Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

This has to be against the law

Comments

• Here in Pa. (don't know about other states), most pain mgmt. Dr.'s are associated with compounding pharmacies. They fax in your prescription, the compounding pharmacy makes the pills and puts them in a countable package, then deliver them to you. Sometimes it is a pain having to wait for the delivery, but at least I don't have to hassle with a pharmacy.
  • PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    I also live in PA, in Philly but have my Pharmacy License from RI- I don't plan on renewing it. Compounding meds and narcotic meds are not necessarily one in the same.
    Since starting with the Pain Facility I have been using I have noticed the requirements for written prescriptions for scheduled drugs change three times. I'm pretty sure this is a Federal Thing and the DEA requires a written script that can be handed to a pharmacist for all schedule V meds. And, to further add confusion, the Fed has been changing the category of meds too. All my scripts from Pain Mgt fall in Schedule V category so all these scripts are handed to me. Another doc prescribed me just 1 scheduled drug so he hands me one hard copy script and electronically sends the others to the pharmacy. Another doc submits a single prescription for a med to be refilled 11 times over a year........ life is simple for him!

Also, as the DEA changes its rules so too may the individual insurance companies and their formularies. When I was young and innocent I thought filling a prescription meant having good counting skills. When I was working in the field the long waits were usually for dealing with the insurance company. There are extra checks and counting and record keeping and locked safes for the narcotic meds (and also a few baffles added to confound a thief trying to get his high by ripping off a pharmacy).

I do remember one customer who found a way to get a new script very often for Vicodin. The pharmacy record keeping set off a screen on the computer notifying us that she was over the safe limit of narcotics. The pharmacist "can" bypass the screen, fill the script and send the person on their way but most will deny the prescription and refuse to return it. It's an ethics thing and while you "can" call your doc and tell them that your pharmacist refused to fill the script most docs will ask to speak to the pharmacist so all providers are on the same page.

It may feel intrusive but medical providers take a pledge to do no harm. Irritating the consumer isn't intended. Feel free to blame the thousands of drug abusers for making this system so difficult.
    Sheila

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
  • advertisement