Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Chronic pain and exposure at an early age

William GarzaWilliam Garza TexasPosts: 3,934
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:18 AM in Depression and Coping
Hi guys. I am curious. Some of our members and the people at large out there have dealt with pain and health problems from an early age. Do you thing that this early exposure to pain has helped you to better endure the grind? Its not just back pain,its the attendant effects.
Do you have a better view? a better understanding of yourself that helps?
William Garza
Spine-Health Mod
erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

advertisement

Comments

• Yes,I had my first surgury at the age of two and the last one on my ears at the age of 12,i had 22 surgury s in all when i was young,i am glad you asked that,it made me a stronger person,i appreciate life more,i had to struggle when i was young,just to be normal....
  • hey bigcat,yea i was curios,if there was a difference,in the outlook in different groups,newly hurt and been hurt,and those who have been dealing for ages like yourself.
    i wonder if it makes a difference in the perception,of pain.
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• advertisement
  • And I have been dealing with this for 8 years and have struggled!!! You guys are strong to have gone through so much so young!!! I bow to you both for keeping the fight up!!!
    nana2007~Dawn
  • I probably have accepted my limitations better then some people,because i have just had to deal with alot from a early age,one example,once a doctor pulled a tube out of my ear when i was awake,i try not to live in the past,but sometimes i do have nightmares of my early surgurys,i can remeber being in a hospital crip,and being scared when my mom left,i was alone that always scared me the most...
  • That has to be traumatic! i cant imagine the thoughts running through your head at the time.
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• advertisement
  • I just wanted to share my experiences with you,it was hard, but like i said, i dont live in the past,i look towards the future....I have only talked about that a couple of times,and i still havnt shared my whole story....
  • Bigcat, I can't imagine how brave you must have to be as a child to endure so much of that alone. Years ago parents thought nothing of leaving their children in that situation without someone there- I think it's a different story today and that not many children have to go through that because of the way the world is.

Ranch, I agree, the perception and acceptance has to be very different with those who have had to deal from a young age and those who have had traumatic incidents or sudden onsets. I remember reading an interview with Ray Charles and the interviewer asked him if he'd been blind his whole life. He replied "Not yet.". I was amazed at the attitude and still am. I had a client with a devestating neure-muscular disease who wasn't supposed to live past the age of 10. She had a goal to graduate from high school and she did. I never heard her complain and she was completely accepting of her fate in life. Unfortunately, she died within 2 weeks of graduation.

I need to remember people like that and you, Bigcat, more. I'm so humbled by those stories.

Griff
  • :) i have had chronic pain most all my life. i had polio as a child and wore braces and special shoes till i was about 12. there was alot of pain involved with growing and wearing the braces. i ruptured two discs in my back at age 15. i was so young they did not want to do the necessary tests on me and so i suffered till i was 24 and had emergency back surgery. i was in a wheel chair by then. i have not known life any other way. i sometimes get frustrated hearing people complain of pain they have had for 3 or 4 months and that they could just die! i think some people need a reality check! having pain of 10 and sitting there posting just doesn't happen! i have learned patience and a strong regard for people who are suffering. i have never been "normal" and do my best to live a regular life. pain just doesn't make that so! i learned acceptance a long time ago. once i did it made life so much easier! Jenny :)
  • thanks for the comeback! i am glad you see what i was getting at.sorry for your pain!I think its the patience that sets some apart from others,"a patience born of suffering" Big cat i had a friend ,david, who had similar operations in his ears,loved that kid,,always had a smile in the worst of times.
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• That's definitely a good question. I've had health problems my entire life (although my chronic pain started at 14). I think having pain for so long really has made me "used" to my condition. All I know is that I don't want to say I've had pain my entire life 5 or 10 years from now! :(
advertisement