Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Failed S1-L5 Spinal Fusion with 2 Broken Screws

BrentawBrentaw Posts: 5
edited 11/17/2014 - 4:48 AM in Depression and Coping
In March 2010 I had a 6 hour spinal fusion.
During the surgery the neurosurgeon accidentally slipped and cut open my right L5 nerve root (sciatica) and failed to ever tell me. I originally had radicular pain shooting down my left leg to my left large toe before the surgery. I had a left L5 bulging disc impinging my left L5 nerve root.
The surgeon shaved the bulging didc down abd fixed my left leg pain but when he accidentally cut open my right L5 nerve root, he caused part of my right quad to be numb and half my right foot has been numb for almost 5 years now. The fusion was a failure as the bone graph the surgeon used where he placed a fake disc did not take.
2 of my four screws (the lower two) are now broken off at their heads.
I have been stuck lying in bed for one year waiting for the surgery and 4.5 years after the surgery about 90% of the day suffering.
I take one percocet and 30mg of Oxycodone every 4 hours just to keep me out of emergency as if I don't take my pain medication, it feels like someone took a baseball bat to my lower back. Very crippling pain. I have had to take to 7.5 zopiclone sleeping pills at night just to be able to sleep through the pain.

In the 6 post office visits with my surgeon he always looked guilty like a kid caught stealing a cookie from the cookie jar. I couldn't figure out why he looked very guilty until my WCB appeal was denied to me 2 years later and my WCB attorney gave me my WCB medical file. When I read the operative report is when I found out my surgeon damaged my right L5 nerve root that he hid from me for over 2 years. When I confronted my surgeon in an email about him not telling me, he sent his lawyers after me to never contact him again or I will be charged.
I tried hiring a lawyer but ever law office I called in Calgary all said it was a conflict of interest as they were all affiliated with my surgeon. I then found out you had only 2 years to sue for medical malpractice and I was over the 2 year limitation.
Since my surgeon is with EDITED all the surgeons won't deal with me as they are all friends.
95% of my friends just walked away after my failed spinal fusion as I am no use to them stuck in bed all day.
Even most of my family started poking my buttons and now I don't talk to them either.
I did marry a beautiful woman 2 years ago and she is Christian and has stood behind me through all of this.
I met with a surgeon that was on the same team as my surgeon in February 2013. He had s CT-Scan done on me. We met after the CT-Scan and he told me that the fusion was unsuccessful and I had 2 broken screws from the friction of movement.
He said I have two options. Option 1 is to go for a 10 hour dual fusion to try and fix the single fusion. He would have to add twice the hardware in my back. Since the first surgeon left a lot of scar tissue in my lower back that a second surgery I would have an 80% chance of losing complete functionality in my right leg called Drop foot, which would leave me in a wheelchair the rest of my life. Option 2 is to continue suffering like I am now and then I am still able to walk a bit. I went with option 2 as I don't want to be stuck in a wheelchair for the rest of my life.
I can only walk for exercise by walking. The more exercise I do I have severe pain from my broken unfused back.
Anyone have any suggestions?
advertisement

Comments

• Brentaw said:
    In March 2010 I had a 6 hour spinal fusion.
    During the surgery the neurosurgeon accidentally slipped and cut open my right L5 nerve root (sciatica) and failed to ever tell me. I originally had radicular pain shooting down my left leg to my left large toe before the surgery. I had a left L5 bulging disc impinging my left L5 nerve root.
    The surgeon shaved the bulging didc down abd fixed my left leg pain but when he accidentally cut open my right L5 nerve root, he caused part of my right quad to be numb and half my right foot has been numb for almost 5 years now. The fusion was a failure as the bone graph the surgeon used where he placed a fake disc did not take.
    2 of my four screws (the lower two) are now broken off at their heads.
    I have been stuck lying in bed for one year waiting for the surgery and 4.5 years after the surgery about 90% of the day suffering.
    I take one percocet and 30mg of Oxycodone every 4 hours just to keep me out of emergency as if I don't take my pain medication, it feels like someone took a baseball bat to my lower back. Very crippling pain. I have had to take to 7.5 zopiclone sleeping pills at night just to be able to sleep through the pain.

In the 6 post office visits with my surgeon he always looked guilty like a kid caught stealing a cookie from the cookie jar. I couldn't figure out why he looked very guilty until my WCB appeal was denied to me 2 years later and my WCB attorney gave me my WCB medical file. When I read the operative report is when I found out my surgeon damaged my right L5 nerve root that he hid from me for over 2 years. When I confronted my surgeon in an email about him not telling me, he sent his lawyers after me to never contact him again or I will be charged.
    I tried hiring a lawyer but ever law office I called in Calgary all said it was a conflict of interest as they were all affiliated with my surgeon. I then found out you had only 2 years to sue for medical malpractice and I was over the 2 year limitation.
    Since my surgeon is with EDITED all the surgeons won't deal with me as they are all friends.
    95% of my friends just walked away after my failed spinal fusion as I am no use to them stuck in bed all day.
    Even most of my family started poking my buttons and now I don't talk to them either.
    I did marry a beautiful woman 2 years ago and she is Christian and has stood behind me through all of this.
    I met with a surgeon that was on the same team as my surgeon in February 2013. He had s CT-Scan done on me. We met after the CT-Scan and he told me that the fusion was unsuccessful and I had 2 broken screws from the friction of movement.
    He said I have two options. Option 1 is to go for a 10 hour dual fusion to try and fix the single fusion. He would have to add twice the hardware in my back. Since the first surgeon left a lot of scar tissue in my lower back that a second surgery I would have an 80% chance of losing complete functionality in my right leg called Drop foot, which would leave me in a wheelchair the rest of my life. Option 2 is to continue suffering like I am now and then I am still able to walk a bit. I went with option 2 as I don't want to be stuck in a wheelchair for the rest of my life.
    I can only walk for exercise by walking. The more exercise I do I have severe pain from my broken unfused back.
    Anyone have any suggestions?
    OMG. I'm so sorry to hear of your situation. Shame on that doctor. He should have his license revoked.
    Shame on your family for not being there for you, but thank God he sent you someone who loves you and takes care of you.
    Inspite of your trials and tribulations, you are very much loved and blessed because you have love.
    I had the same surgery twice 2008/2010, as well and now I have a whole new set of problems plus some of the previous issues.