Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

herniated disc + sciatica

Comments

• smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 449
    I've suffered from 'bad back' for the last 14 years, roughly 2 years after my 3rd difficult labor/delivery of big-bless-their-hearts-babies. Always recovered from episodes with massage therapy, stretching, chiro...until this past March. Unspeakable pain became my life. "Me too!! ...my experience" if you want the whole story. Be a squeaky wheel, is my advice. My GP set me up with a very reputable orthopedic surgeon 4 hours away, but that consult only happened 5 1/2 months post-injury. I knew someone who works/researches with a reputable neurosurgeon in Winnipeg and they got me squeezed in for an MRI and upon seeing my file the neurosurgeon agreed to see me for a consult...so it helps to have some connections. Most of us do not, though. I have consulted with a neurosurgeon, an orthopedic surgeon, and spine surgeons and I've had 3 different surgical recommendations, so now it's up to me to decide which one I want to go with. If you can, get more than 1 opinion. I know that seems like a long road when you're just fighting to get an MRI right now, but sadly, we wait so long for something here in the land of the free that many just take the first surgery offered. I think it is wise to find a prescription for the pain in the interim, giving yourself a 'calmer' perspective on things so you're not panicking for a solution...research. If you're like me, you're not doing a whole lot these days (I quit work end of July) so you have time on your hands to do that. If and when you get a surgery date, don't hold your breath. I was told my surgery (discectomy) would happen before summer was out, then finally got a date for October 29, then got a call a few days before that it would be postponed into December (no new date, yet). This is a long process. Find a way to make the best of it in the meantime. Sounds cliche, but I'm here too and I'm telling you, attitude makes a big difference.