Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

cervical discectomy & fusion

RuebenRRueben Posts: 2
edited 11/05/2014 - 3:08 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have previously had an anterior cervical discectomy & fusion. I still have massive problems so my surgeon is going to operate on me again in the same area but this time going in through my back. i.e. not anterior. I cannot find any details on this procedure on the internet. My surgeon says he is going to have everything ready (plates, bolts, screws, etc) so he is prepared for all eventualities once he has opened me up. He also says that because he is going in through my back the recovery/rehab time will be a lot longer than for an anterior procedure because he has to do a lot more cutting. Anyone had similar or any advice please?
advertisement

Comments

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 606
    I also had anterior cervical fusion. When it didn't fuse, 9 months later, I had posterior surgery. My personal opinion is the posterior fusion was much worse as far as pain & recovery goes. I didn't have to wear any collar after first surgery. With the 2nd on I had to wear a soft collar for about 2 months. Also no driving for that whole time either. That was very hard. I am now 8 months post surgery. I am still having issues. My surgeon referred me to pain doctor & he has since put me back in therapy & started me on several meds. I am having a lot of nerve pain now. When is your surgery scheduled for? I wish you luck.
    Cathy
  • I have had 3 spinal surgeries done in the same area with a spinal fusion due to problems from my first fusion. Is there anything specific you want to know?
  • advertisement