Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

1wk post op L5-S1 Discectomy, laminectomy, foraminotomy

Comments

• Sorry to hear the problems you have,,, I'd of thought they would check for mrsa etc,,,, may be they will do it on Monday hope everything goes well,,, so have you re herniated on the other side if so what are they doing about it,, preying for you,,,, I'm 6 days post op now and last night started to have cramp in my calf with the foot drop,, not had it for few weeks,, managed to stop it few times before hurting,, then finely fell sleep and woke up with really bad cramp the first thing I did was jump out of bed quick not thinking about my back,, big mistake I jerked it and the pain went all way down to my foot,, so rested for couple of hours and it eezed of abit,, but had few leg pains today hoping I've not damaged my back more,, see how it goes over next couple of days,,,, take care
  • That's what I'm unsure off. Actually, my previous herniation was to the left. This one is central. My last post had a type-o & said "certain" instead of central. I was trying to function on 2 hours of sleep. Have had considerable difficulty sleeping since surgery! I thought if have these 2 weeks home to really get some good sleep while recovery & I was sadly mistaken. I still cannot get anymore than 2-3 hours at a time. Last night, I got to sleep about 2:30am & woke at 5:00am. I was then awake until 3:00pm & then got a 2 hour nap & just woke about 20 minutes ago. Anyway, no one has even mentioned the noted central protrusion. I'm not sure if it's a reherniation or if it's just due to surgery inflammation or disc material being displaced by seroma, I don't know. My NS, who I had utmost trust in, rushed me out of pre op appt (first time I had seen or talked to him since right before they took me to OR, despite complications in recovery requiring me to be admitted & 2 calls to service a little over a week after surgery, when it became clear that incision was infected) to have an MRI "STAT" & getting me in to see his "wound dr." My calls keep getting intercepted by PAs. I totally get that a PA is there to assist the Dr, but I do not trust them at all, since they were the ones that were made aware of my infection & did not call in an antibiotic until the 2nd phone call bc I was beginning to really spike fevers (along with chills, shivering, flu-like symptoms) & even then, I had to specifically ask/insist that an antibiotic be called in. My fevers got relatively high, considering that I'd just had invasive surgery & had an infected incision. I'm going to my PM Dr tomorrow & am going to bring my MRI cd and report and ask his opinion. In addition, the Dr that my NS sent me to wants to do surgery first thing Monday morning (& wanted it to sooner, but we have to wait for the vac dressing kit to be delivered to me) & I have not even had the chance to tell him this or ask what he thinks. Also, I'd like to know, if he thinks that this seroma is pushing on my nerves, which is what he said he thought was causing my pain at my post op appt (before the MRI), why isn't HE doing the surgery? I spent a lot of time choosing the surgeon who would be working on me bc I didn't want just anyone messing around in the area of my spine. Now, there's going to be someone different opening me up back there. This seroma is deforming the spinal canal & causing "mass effect" on the thecal sac, according to the MRI. Shouldn't this be the Neurosurgeon's area? I told my friend, who is a NS in a different state and he said, "We clean up our own mess up where I work." This concerns me.

Be careful with your movements. I made that mistake a couple times, where I made a movement too fast and really felt it for a couple days. Just take it extra easy until it settles down. One of the things that has helped with my leg cramps has been a good pair of compression socks. They don't totally eliminate them, but they decrease the freq & intensity quite a bit for me. I don't think we can post brands or store names on here, but I could be wrong. I will send you a PM with the Brand of socks and where I ordered them from. If a Moderator reads this & feels that this would be appropriate & helpful info to put in this thread for others to see, please comment & I will do so. I hope you are feeling better soon! Rest & don't push yourself.
    Lauren
    8/28/14 Discectomy, Laminectomy, Foraminotomy L5-S1
    9/15/15 Surgical Debridement of infected surgical incision & drain seroma; wound vac applied
    10/21/14 L5-S1 Osteomyelitis & Discitis; 10/23/14 Bone & Tissue Biopsy = MRSE
  • advertisement
  • Today is Wednesday & my surgery to address post op infection & seroma (from first surgery on 8/28) was on Monday. Oddly, my throat is still a little sore, I'm assuming from intubation, and I have spit out a tiny bit of blood tinged mucus. I mean a really tiny bit. I'm guessing my throat may have gotten scratched bc it was more sore after this surgery than after the first one. As far as my back and the wound vac go, it hurts. It's on the continuous setting of 125mmHg 24 hrs a day. It was set when if was put on in surgery. Before I was discharged, they said to leave the settings as they are, so I have. There is no real comfortable position at this point, but if I had to pick, I'd say I'm most comfortable laying down. The only problem with that is that I can only lay on my sides & my hips start to hurt after a while. Getting up from sitting or laying down is very painful. Right now, I'm still moving pretty slow, with the aid of a cane. I put my compression socks back on yesterday because I am laying down so much & because I was having a lot of nerve pain in my legs. The severe hip pain I was having prior to this surgery has improved, but I'm still having some leg pain. It's hard to put in a verdict on the back pain at this time bc it still hurts A LOT right now. In fact, there have been some thoughts over the past couple of days that, if I had known how much this was going to hurt, I might not have gone with this option. What really has me anxious is that I'm going today for my first dressing change today. Everything that I have read indicates that the first several dressing changes are very painful. One person's experience stated that for the first change he was medicated with morphine and diluadid and still had quite a bit of pain. I don't have close to that level of medication. I'm still on what I was on pre op, which is 10/325 Percocet (ev 4 hours), 500mg Methocarbanol (ev 6 hours- this is a daytime muscle relaxer), 15mg Mobic (1x/day), 500mg Keflex (ev 6 hrs), & 10mg Flexeril (at bedtime). I delayed my pain med last night, so that my schedule adjusted to allow me to take it 30 minutes prior to today's appt, but I'm really hoping the Dr plans to give a local before the procedure. The type of foam used with the VAC is one that encourages granulation of the wound, however one of the problems that often occur with this type of foam is that the wound granulation can grow into the foam. I really hope this isn't the case with mine. The surgeon is doing this dressing change, but he told me before surgery that he will be setting up home health care for subsequent changes. If anyone has had experience with a wound vac, please let me know how it went & what the dressing changes were like for you. I really hope the vac does what it is supposed to & makes all this pain worth it in the end. Also, 2 surgeries in just over 2 weeks is enough for me. I am totally wiped out!

