Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

    Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Hope to get answers today

2

Comments

  • Pamela9PPamela9 WashingtonPosts: 44
    You are in all of our thoughts, prayers and wishes for a speedy recovery to the nightmare you are in. Gentle virtual hug.
    Pam
  • Thank you all for your kind thoughts & well wishes. I too am hoping the results come back soon, so that treatment can be started. The pain this is causing is worse than my original pain, especially at night. Every day, I try to rest as much as possible & get myself thru the pain, but knowing that night is going to follow with even more pain. Most of the time, I just want to break down & cry (sometimes I do), but I try to hold it together when my son is around. I don't want him to see me like that or know how much pain I am in. Luckily, he wanted to have a "movie weekend" this weekend, where we cuddle up on the couch & watch movies. His sister took him to the park yesterday evening for a while, just to get him out in the fresh air for a bit. My boyfriend is going to help him put Halloween decorations up this afternoon & I've told him that he gets to design "the look" (decide where everything will go in the yard, etc) & he is excited to do that. By the way Sandi- I'm pretty sure my friend who works at the hospital (& possibly the Radiologist) had a talk with him about the seriousness of what is going on. He has been very attentive and doing everything he can to take care of me. It seems like he is pretty scared as well. There were two big events that we were supposed to go to this weekend that had been planned long ago. We knew that I was not going to be able to go to either, but he was still planning to go with our group of friends, as of Wednesday night. After we came home from the hospital on Thursday, he told our friends that he was absolutely not going bc he wanted to stay with me. He told me the same, the following day. I asked him if he was sure because I knew how much he was looking forward to it, especially today's music festival, but he acted like he didn't really care about going. It has been such a relief to have his full support & understanding. I am taking 8mg of Dilaudid every 6 hours & it's as if I am taking nothing. It is not helping at all. I'm also taking Tyelonol on top of that to keep fever down. I'm still on the Mobic 1x/day, Robaxin every 6 hours, & Flexeril at bedtime. I'm afraid to tell my PM Dr. I don't want to be hospitalized before Wednesday because I have my son until then & want to try to keep everything as normal as possible for him. I was told that the Radiologist really wanted to admit me following the biopsies on Thursday bc he felt my pain could be better controlled there. I have been told that, once the antibiotic(s) are started, I will start to get some relief pretty quickly. I know the lab work cannot be rushed & is crucial in determining the course of treatment, but I wish still wish treatment had already been started. I think I read, at some point, that Ron (dilauro) had osteomyelitis, so I'm hoping he will chime in too. Besides the osteomyelitis & discitis, the MRI showed a lot of edema in various places & scar tissue & cellulitis "in the surgical tract, so I'm guessing that is all contributing to the pain as well.

    Well, thank you again for your support & kind words. I do appreciate them. I wish you all the best & a pain free day today!
    Lauren
    8/28/14 Discectomy, Laminectomy, Foraminotomy L5-S1
    9/15/15 Surgical Debridement of infected surgical incision & drain seroma; wound vac applied
    10/21/14 L5-S1 Osteomyelitis & Discitis; 10/23/14 Bone & Tissue Biopsy = MRSE
  • advertisement
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,269
    edited 10/26/2014 - 3:51 AM
    I'm sure that they rushed the testing/biopsy results so hopefully, you will hear something on Monday.......you can call to find out.......at this stage, I would take nothing for granted anymore when it comes to doctors and this infection.
    That being said, I am glad that your boyfriend has done a turn around........otherwise, I was thinking that I was going to have to come talk to him , face to face :smile:" alt=":smile:" height="20" />
    Seriously, I am glad to hear that he is doing more and trying........that's all we can ask and it is important , so I am glad that the radiologist and your friend both told him the way it is..........the last thing you need is dealing with that on top of what you are dealing with physically and emotionally. I've had my days of tears too, sitting at home, when no one was around, sobbing my heart out.....we all do, and it is healthy to be able to do it.
  • As I had suspected, the biopsy showed MRSE (Methacillin Resistant Staphylococcus Epidermidis). For those of you who have followed my recovery, this was the same bacteria that was identified in the tissue biopsy that was done during the 2nd surgery (9/15/14), which was a debridement of the surgical infection & drainage of seroma resulting from my original surgery on 8/28/14. The same infection that my Wound Dr, NS, & first ID doctor all blew off, saying it was probably just a contaminant to the culture. They all blew it off, despite continuing & increasing pain, persistent fevers, overwhelming fatigue, muscle/joint aches & wound tunneling! In fact, I really had to push to get the MRI that was done on 10/21/14 & even that was not ordered as "STAT." Going back to my first post op MRI on 9/9/14, an area of concern was noted by the Radiologist as, " L5 inferior endplate marrow signal abnormality with enhancement adjacent to a T2 hyperintense L5/S1 disc." While he went on to note, that this might be a postoperative change, he stated, "Continued follow up is suggested as clinically warranted." Anyone want to guess where extensive MRSE osteomyelitis now exists?! Same place on L5 (except it now covers 2/3 of L5) & extends to S1, as well as the disc space! Additionally, there is "minor collapse of the L4/L5 disc interspace." Now, I can see questioning an MRI that "might be a postoperative change," but when you then have a tissue culture from a debridement surgery a week later come back with MRSE, blood work that comes back a couple weeks later with indicators of infection, & a patient that is presenting with ongoing fevers, increasing pain, night sweats, and other classic symptoms, shouldn't it be investigated before now?

