Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Has any one recovered from foot drop

Comments

• Debbied67, just read your post and thought it was one of mine!!!
    I too work for the NHS and had a bulging disc on my L4/L5 and had it operated on within a month after they tried a spinal block which failed. Had the op on 23/04/15 and had some numbness in lower left leg and foot. Now left with loss of motor and sensory functions to lower left leg but mainly foot which means I walk with a limp, can't drive (as can't use clutch) have been told I don't have foot drop however when over tired it does drop and I can't even flex it up when going up a step etc. awaiting another MRI scan now and hoping as the elective nerve confuctions teta show lack of motor and sensory function and the consultant thinks I still have something pressing on my S1/L5 due to the pins and needles I get when passing a motion or having sex. I am too on gabapentin for the electric shock sensations I feel in my foot and calf. Wishing you wiell and hope you get some answers as I'm hoping I will as not ready to accept this is now permanent. All stemming from crippling back pain one weekend xx
  • I first damaged my back 6 years ago had an MRI which confirmed herniation l4 l5 but didnt have surgery as there was no sciatic pain. Had on and off pain for a few years which went with meds and rest but last week i got real bad sciatic pain. Couldnt get out of bed on monday. On tuesday i was feeling better so did some light stretches. By lunchtime i had a numb left leg. I thought i'd cut the blood supply off and just had pins and needles. After an hour i couldnt lift my foot at all and went to the Dr. He has arranged an MRI which I'm having today. I was given no advice or walking aids etc so this site has been valuable this week. I bought an orthotic online which helps a lot and borrowed some crutches, however the sofa and I have a new bond and spend far too much time together. Hopefully the results of the MRI will come quick and surgery follows as i cant work at all and live on the job. Worst of all is my wife and I ballroom dance and were just getting good. Would be nice to hear positive stories re foot drop so all hope of dancing again aren't lost.
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Did PT try neuromuscular stimulation in the clinic yet? Some insurances will cover a home unit if it helps. Please don't confuse this with a TENS unit, it's totally different. Good luck and keep working at it.
  • Pedrovette96PPedrovette96 New England USAPosts: 13
    I have the same post-op issues. Has been a year and still have them.
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Lily2014LLily2014 Posts: 84
    edited 11/11/2015 - 7:42 AM
    Hi, just wondering if people could update me about this topic in the months following surgery? I'm due to have discectomy at the weekend and just wondering what other people's experiences are of motor function improving after surgery? Last time I had surgery pain reduced straight away but sensation loss in foot never improved. It's never bothered me as it's only slight and I don't notice it that much apart from when someone touches my feet & it feels a bit numb. This time my toes barely move and ankle has restricted movement. Like some of you, if I've walked somewhere it can drop completely and I trip over. Not had this before. Interested to know what recovery from this is likely to be? I've done research which suggests that full recovery to normal is likely to be 60-80% which I think is quite good odds (that is if you have surgery within 8 weeks on symptom onset which I am just). Thanks
  • I had bilateral discectomy after suffering complete foot drop. I literally had zero movement. My surgery was 8 days after the foot drop and i was told it was probably too late. I started physio 1 week after surgery with still no movement. My physio loaned me an electric neuro stimulation device which created a flicker in my ankle. I ran a disuse atrophy programme 3 times a day for 2 weeks and saw slight improvement every day. First i could raise my big toe then slowly able to walk without an orthotic. I am now back to 5/5 both sides are equal in strength. I sometimes get pain on the top of my foot after walking as th muscles tighten. I have spoken to someone recently who also had foot drop that ran a half marathon after seeing the same physio. Don't give up hope.
  • MrIMMrI United KingdomPosts: 54
    Debbie 67

Did your drop foot resolve, how about an update?
  • Anyone with an update of how they are doing now?
advertisement