Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

neck cracked and now more pain...

While making supper tonight, I had turned my head to the left and felt a very large crack in my neck just below the base of my skull. Since then I have felt an increase of pain in my head, arms, neck and down my legs. Also have this feeling like my throat is restricted. I was taking a drink and it felt like my airways just closed up at the base of my neck. I've always had a issue with easily choking and my family tends to make fun of the fact that I can "choke on air" out of the blue. I have recently been diagnosed formally of having Cervical herniated discs of C5,C6 with spinal cord compression and myelopathy. I was scheduled for surgery on Tuesday but it has been cancelled because I have not been cleared by my PCP because of a different issue that they believe is an infection(but hasn't been proved). They insist that I see a dentist to get the infection taken care of before surgery. I was told by the neuro-surgeon that this cant be left too long because the risks of losing function in my arms or more. So obviously I am at a race against time. If this gets worse and I cant get my other issue taken care of I wonder how bad they would let it get before they just do the surgery. I am trying to take care of the problems but my insurance is awful and I cant afford much at all. They also want the money upfront before they will do any work. I am extremely frustrated and stressed because of this.
Tracie C
advertisement

Comments

• LC84LLC84 Posts: 599
    edited 09/06/2014 - 5:03 PM
    Has it been discussed to undergo a round of antibiotics to rid the infection, have the spinal surgery then deal with the dental issues later?
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • rtconant1rrtconant1 Posts: 347
    edited 09/07/2014 - 1:45 AM
    The dr refuses to go that route at this time. She says that "prescribing anitbiotics will cause a resistance to them down the road will cause my body to build a resistance to them later and then they wont work". I haven't had any antibiotics since early 2011. I haven't needed them at all. But now when I do need them they wont prescribe them. Doing the dental work isn't going to get rid of the "infection" just by doing it in my opinion. There would need to be antibiotics anyways.
    Tracie C
  • advertisement
  • The pain that was caused by the neck crack last night seems to be a bit less than last night. I guess I slept it off even though I didn't sleep much or well at all last night. Could be just that I was laying down.
    Tracie C
    edited 09/07/2014 - 2:35 AM
    Maybe your Physician and surgeon need to communicate. If your surgeon is concerned about waiting, that to me would take precedents over the dental work. Yes, antibiotics are generally over prescribed, but it's hard to imagine that resistance would be built when you haven't taken them in 3 years. I'm glad your neck is feeling better, maybe it just needed pressure removed by lying down. Just be careful not to overwork yourself in any situations that could cause additional complications. You have to be careful when your spinal cord is involved. It still surprises me that insurance doesn't cover dental work like other medical problems. People can developed serious illnesses originating from that area. Hopefully someday that will change. If you're in the U.S? I know there is a medical based credit card called Carecredit. I applied and used that for my route canals. Most dentist offices accept it. Just a suggestion so you can keep moving forward.

I wish you luck and hope the relief continues. Just take it easy with neck movements in the meantime!
    LC
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
  • They are communicating but I don't think she is taking this seriously. When I came to them for the pain, they barely did an xray, said that it was fine and didn't do any more than prescribe a steroid and more muscle relaxants. They said also physical therapy but they were not interested in really trying to find out why I was in pain. They just dismissed it all and said that I should keep going to the chiropractor even though that seemed to be making the pain worse instead of better. He was trying to help also but I didn't think he was going to be able to help me. It turned out that he was the one to order an MRI, not my PCP. When I had my pre op physical, the NP had no idea at that time all what was wrong. She is stuck on the dental work thing. My Neuro surgeon's assistant had a talk about it but she still wont budge. He wont do the surgery until my PCP gives clearance.I know I need work done. I am the only source of income in my house as well as the insurance carrier and everything else. I don't get assistance because I don't qualify. For her, money probably isn't that much of a problem. If only we all were smart enough to get into the medical field. I totally agree with you that not having antibiotics in that long, having a resistance to antibiotics is unlikely. I do have CareCredit but I don't have much that I can charge on it left due to other issues with using it for my medical care for my neck problems. I am probably going to have to take money out of my 401K the way its going.
    I am feeling better but it still feels like my neck is being squeezed this morning like Im going to choke. I had a couple episodes last night where I did choke while drinking a glass of milk but I feel like there is pressure there even when I am not drinking or eating. It also feels worse when I am looking down and now that I am upright and doing stuff, some of the other pressure and pain is coming back. I am trying not to over do anything but when I go back to work tomorrow, it wont be possible to take it easy. The funny thing is, I had only looked to the side while taking a gallon of milk out of the fridge because I was making sure I didn't bump into a hot pan that was close to where I was. I didn't even turn my head fast. Just must have been enough to cause the crack.
    Sorry. Im not trying to complain. I am just so very frustrated with this. When this is all said and done, I will be looking for a new PCP.
    Tracie C
  • advertisement
    edited 09/07/2014 - 3:44 AM
    I don't blame you for being frustrated, I would be too. I would have thought your surgeon would be pushing your GP to allow the surgery if he is wanting it done quickly. It sounds like the only option may be to dip into some 401k to have it done. So do your need teeth extracted, route canals or something else? Will it require healing time before surgery can be scheduled? I really do feel for you. Have you had a dental referral just to make sure that's the problem that needs fixed? Maybe start there so you know exactly what you're dealing with. Is your surgeon in disagreement with you GP? I don't blame you for wanting to find another Dr. I always tell people that if you're not happy with your current one, then go elsewhere. It's so important to have good relationships with your Dr's.