    I am seeing a new ID Dr tomorrow, as my first ID Dr was one of those who blew this off & never followed up when I let him know the culture was a tissue biopsy, not a swab & never followed up after the blood work that HE ordered came back with indicators of infection. Also, when I let the staff know that osteomyelitis had been found, she said I could MAYBE be seen in a week, but likely not until after 11/14! The icing on the cake was when she denied receiving the MRI report that had been faxed by the hospital last week, when I had the fax confirmation page right in front of me. All of that is reason enough to not want to be treated by that Dr or that practice. Seriously, "after 11/14"? There is a lot of infection in there, according to the radiologist who did the bone & tissue biopsy last week & I am having difficulty walking! The pain became so bad yesterday that I could barely converse on the phone with the doctor's offices or my family & that was with 8mg Dilaudid. I finally gave in & called my PM Dr, who has me alternating between the Dilaudid & my old medication every 3 hours. I started that regiment at 4:30pm yesterday. It has made the pain a little more manageable, but certain movements (turning over in bed, standing from a sitting or laying position, or shifting my weight wrong still causes excruciating pain.

    That's all for now. I only had an hour and a half of sleep last night, so Im going to try for a nap. I hope you all are well & I sincerely hope none of you ever have to experience this. This has really shown me the importance of insisting on being heard & advocating for yourself. I wish I had been more aggressive about it sooner.

    Lauren
    8/28/14 Discectomy, Laminectomy, Foraminotomy L5-S1
    9/15/15 Surgical Debridement of infected surgical incision & drain seroma; wound vac applied
    10/21/14 L5-S1 Osteomyelitis & Discitis; 10/23/14 Bone & Tissue Biopsy = MRSE
  • L333777LL333777 Posts: 109
    edited 10/28/2014 - 6:16 AM
    Thank you again for your reply Sandi. I too am glad that he has done a turn around. It is such a relief to now feel his support & understanding. I really feel like he has become my rock & I desperately needed that.

    I am becoming all to familiar with the tears.

    Lauren
    8/28/14 Discectomy, Laminectomy, Foraminotomy L5-S1
    9/15/15 Surgical Debridement of infected surgical incision & drain seroma; wound vac applied
    10/21/14 L5-S1 Osteomyelitis & Discitis; 10/23/14 Bone & Tissue Biopsy = MRSE
  • advertisement
  • You have been through a ton of misery and I hope that you are being cared for emotionally as well. I wouldn't be surprised if you have some depression and anxiety as a result of this. Please make sure you get some support for yourself, mentally speaking, as this is clearly an exhausting and emotional time for you. Hugs!!
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • SarahLindeauSarahLindeau Posts: 766
    edited 10/31/2014 - 7:46 AM
    Lauren, I hope you are doing ok. I keep checking back to see if you've posted but I'm going go hope that you're in hospital and being treated and starting to feel better. Hang in there
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • Pamela9PPamela9 WashingtonPosts: 44
    Hoping that no news is good news...and you are getting answers and the treatment you need to heal quickly.(gentle hug)
    Pam
  • I'm sorry for the delay in updating. It has been busy & tiring here. I saw the new ID Dr on Wednesday & by Thursday morning, I was in hospital, for placement of a PICC line & first dose of Vancomycin. I get 2 doses a day, at home, through the PICC line. Blood will be drawn every week (thru the PICC) to monitor kidney function & effectiveness of antibiotic. The ID Dr has warned that this, nonsurgical, treatment has about a 50% chance to eradicate the bacteria. The infusion makes me so sleepy that I have a hard time keeping my eyes open. Of course, getting only a couple of hours sleep every night probably doesn't help either. That is about all the news I have right now.

    Thank you both for your continued support. It really means a lot. I hope that you both have a restful, pain-free day!

    Lauren
    8/28/14 Discectomy, Laminectomy, Foraminotomy L5-S1
    9/15/15 Surgical Debridement of infected surgical incision & drain seroma; wound vac applied
    10/21/14 L5-S1 Osteomyelitis & Discitis; 10/23/14 Bone & Tissue Biopsy = MRSE
  • Oh poor you :( can you just sleep and rest? Your body needs rest.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
advertisement
Sign In or Register to comment.