Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

pain when laying on back 9 months after laminectomy

Hello, last December I had a laminectomy of L5 nerve root because my leg was paralyzed. It seems to have worked pretty well.
A few months ago I noticed that I could not lay on my back without a zinging pain/cramp.
I am looking for advice.
I don't know if I should go back to the surgeon, my GP to ask for another MRI or learn to live with it.
Has anyone else experienced an odd pain months after surgery?

Thank you
D
8/31/15 microdiscetomy laminotomy
8/15 reruptured l5
12/24/13 laminotomy/discetomy of L5
9/98 laminectomy l4/l5
advertisement

Comments

• How long has this new pain been occurring? If it is relatively new, then it might be wise to return to your surgeon to see what he thinks.
  • Doreen2DDoreen2 Posts: 44
    edited 10/10/2014 - 12:26 PM
    Thank you Sandi, I never noticed this pain before July or August. All of a sudden I can't lay in bed on my back or I get a bad pain. Kind of a zinging pinching pain. I appreciate your response, I guess I am lost here.

I did not have this problem even when the disc was ruptured and I had emergency surgery in December. I am worried I have done something.
    8/15 reruptured l5
    9/98 laminectomy l4/l5
  • advertisement
  • I am going to try to find my MRI to see what it said, I know there was something else wrong but no one said anything about it. It was either stenosis or another thing that started with an s
    8/15 reruptured l5
    9/98 laminectomy l4/l5
  • where the nerve roots exit at the vertebral evel or it can be spinal canal stenosis......

http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/spinal-stenosis
  • Hi thanks so much for your response, I am going to take a look at the site. I found my MRI from December.

It says at L5-S1 there is mild face arthropathy there is disc height loss. with mild disc bulging with a superimposed left-sided disc protrusion. This dis protrusion causes mild narrowing of the left lateral recess, there is moderate bilateral neural foraminal stenosis

Sorry I don't know what this means, at the time of the MRI the only thing we discussed was the ruptured disc at L4-L5

Again I really appreciate you taking the time to respond
    8/15 reruptured l5
    9/98 laminectomy l4/l5
  • advertisement
  • I've been a 'just get on with it' kind of patient in the past & it's not often a good thing! The advise I've been given by my surgeon is to report any change in symptoms. It's worth making an appointment. Spines are so confusing. Some things get better with a little time & rest or stretching...others get much worse very fast. I think it's always better to be safe than sorry. It still amazes me how much my MRI can change in such a short period of time.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on. This site has helped me become a far more educated patient & that's a good thing with spines!
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Hello, thank you for your comment. You are so right, before my emergency surgery in December I thought I was suffering from a muscle spasm. By the time I got to the spine surgeon my leg was paralyzed. He did say it would take a year to improve.
    I hate to be a permanent patient so have tried to "just deal" with this new symptom.
    I try not to lay on my back but at times it happens and last night I had a very bad bad pain while rolling over.
    This morning I woke to my leg hurting down the back, similar to sciatica. I am going to rest it today see how it is tomorrow.
    If no better then I guess I will be going to the doctor.

Thank you again
    8/15 reruptured l5
    9/98 laminectomy l4/l5
  • Thank you spine-health for all of the links, I will take a look. I really appreciate any help advice I can get. I did rest for a day and the pain down my leg is gone. I still can't lay on my back. I am trying to walk every to help blood flow to that area.
    For many years before the surgery I have had si joint dysfunction. I don't think that is irritated, it is frustrating not being able to lay on my back right now. Thanks again
    8/15 reruptured l5
    9/98 laminectomy l4/l5
advertisement