On another note, I finally got a call from my NS on Saturday. He said that he did see the (re)herniation of my disc, but wants to wait until this incision infection & seroma are cleared up to see if I am symptomatic or not. If I am not symptomatic, he wants to leave the herniation alone, as there was so much disc material taken out during the first surgery, that there's not a lot left and taking any more would result in the disc space being too weak (also due to DDD at that level).

I will try to update after today's appointment. I also posted this update on my other thread about Incision Infection & Pain Changing Sides. I want to say thank you again to the members and moderators that have been so helpful and supportive through all of this! I don't know what I would do without this site! :)
    9/15/15 Surgical Debridement of infected surgical incision & drain seroma; wound vac applied
  • Can you remember how your incision felt when it started to get infected,,, started physio today and she mentioned around mine was warm n left it at that,,,, any way had my husband feel it and he said its warm all around it and slightly red,,, it's not sore, will keep close eye on it next couple of days,,, I've been refered to a orthotic for a splint for my foot drop,,,
    I to can only lie on my side I use a pillow between my legs and it helps a lot,
    Hope all goes well for you
  • L333777LL333777 Posts: 109
    edited 09/17/2014 - 2:10 PM
    I remember that afternoon feeling pressure around the incision, if that makes any sense. That night was when we first found white around the incision & the redness around it had increased some. I'm not sure if the pressure feeling was due to infection or due to seroma, which I did not know about at the time. Within a day or two if that, I started getting flu like aches all over & started running a fever. I really felt like I was coming down with the flu. From there the incision began hurting more. I had a return of severe back pain and pain down my good leg, along with all the muscle aches. Again, I don't know if this pain was due to infection or seroma, but fever and achy feelings all over were definitely infection related. Whatever you do, don't mess with this. If you think at all that it might be infected, you need to catch it early. I called the NS service on Saturday night & on Monday night. I had to specifically ask them to call in some antibiotics on Monday night. It was a good thing I did bc , even though I started Keflex Monday night (last week), I was spiking fevers as high as 103.2 through Wednesday. If I had spiked anymore fevers, the Dr was going to admit me for IV antibiotics. Keep a close eye on your temp. Also, make sure you ask the Dr to swab the area & have it cultured. I hope you feel better soon!
    Lauren
  • advertisement
  • I'm a returning spine surgery victim/survivor!
    My leg pain and burning is incredible and I have no relief these days and getting worse :((

NS says the same thing as the OP had, L2-L5 both sides and all three discs. The L4-5 disc is totally blown out and blocking the cord. He says no fusion though. I had a cage L5-S1 in 2011 and I don't want to be too conservative and be back here again soon.
    All lumbars show multiple annular tears during discogram in 2011 before surgery.
    I'm going with a Neuro instead of Orthodox this time. He suggested sooner than later to minimize any more chance of nerve damage. NS is the same guy who put in my SCS two years ago but now it just can't mask the nerve pain without completely paralyzing me.

Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.
  • Hi Lauren,

I hope you've been healing well. I'm 2 days post-op from my second microdiscectomy since this past February (long story short, I re-herniated my disc about 6 weeks after my first operation, so I had to go in for another one a few days ago). I was advised by my doctor that it would be okay to shower as early as one day post-op as long as the dressing is covered and it doesn't get submerged in water. I just got out of the shower a few minutes ago and saw that the dressing wasn't as covered as it should have been and that my dressing was pretty wet, with clear signs of blood on it. I'm afraid of getting the area infected and I've started feeling like my the incision area is more tense and throbbing, but I'm not sure if that's from stressing out over this, or if it's in fact from the dressing getting pretty wet. How early did you start to notice that you had an infection from getting your dressing wet? I'm currently waiting on a call back from my doctor to see what I have to do at this point.

-Ali
advertisement