Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Has any one recovered from foot drop

Comments

• RockyRaccoonRRockyRaccoon Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 1
    One year ago (almost to the day) I suffered severe pain around my waist after a gentle day of skiing.  I don't ski and I'm 63 but I didn't fall.  The pain the next day was so bad I couldn't dress myself but I thought it was strained muscles.  It wasn't.  The pain shifted to a pain all the way down my right leg.
    A week later the pain suddenly went away and I developed instant foot drop.  A physio friend told me to go straight to the hospital where they gave me an immediate MRI, diagnosed degenerative disks and operated a couple of days later.
    The surgeon said the peroneal nerve was pinched and he'd cut away bone to give it "its best chance for recovery" which I thought sounded ominous.
    I don't have any pain and I have a "Dictus Strap" to pull my foot up but after one year I haven't noticed any real improvement.  The surgeon said it would take up to a year IF EVER to heal.  My GP said not to give up, nerves can take years to heal.
    It's not really causing problems.  I've tripped a couple of times but no pain.
    Hoping it will eventually recover.
    Don't let your Vitamin B levels get low, that inhibits nerve regeneration apparently.  Don't take my word for it but a doctor confirmed it when I asked.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    hello rockyraccoon !

welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • Hi< I started stumbling at work one year ago, and having pain in both butt cheeks down both legs to the back of my knees. I went to see my family Dr. in Dec, and he said it was Sciatica. He sent me to see my dr. that had done surgery on my C 5-6-7 in 2013, and he said I needed surgery on my L 4-5, this was in Jan. and I was still walking, but in much pain and still foot drop in both feet. The only thing keeping me at work was 25 mg of Percocet. He operated on me Feb 23rd 2016, and what was supposes to be one night in the hospital ended up being five, taking 12 Percocet 10mg/325s a day I went home on a walker. By the way I walked into the Hospital on my on, no cane or walker. I still had every thing I started with, surgery did more harm than good. I then went thru 4 months of P/T mostly in the pool. In July I progressed to a cane, and now in Nov. I'm off the cane, and walking, but not as good as I was in Nov. of last year when this all started. I still have pain, and severe Drop Foot in both feet. I'm seeing a Pain Treatment Dr. for Injections in my spine, and prescribed 4 10/325 Percocet a day, but I have reduced that to 4 half pills per day. I just break them into and take them that way. I believe my P/T is the only help I had with this. I exercise every day, and walk, walk, walk, it's all that keeps me going. I'm going to try, and go back to work soon. I'm 68 years old, but crossing my fingers I can. I hope, and pray you recover fast, and that this has helped you a little.
  • I have severe Foot Drop caused from the surgeon making a mistake in my Scoliosis surgery where he pierced a nerve in my spine by placing five screws wrong. My left foot is paralyzed (I cannot lift it up at all) and the pain and discomfort is excruciating, even though it is paralyzed it still hurts!  I did have surgery to remove the wrong screw in August of 2016 but as of writing this eight months later still no improvement. I'm discouraged by the many postings I've seen on other forums by others with severe foot drop from damage to the spine, all waiting to get better and the doctors doing nothing. Nerves apparently regrow at the rate of one inch per month, so the growth has to grow from the spine all the way down to the foot, with no way of knowing if your nerves will steadily grow or not; apparently sometimes they just don't regrow. I did have an EMG test done before and after my corrective surgery which shows a little improvement but again  no way of knowing whether this will continue. I wake up every day wondering if I'll be paralyzed for the rest of my life.
advertisement