Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

herniated disc + sciatica

JamesMtlJJamesMtl Posts: 2
So here I am. Newbie introduced to the real world of pain and sufferring. THIS is what I would with upon my enemies...lower back pain and sciatica...
So I am in montreal Canada and faced with trying to:
A/ get a go to order an MRI
B/ find a place with a short waiting list. The one doc who
agreed said it was a 9 month wait at that hospital. She suggested that I try smaller hospitals

So should I be calling around hospitals and inquiring as to the wait time for an MRI? Does one simply ask and obtain thi
Any advice?
My current condition has it that I am in relatively good shape at 5'11 and 160-165 lbs. I am...42.
I have always been fairly active except for short periods in my life. I used to play a lot of street hockey.
I started biking to work and this is when I first started feeling pain in my back.
Three weeks ago things started to get worse. Starting with sciatica.
Last friday I barely finished my work week. A new job. Great new job. No private insurance yet and I have to
be off work now. I am poor and a parent of a wonderful almost 5 year old boy.
Any advice, tips, tricks would be appreciated. I have always been pretty fit and flexible.since friday I couldn't walk sit or lie down without pain. I found three positions that work. On back in the known comfort position, on all fours and on back with left left elavated. That it.
I can give up sports easy. I am used to and miss exercising, strengthening at home.
Without a prior dignosis I will not let Chiro nor myself 'mess with the unknown'. Especially whereas MY back is concerned.
So how can I expidite things here, what can I do?
Btw after 2 full days of complete rest I was able to walk little, stand up a little albeit gingerly and not for long.
As soon as I seemed to forget about it though, symptom came back and here I am making this post.
I do now believe in burying the pain with meds. To me that is asking for more severe injury.
The back pain seems to be very low in my spine, kinda feel electric/scraping feeling in the coxus part of the spine when
I make a movement with my left leg that isolates the injured area.
Help.
Feeling fragile James in KTP
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,745

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • advertisement
  • I live in Toronto. I woke up with a stroke like symptom in my right foot. I had a disectomy on my L5. They weren't sure if it was 2 herniations as it was so big. I had sciatica all my life off and on. With flare ups and good periods of life. If you are experiencing anything extremely painful or neurological then go to emerge. The medical referral system is long to wait here. If you experience bladder or bowel incontinence or numbness in the saddle... Go immediately to emerge. Educate yourself on the Internet and know your options once you get an MRI. Only the doctors can tell you for sure. Keep a journal of activities /pain levels/sleep quality etc. Take this with you to the doctor's /neurosurgeon /orthopedic surgeon. Get more than one opinion. Use private healthcare if you can. Don't wait for them if you are experiencing any numbness or tingling or weakness. Good luck to you. If you are covered under work.... Look into best doctors. They can find shorter waiting lists.
    Exhaust all options.
  • All your life, off and on? That is brutal. When is the earliest you've experienced (age) that you recall?
  • The earliest I remember is when I fell off a horse. I was about 11. I was in lower back pain. A year or 2 later I shovelled the drive of snow and I was out for 2 weeks. I couldn't walk. I had no idea it was sciatic nerve related. In my 20s I was out too for another 2 weeks from work. Since I've been married the past 11 years there's been no leg pain but back pain on and off. I've had 2 kids back pain free and doing yoga helped. The past 2 years were the worst. Gaining weight... Aggressive gardening and older age have been the nail in my coffin. The disc just gave out and landed on my nerve. My life quality up until then has become been good so long as I treated my back carefully. After kids I was sloppy in my form and lazy with my yoga. And super stressed in life. The sciatica got so bad I'd rather deliver another kid. That's how I knew something was super wrong with me.
    I'm back to walking and being careful with lifting anything. After the sciatic nerve was unpinched I was left with a numb and floppy foot. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I can tell when it rains and I'm not even 40.
  • advertisement
  • Hi. I'm about 5 months ahead of you and can totally relate plus I just moved across the country so didn't even have a primary care doctor. Right after I started a new job I started feeling pain just like you. I kept pushing through the pain until one day I could barely walk and went to the ER. They gave me some medicine in an IV and a referral to a speciast. Things have been moving along but I've been on medical leave ever since doing physical therapy and pain management but I'm getting worse. I see my Dr in 2 weeks when I'm hoping to get a surgery date. If you keep feeling bad you should go the the ER. I'm learning this is a long slow road. I hope you have something that will get better in a short time.
  • Hi I'm in Toronto also and I have a herniated disc at l5 s1 that is compressing my nerve root. It's been 10 months of agony! I'm on a wait list for a surgeon. May I ask you who you saw for your surgery? Or if that's not allowed, can you send me a message?? I really don't want surgery but I don't know what else to do. I'm looking for some referrals because I'm scared. Thank you! Also, feel better in Montreal.
  • recommendations of physicians aren't permitted on spine-health. you can use the search feature that i will include the link to. there are listings of doctors in canada that you can hopefully find someone .

find a physician, spine center
    https://www.spine-health.com/doctor/find-a-physician
    https://www.spine-health.com/doctor/spine-center
  • Yup. Painful. Been there.
    I cannot recommend anyone for 2 reasons :
    Spine health rules and honestly, I was an emergency case. I didn't have time. If it worries you.. a second opinion would be nice. Neurosurgeons are like unicorn to see though in this country.. and they have to pass alot of tests to get there so I'd hinge that you're in good hands.... Once you see him/her.
    If you nerve root is causing any numbness /tingling /weakness in the leg/feet or bladder/bowel.. Get moving fast to the ER.
    It's a broken system. What can I say?
    Healing thoughts to you. I've been there. I know.
  • I was not sure if it was a rule. So I appreciate clarification. I'm just in so much pain, as we all are. Thanks for your kindness.
advertisement