Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Thoracic kidney and flank pain relieved with ESI's

mardan59mmardan59 Posts: 9
edited 11/25/2014 - 2:57 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hi all,

It is nice to know I'm not alone. I have had chronic back pain and have been in pain management for almost 10 years now. I have issues with cervical, lumbar and thoracic areas.
What happened three weeks ago now has totally rocked my world. I had been battling my thoricic are for several weeks, extreme mid back pain...but I woke at 4am with intense left sided kidney area pain that radiated through me down to my groin. It was a constant ripping pain that I could find no position to get relief. My husband insisted after an hour of this it may be kidney stones...so off to the ER we went. After urine, blood and CT scan, they told me that there were no stones present, then the nurse gave me a lecture on how she handles her back pain, then a doctor came in and lectured me about the fact I use pain meds daily. All the time I am wrething in pain...they told me this was most likely referred pain from my back and I just needed too see my PM doctor. They gave me a shot of something that did nothing to help and sent me on my way.

I never had this type of pain that was back related, it was so different I was certain it had to be something else bad going on inside me. It was so painful to sit, I could get it to calm down by laying with a heating pad. That following Monday, got there and found out my regular Dr. was not there. I was so upset but they did a quick exam and scheduled me for an ESI of T11 and 12 two weeks away...I begged them to get me in earlier, thank goodness someone did. I had the ESI which first increased the pain for about 12 hours...then it got better, I had my first relief from this awful pain one week after it started. The pain unfortunately returned, very intense but I am now scheduled for to of the long lasting ESI's T11,12 and L1 and 2. My PM doctor did a trigger point in the office which after a day or two brought my pain level down again to tolerable while i wait for more injections.
I have also seen my PCP about this, she thinks there is a possibility I may have a compression fracture,(I also have osteoporosis) as I have been having gastric problems since this started also. Nothing showed on Xray, but she said that happens often show she will be scheduling me for an updated Thoracic spine MRI.

My PM doctor now wants me to consult a surgeon...: (

I am sorry for being so long winded but honestly I was starting to think if nothing can be done for this I can't live this way. Currently my pain is tolerable and I am back at work. But I would certainly love to hear from anyone else who has had this type of pain and how they handled it and how they are doing now.

Mary
advertisement

Comments

• https://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/welcome-message-resource

it is possible that it might be related to your gallbladder as well. it would be worth mentioning the pain to your primary and your pain management doctor for further evaluation.
  • Thanks, I never thought of that. I will certainly make mention of it to my PCP
  • advertisement
  • Hi it was interesting to read of your experience. I am new to this forum (joined in order to reply to you!). Something similar happened to me but the other way round... started experiencing left sided pain in renal angle with blood in urine, assumed to be renal colic. Lots of investigations later.. no renal stone! After 6 months of pain & work/ social life severely curtailed, I read up on this and went to see a physio. Seems the problem is in one of the thoracic facet joints and my back was very stiff.

I only just saw pain consultant today and haven't had an MRI yet (not that this would show up facet problem, it's to exclude other problems like disc though more unlikely I think).

I am using TENS, heat, swimming, physio, CBT & mindfulness all of which have helped to some extent.

Gallbladder is on the right side, does your pain go to the right too?

Hope things get better for you.
  • Interesting to hear you story, I have a similar one... admitted to hospital twice with pain thought to be due to renal colic but it turns out it is probably a thoracic joint problem. Waiting for an mri now, just to make sure it isn't from another cause.

Hope things improve for you.

• I have a lot worse than this,, all past and therapy and have not only malknula stronger pain, that's all,, but the pressure on the nerve is there always,, it says dull pain, I mean the problem of pelvic part of th 7 th to 12 is not good all the hernia drive in question
    hay all
  • advertisement
  • nigorahon said:
    Hi it was interesting to read of your experience. I am new to this forum (joined in order to reply to you!). Something similar happened to me but the other way round... started experiencing left sided pain in renal angle with blood in urine, assumed to be renal colic. Lots of investigations later.. no renal stone! After 6 months of pain & work/ social life severely curtailed, I read up on this and went to see a physio. Seems the problem is in one of the thoracic facet joints and my back was very stiff.

I only just saw pain consultant today and haven't had an MRI yet (not that this would show up facet problem, it's to exclude other problems like disc though more unlikely I think).

I am using TENS, heat, swimming, physio, CBT & mindfulness all of which have helped to some extent.

Gallbladder is on the right side, does your pain go to the right too?

