Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

New to pain management, not sure what to do.

• Well I still haven't even heard back from my PM Dr yet. I called and left a message yesterday morning about what was going on. And I definitely trust the neurosurgeon over him I was just flabbergasted that he acted like he knew what was best for me without hardly talking to me.

I'm already looking up other PM Drs. And Lcochran4 I don't mind trying other therapies, it just would have been nice to have the option. And isn't there other things they can try besides strictly steroid injections? I guess I'm just at a crossroads. I feel like I'm judged by my family for taking pain meds but they don't think I should have the surgery either. It just doesn't seem like there are a whole lot of options and sometimes I feel like my family thinks I should just live with the pain because they don't think it's that bad. But they don't live in this body day after day, I do.

Thank you all for your advice you've been very helpful :-)
  • Well a nurse with the PM clinic called me back. She asked what was going on so I told her its been 2 weeks since the injection but the pain into my shoulder blades is worse and I don't understand why. She asked if I was running a fever, I said yes off and on but I have a sinus infection. She asked if numbness and tingling were worse and I told her no its about the same as usual. She asked about when my follow up appt is and I told her the 24th and she said her gut tells her I need to give it more time and to keep the appt for the 24th and they'd see me then.

Wow I guess this just reaffirms my decision to start looking for a new PM Dr. :-(
  • advertisement
  • Have you asked your surgeon if he would recommend a PM doc? You seem to have trust in him. That could be a place to start...
    I agree that finding a new doc seems the best idea at this point. There are just too many things that are ringing alarm bells for me with this one. I go back to the reducing your meds issue. 4 is ok but 6 will get you addicted is nonsense! Find a pm who wants to examine you, discuss your pain & present you with options to try. It might come to surgery but I think in most cases it's best to exhaust conservative measures first. Discuss it with your new pm & get a second surgical opinion. Even if you're really happy with your surgeon another opinion or 2 will help reassure you that you're making the right choices.

Did you have the sinus infection before the shots? Has your GP confirmed that it's a sinus infection & it's the cause of the fever?

I'm sorry, this sucks! Feel free to vent, sometimes that really helps me. You're in good company here. We all know how frustrating & depressing living with chronic pain is.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • jessconnor26jjessconnor26 Posts: 35
    edited 09/03/2014 - 3:38 PM
    My neurosurgeon had told me he'd send me to any PM Dr I wanted. I'll give him a call and see if theres one he recommends since my primary recommended this one. Im guessing its a sinus infection because Ive been getting bad headaches and they've been so bad the whole left side of my face hurts as well. But I plan on making an appt to confirm that.

That pain started a week and a half ago. And thank you and everyone else for your support. I didnt understand either how 2 additional pills a day would make me addicted. I thought maybe he would atleast maybe raise the dose to the 10/325 norco since he knew Id been taken 6 a day for awhile instead of just cutting me down with no other option.

Im very frustrated at this point and I wont lie, Its led to me crying alot because of frustration and because of pain. Yesterday I couldnt even hardly move my left arm without excruciating pain. And if I try to glance to the left I get an extreme muscle spasm in my back that about drops me to my knees.

And I hate being told "your too young for this", uh ya cause trust me this is my dream come true. I cant work, household chores have become a dreaded chore cause I know that night will be hell and I have 4 kids that see mom isnt how she used to be.

And I hate that a dr can tell me what is right and what isnt for me. And act like they KNOW my pain. Sometimes its exhausting and I just wanna give up but I know I cant. So I'll keep trekking on. And find another Dr. Thats all I can do at this point.

Thanks for letting me vent, that always helps a lil.
  • LC84LLC84 Posts: 599
    edited 09/04/2014 - 4:10 AM
    Cervical issues can cause headaches. I understand what your going through when it comes to your age. I've had similar experiences feeling like I'm not getting the proper care because I'm only 29. I'm blessed to have an amazing GP that is taking over my case until I find a PM Dr that I know is making decisions based on what's best for me. I stuck with my previous PM Dr for over a year and never got any type of relief. My GP has already put me on a better regimen just in the last visit with him. There are good Doctors out there, you may just have to see multiple ones before finding the one that you feel is willing to work with you as best as possible. Untreated pain can can have an affect on your overall health, so I wouldn't continue to waste time with a Dr that you're unhappy with. There are other types of medications besides opiates, and steroid injections can be beneficial if placed in the appropriate area. Physical Therapy is another good tool to help with strengthening. I know what it feels like to want to give up, just remember that if you keep moving forward, you'll eventually find a Dr that's right for you. There are good ones out there so don't lose hope.

Feel free to vent anytime you need too. I wish you the best of luck!
    Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • advertisement
  • Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.