Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

This has to be against the law

Comments

• dilauro said:
    That is a fact.

I've run into this several times at different pharmacies. Script calls for 180, they have only 100. They can fill it, but then
    that script is gone forever. This applies to narcotics only.

That sounds criminal.
  • Since scheduled medications are different than others, they can not offer you a partial fill, and you pick up the rest later, unless the medication is going to be delivered to the pharmacy in the next 24/48/72 hours I believe( it varies state to state). Those states that do allow a partial fill must have the medication coming into stock within a certain time frame, otherwise you forfeit the remaining amount. If you do accept the partial fill, then you would need a new prescription from your doctor the remaining doses and some doctors won't do that, if you accept the partial fill, then you are out of luck for the remainder.That's why it is not a good idea to accept a partial fill of any scheduled medication and ask your doctor what you should do in those instances.
  • advertisement
  • Many doctors want you to choose a pharmacy & only use that one. It's worth asking what you should do if your chosen one doesn't have all the pills to fill your prescription. My doc doesn't mind me going somewhere else if they're out of stock (hardly ever happens) but my old doc wanted everything filled by a little pharmacy near him. I had to notify him where I was going if they didn't have my meds before I filled the prescription.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,527
    I use does not have my type of pain medication. It can take them 3-5 days to get a new order in, so I do have to try other pharmacies. I think why I have never had a problem with another pharmacy having the medication is that the pharmacy itself is identified on my prescription card.

So , even if you are a new customer, the insurance companies should help dictate if you can get medications or not (narcotic that is)
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • When I was in FL this happen a lot. Most of the time they would do a partial fill and you would get the rest later. However that has all changed about 2 years ago. Now you are lucky if you can get your prescription filled anywhere. It is so bad if a pharmacy tells you they only have 30 out of 40 tabs you end up taking the short fill because the other 10 pharmacy's you already have gone to will not fill it. Since I have been in MN there has only been one time the pharmacy had only 81 pills of the 90 that was prescribed. Because of the prescription monitoring program list what medication you get, dose and how many getting a new prescription a few days early from my doctor was not a problem.
  • advertisement
  • jo1031jjo1031 Posts: 1
    edited 11/28/2014 - 3:53 AM
    I believe it is the particular pharmacy's choice as to whether to fill the rest of the script. The CVS I used to use regularly would do that for me...but the one I have used for the past 2 years will not. CVS (at least in my area) has stopped calling to see if another store has a medication that store is out of too, which sucks. Now I have to travel to different stores if one (or more) are out of my medication. I will add that the CVS I used prior to this one - I moved so gong back there is not an option - they knew what my medication was and how many of them I would need each month and would make sure to have them on hand. I have yet to find another store like that!
  • kathiskkkathisk Posts: 5
    edited 12/03/2014 - 3:55 AM
    I used to be on oxy but now i am on hydromorphone, I have all kinds of issues with pharmacies, I finally found one that is close to my town and doesnt hassle me, its more my insurance company that makes poor decisions. I have gone to fill a prescription for oxycodone, actually percocet and they only have 100 or so tablets so they write on the bottle and prescription what the balance owing is and i would pick it up when it came in. here in canada our pharmacies have narcotics in a time lock safe so they can only dispense so much at a time . I would make sure I had my script in a few days before the previous one ran out so that I didnt have to wait for them to get it ready. I would shop around for a pharmacy that meets your needs. I have had issues with pharmacies and they are different. Have to find one that is good for you
    2009 discectomy/laminectomy L5-S1
    2013 revision and discectomy/laminectomy /forimanotomy L4-L5
    2014 Fusion and hardware L3-S1
  • In the USA you must be very careful about pharmacy shopping. In KY if you do it they will enter you into a program called KASPER. It essentially labels you as a seeker and then you are really done! We have to designate which pharmacy we use and the dr's office will verify it through KASPER each time you go in for an appointment.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • All this trouble for pain relief. I don't know what problems everyone has but all this can not be good for anyone. Seems like the doctors are not doing enough to take away the pain beside prescribing drugs. But what do I know? I have no idea what procedures that you all went through already. It just feels to me that there should be something more done. I feel for you all. I know that I have been getting very little relief from the surgery and then the meds afterwards. Some days I have no idea how I get through it since my doctor has not prescribed anything more than what I came home with from the hospital.
    Tracie C
  • PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    I worked in pharmacy for several years and the state laws obviously vary from state to state but there are also Federal laws for filling certain medications. Don't blame the docs or the pharmacists- put the blame on those people who are selling the drugs to make a buck on the street and hurting us all.

The best way to make sure you can get an entire script filled is ask your doc to put a starting date and an ending date on the script. Have the starting date be a day or 2 from the present. This allows the pharmacy time to have in the entire amount of the drug needed to fill your prescription and, you have handed over the prescription to the pharmacy within the necessary initial 24 hours. Ask your doctor for a tiny script to get you through the first few days.
    Sheila

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
advertisement