Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

INSOMNIA- still not able to sleep in bed

I had ACDF surgery 3 weeks ago. I don't have a lot of pain but getting some issues that are uncomfortable as long as I am wearing the aspen collar. I am supposed to be starting to wean out of it in a couple of days but it will still be another 2 weeks before I can sleep with out it if I follow the plan to the T. The problem is that I am still having to sleep in the recliner. I don't find it comfortable because I have to keep pushing it back to keep it fully reclined. I have tried to sleep in bed a couple times but the collar is so uncomfortable to lay down on. I haven't slept more than 4-5 interrupted hours a night. Its usually about 3am when I finally go to sleep but I am constantly waking up. Is anyone else having this issue? I am trying to stay active during the day as much as possible so that I don't sleep during the day. I haven't been taking more than Tylenol for pain but I am tempted to take a flexural or an oxy just so I can get to sleep. I don't want to be dependant on those to sleep though. I have issues with lots of different medicines that make me drowsy long after the meds are supposed to wear off and then I am useless to the world for at least 12 hrs.
Tracie C
advertisement

Comments

• Well, I had a lumbar fusion, so no collar...but I'm having a terrible time trying to find somewhere comfy to sleep and staying asleep. 4 hours is about the longest I ever get, but that's definitely not the norm. I'm sure it's normal, it just stinks!
    Christina
    Left leg radiculopathy/sciatic pain
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - May 30, 2014
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - Aug 14, 2014
    L5/S1 TLIF - Sept. 24, 2014
    Left-side screws/rod removed along with bone fragment Dec. 29, 2014
  • I can imagine that it would be tough with lumbar fusion. I have had a couple short term lower back issues that made it difficult. Your issue is 100 times worse. I sure hope it gets better. With the aspen collar I can only lay on my back. I was used to sleeping on my side. With a lumbar fusion- do you have to wear a lower back brace?
    Tracie C
  • advertisement
  • Coltsfan78CColtsfan78 Posts: 182
    edited 10/01/2014 - 2:12 PM
    No back brace. Funny that you think my issues would be worse....I was thinking I wouldn't want to have to wear your neck brace! I'm a side sleeper, so I definitely understand how frustrating it is to be limited to your back. Do you have lots of pillows to help prop up?
    Christina
    Left leg radiculopathy/sciatic pain
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - May 30, 2014
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - Aug 14, 2014
    L5/S1 TLIF - Sept. 24, 2014
    Left-side screws/rod removed along with bone fragment Dec. 29, 2014
  • Smiles1SSmiles1 Posts: 22
    edited 10/01/2014 - 4:50 PM
    Can you prop yourself up with a ton of pillows? I had to do this but I had a lumber fusion like coltsfan. I couldn't sleep on the recliner anymore. Worse sleep ever and with to many interruptions and no quality of sleep at all. So what I did was took like 6 or 7 firm&down pillows on my bed and used them as my "recliner" so to speak. It took a little getting use to but after a couple of days was worth it.
  • I have tried it both ways of being propped up and with only one pillow. Neither way works. I have 1 good quality pillow that is a My Pillow brand. I don't know if you have seen the infomercials for it. It has helped somewhat when I had issues. I think most of my problem is that I am a side and stomach sleeper. I have gotten out of the habit of sleeping on my stomach for the most part but I just cant sleep on my back. I think that is why the recliner doesn't work for me now that I am no longer drugged up. lol.
    Tracie C
  • advertisement
  • the tempur millennium queen pillow .I read it on a post on here and the poster was going on about it so much that I bought one and I am glad I did .I have also had a fusion .the pillow is made from memory foam but its shaped so differently to any of the other generic pillows ..its expensive but well worth it .google tempur millenium queen in large .its a strange shape but it will fit into a standard pillow slip .well worth the money
    KB
  • I had a posterior cervical fusion a week ago and I'm going to be in an Aspen collar for 3 months.I can't sleep on my back due to a weird gagging sensation that wakes me up every 5-10 minutes. I can sleep in the bed but have been sleeping on the couch so I don't keep my wife up all night.

I use a memory foam pillow as a base for support and then use an extremely thin feather pillow on top of that for comfort. I am able to sleep 8-10 hours like that on my side waking up every so often to use the restroom or switch to my other side.

Admittedly, I do take my Percocet and Flexiril right before I lay down so I am sure that has some effect on my results. I have been able to take naps during the day the same way without the medication though.

Melotonin could also be helpful. Just make sure to check with your Dr. first.
    CSM = C2-C5 Posterior Laminectomy w/Fusion and Instrumentation
    Surgery Complete 10/4/14
  • I have a pillow that worked well before surgery for the most part. Most of the issue was the collar digging into the back of my shoulder and head causing headaches and shoulder pain. Tonight is going to be the first night sleeping without my collar on. I am going to sleep in bed also with the special pillow that I have. If it still doesn't help, I will be buying a different one. Thanks for the suggestions
    Tracie C
  • I have a friend with similar circumstances and he bought a device called an alpha-stim. Somewhat expensive but he was able to return to normal sleeping without use of drugs. He wears the device everyday and swears by it. Check it out.
    ward3
advertisement