Hope things get better for you.
    Nigorahon,
    I hope things get better for you as well! I have had 2 of three ESI's done and trigger point injections between the first and second to help eleviate some of the pain. I am scheduled for another MRI of my thoracic spine as my primary care doctor is still not totally convinced there is no compression fracture...but I already know I have a couple issues with my thoracic spine from my last MRI done several years ago including DJD, 2 bulging discs and mild adult onset scoliosis and I really can't remember what else. The pain I am having now averages at least 60% less than what I was having when this first started but it's still fairly miserable, worse when I am sitting, driving and lying on my left side. I have no pain at all on the right side. I've tried TENS, ice and heat...heat feels best but can't use it too much because I also have extreme skin sensitivity over much of my left side. I am very hopeful I get much more relief from the final injection. Thanks for your comments and good luck to you !!
  • Wow!! After several weeks now and three E.S.I.'s @ T11, T12, L1 and L2, additional medications including an antidepressant, I am actually able to function again without dwelling on this new type pain. Although I still have significant discomfort in the same kidney area...it's now more of a dull acheyness that varies in intensity, especially when in a sitting position...and my skin is uncomfortable to touch...feels somewhat like a sunburn. My Primary care doctor ordered a thoracic MRI which I had done this past Monday, no results on that yet. I see my PM doctor this afternoon for a follow-up. One thing that still worries me a bit is that although my gastric problems seem to have gone away...I may not have mentioned this before but I am having some intestional and urinary issues...not severe but new, these issues all started the day prior to the pain and have not stopped, nor gotten worse since. I don't know if these may be related or not. I will talk to my PM Dr. this PM about that.

Thanks for listening! My wish for you all is tolerable happy days!

Mary
  • Hi All,

Just checking in now that I have an updated MRI of my thoracic spine. I had my final E.S.I. at T11-12 and T12-L1 and after a week I am almost back to where I was prior to this happening. What is scary for me is know this could happen again.

My result of my thoracic MRI showed:
    Moderately prominate multilevel degenerative disease. (which I already knew)
    Bilateral neural foraminal stenosis, on right T1, T2, T3 on left T5, T6, T10 and T11
    T7&8 arachnoid cysts at the bilateral T7 neural foramina. T8&9 demonstrates smaller bilateral arachnoid cysts.
    T1 and T2 right paracentral disc bulge with anterior sac effacement
    T5 and T6 demonstates a left paracentral disc herniation with moderate anterior thoracic cord moderate effacement.
    T9 and T10 demonstrate a left paracentral disc bulge with mild anterior cord effacement..
    T11 and T12 demonstrates a left paracentral disc herniation, and posterior osteophytic spurring.
    T12 and L1 demonstrates a posteriolateral disc bulge.

My degenerative disc disease has worsened by a lot since my last thoracic MRI done in 2012. This kind of scares me. My PM doctor has referred me to a Thoracic surgeon just for an opinion on both my thoracic and lumbar spine. I know for now we will only watch, no surgery as my dear PM doctor has helped alleviate what was the worst pain I have ever had in my life. I went through 8 weeks of He--, I never want to go through that again!

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that this was actually my spinal nerves that caused this pain...but Im trying. Bless each and every one of you here in this pain, I send best wishes that you too will find relief.

Mary
  • Hi All,

Just checking in now that I have an updated MRI of my thoracic spine. I had my final E.S.I. at T11-12 and T12-L1 and after a week I am almost back to where I was prior to this happening. What is scary for me is know this could happen again.

My result of my thoracic MRI showed:
    Moderately prominate multilevel degenerative disease. (which I already knew)
    Bilateral neural foraminal stenosis, on right T1, T2, T3 on left T5, T6, T10 and T11
    T7&8 arachnoid cysts at the bilateral T7 neural foramina. T8&9 demonstrates smaller bilateral arachnoid cysts.
    T1 and T2 right paracentral disc bulge with anterior sac effacement
    T5 and T6 demonstates a left paracentral disc herniation with moderate anterior thoracic cord moderate effacement.
    T9 and T10 demonstrate a left paracentral disc bulge with mild anterior cord effacement..
    T11 and T12 demonstrates a left paracentral disc herniation, and posterior osteophytic spurring.
    T12 and L1 demonstrates a posteriolateral disc bulge.

My degenerative disc disease has worsened by a lot since my last thoracic MRI done in 2012. This kind of scares me. My PM doctor has referred me to a Thoracic surgeon just for an opinion on both my thoracic and lumbar spine. I know for now we will only watch, no surgery as my dear PM doctor has helped alleviate what was the worst pain I have ever had in my life. I went through 8 weeks of He--, I never want to go through that again!

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that this was actually my spinal nerves that caused this pain...but Im trying. Bless each and every one of you here in this pain, I send best wishes that you too will find relief. Oh yes, all my intestinal, urinary and gastric problems are gone now also!

Mary
  • SP1NESSP1NE Posts: 3
    edited 03/01/2015 - 11:24 PM
    hi mary!

i am going through nearly mirrored symptoms as you. what's your newest update if you don't mind me asking?

thank you!

here is my story: https://www.spine-health.com/forum/treatment/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/full-mri-results-what-do-you-make-them
advertisement