my insurance wouldn't pay for it, so I stopped when my husband lost his job.
  • Yes, actually I get acupuncture once a week. I have noticed I do get a few days of relief then it comes back. Perhaps I should go twice a week! It IS so expensive but I have to do what I have to do to get through pregnancy.

    Did your pain just stay awful for the 6 months or did it come and go? I'm just wondering if I have a chance to heal since I've seen a small amount of improvement.
  • advertisement
  • Is not a good one. I waited too long for surgery and had multi- level fusion. The disk had compressed the nerve at C6/7 for too long and is permanently damaged, so although there is an improvement, I have chronic nerve pain.i pray that this does not happen to you. I have had friends who have had great luck with the fusion, just not me.
Sign In or Register to comment.