Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

lidoderm patch used like tegaderm for fentanyl patch

So I've been prescribed the fentanyl patch for a few months now, I've changed to the Sandoz brand, which works amazingly better than the gel reservoir patch that I had before. They rarely fall off now but sometimes will. I know some companies will give you free tegaderm, but I haven't gotten around to emailing the company yet since it's rarely a problem. Today I had one peel off like half way and thankfully had a left over tegaderm. The tegaderm are so expensive, especially since I'm on disability and only get a small monthly check. I do however have a ton of left over lidoderm patches.

Could a lidoderm patch be used on top of a fentanyl patch to hold it on?
advertisement

Comments

• sandisandi Posts: 6,269
    edited 10/09/2014 - 4:10 PM
    absolutely NOT.........you can go to any medical supply house or auction website and find tegaderm or other bioclusive dressings for little cost. I used to buy them off a large popular auction site for a box of 100 they were around 12.00.
    If that is too much expense, buy a few rolls of paper tape found in any drug or general merchandise store and apply the tape around the edges of the patch.
  • starrrsstarrr Posts: 31
    edited 10/09/2014 - 11:48 AM
    I've searched high and low online and cannot find a price that even comes close to 100 for $12
  • advertisement
  • sandi said:
    absolutely NOT.........you can go to any medical supply house or auction website and find tegaderm or other bioclusive dressings for little cost. I used to buy them off a large popular auction site for a box of 100.00 they were around 12.00.
    If that is too much expense, buy a few rolls of paper tape found in any drug or general merchandise store and apply the tape around the edges of the patch.
    Any website or link you could send me for a price like that I'd be very happy. I've not been able to find a $12 on any more than 5 single tegaderms.
  • I figured it probably wasn't a great idea, but I'm wondering why then? Would the lidocaine do something to the patch? What could really happen? The patch is like a piece of scotch tape, if it was the gel reservoir I would see more of a reason, but it doesn't seem like it would be a problem or interfere with the delivery of the patch.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,269
    edited 10/09/2014 - 4:21 PM
    and should not be applied one over the other, and the other reason is that lidocaine patches are only supposed to be applied and left on for 12 hours maximum.......the patches are left in place for 72 hours.
    Common sense says that you don't apply two medications one over the other. There is also capsacin in the lidocaine patches, which could raise the temperature of the skin, and area where the patches are applied to raise , causing a potential for overdose of the fentanyl.
    As far as where you can find the bioclusive dressings, online auction websites are your best bet.......there are several large web based auction sites where you can search for tegaderm, or bioclusive dressings.
  • advertisement
advertisement