Feel free to vent anytime! It can be therapeutic to get everything off of your chest.
    Let me know how things go!
    LC
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
  • I have an extremely sensitive gag reflex that makes it hard to get the xrays and a very big fear of the dentist. We tried getting the xrays but I kept gagging on the rear ones. I wanted to get over it so they could get them done. They gave up and said that I need to see someone who practices sedation dentistry( which yes, I knew it was going to be a problem). My insurance doesn't cover anyone that practices sedation dentistry. I called around to places and my insurance. IF I want any work done, I will have to go out of network. That is a $500 deductible plus it wont cover the sedation. And after the deductible and all of that is done, It will only cover 30-40% of the total bill. It will probably be a couple extractions and a root canal. It probably will take some recovery time during this before they will do the surgery. As far as I know and have heard, just pulling teeth wont get rid of the infection if there is one. Some dentists require an anitibiotic before the procedure, some after.
    Thanks for letting me vent and helping me work through this. I know all of this will take time, even if they only do the minimum. Im just afraid that I am going to lose the ability to work and they still wont do anything about it. If it wasn't for so many variables working against me in the dental work and my neck issues, I could have saved myself a lot of grief. I guess its too late now. Now I gotta deal with it. I just wish I had more of the medical field working with me instead of against me
    Tracie C
  • I have an extremely sensitive gag reflex that makes it hard to get the xrays and a very big fear of the dentist. We tried getting the xrays but I kept gagging on the rear ones. I wanted to get over it so they could get them done. They gave up and said that I need to see someone who practices sedation dentistry( which yes, I knew it was going to be a problem). My insurance doesn't cover anyone that practices sedation dentistry. I called around to places and my insurance. IF I want any work done, I will have to go out of network. That is a $500 deductible plus it wont cover the sedation. And after the deductible and all of that is done, It will only cover 30-40% of the total bill. It will probably be a couple extractions and a root canal. It probably will take some recovery time during this before they will do the surgery. As far as I know and have heard, just pulling teeth wont get rid of the infection if there is one. Some dentists require an anitibiotic before the procedure, some after.
    Thanks for letting me vent and helping me work through this. I know all of this will take time, even if they only do the minimum. Im just afraid that I am going to lose the ability to work and they still wont do anything about it. If it wasn't for so many variables working against me in the dental work and my neck issues, I could have saved myself a lot of grief. I guess its too late now. Now I gotta deal with it. I just wish I had more of the medical field working with me instead of against me
    Tracie C
    edited 09/07/2014 - 5:20 AM
    I do have to say they you're dealing with a complicated situation. I wish I had advice that could help you. Is there any possible way that you can do anything to get though the x-rays bedsides sedation? I guess I would just keep searching for other dentists and hope you find one. Are there facilities that do procedures at a reduced rate? I know they have them for children. I hope you can get this sorted out.

Hang in there.
    LC
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
  • I am going to try 1 more time to just ask them to prescribe the antibiotic and let me deal with the dental afterwards. It will probably be a waste of time but I have a lot of grief and phone calls to take care of if it doesn't go thru on Tuesday. Nothing like last minute crap. At the very least I want to tell them everything I am going thru with this since they have no clue what kind of pain this is. What every day is like living thru this. I know its wasted breath and it wont solve anything but they have done very little to help me from the start. I am not looking forward to calling my boss, HR and the disability company to tell them that it is postponed. As well as people at work getting in my business about it. I don't plan on letting them into my business.
    Tracie C
advertisement