Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

burning sensation

Has anyone experienced a burning sensation in their back? It feels like I applied icy hot, but I didn't. I have a bulging disc L4/L5 L5/S1. But this is a new sensation. It's not severe, but I worry about every little thing.
advertisement

Comments

• ChelleBelleATXCChelleBelleATX Posts: 67
    edited 08/15/2014 - 2:35 PM
    I had the same type of sensation before my fusion surgery. Dr. said it was more than likely inflammation and inflamed "angry" nerves. Arnica gel works wonders, you can usually find it in grocery stores in the "health" food /vitamin section. Hope you get it under control soon!
    Grade 1 Anterolisthesis/Spondy L5/S1 with Modic changes and mild disc protrusion, DDD, Osteoarthritis L2/L3, Stenosis, Sciatica, Herniation L4/L5. Scheduled for 360 spinal fusion/decompression July 1, 2014.
  • Did you try other alternative forms of relief before having surgery? How bad were your symptoms? I'm trying to avoid surgery at all costs.
  • advertisement
  • LC84LLC84 Posts: 593
    edited 08/15/2014 - 3:12 PM
    Is your bulge large enough that it's causing nerve compression? I tried Physical Therapy, medications, injections, a TENS unit, OTC creams, ice and heat before undergoing surgery. All but the injections I still use. There is also acupuncture, message therapy, aqua therapy, inversion table, essential oils/aromatherapy etc. There are many that things can be tried.

Just to add, in my case the symptoms didn't improve due to nerve damage that I had prior to my second surgery. The burning sensation I have is mostly in my leg and is nerve related. I also had 3 herniations and spinal stenosis that needed repaired during my procedure. If your bulges aren't severe, then conservative treatments may be enough.

LC
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • My MRI report from last year says it's"mild bulge with extrusion". Unless I've made it worse. I ice, I started decompression therapy (is that the same thing as inversion table?) I was suffering from horrible tingling for a couple weeks, and it has gotten much better. Now the discomfort is strictly in my lower back. I don't know if that is an improvement or not. I was doing great with no discomfort for 10 months. Then I aggravated it with over exercising. Now I'm in the process of trying to heal again.
  • Inversion tables are one form of spinal decompression therapy. I haven't tried it yet but it's something my surgeon discussed because I am also wanting to avoid surgery. Generally back pain is easier to treat so hopefully this therapy will help you.

Good luck!
    LC
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • advertisement
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.