Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Major complication after Laminectomy

fastpacoffastpaco Posts: 2
edited 11/20/2014 - 6:03 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Im a 40 year old man in pretty good shape and lived for many years with a couple herniated disks. I had been getting epidurals for years but they stopped helping. So, I had to have a Laminectomy on L5/S1 back in June.
After my surgery I had severe pain and numbness in my saddle region. I was kept in the hospital for 3 day extra days in agonizing pain. The doctor chose to keep me severely sedated on pain meds for these 2 days. Finally on the 3rd day I was given a CT scan which showed that I had a sever disk rupture and my sacral nerve was pinched for a couple days. A second surgery was ordered and the "toothpaste" type substance was cleaned out and pressure relieved.
As a result, I have some life changing problems that have severely impacted my life. From what I read, it could have been much worse and I am trying to focus on the positive. I am roughly 4 months out of surgery and for the foreseeable future, my bladder does not work and I have severe numbness in my saddle area. Anyone else have something terrible like this happen and Recover?
B
advertisement

Comments

• fastpaco said:
    Im a 40 year old man in pretty good shape and lived for many years with a couple herniated disks. I had been getting epidurals for years but they stopped helping. So, I had to have a Laminectomy on L5/S1 back in June.
    After my surgery I had severe pain and numbness in my saddle region. I was kept in the hospital for 3 day extra days in agonizing pain. The doctor chose to keep me severely sedated on pain meds for these 2 days. Finally on the 3rd day I was given a CT scan which showed that I had a sever disk rupture and my sacral nerve was pinched for a couple days. A second surgery was ordered and the "toothpaste" type substance was cleaned out and pressure relieved.
    As a result, I have some life changing problems that have severely impacted my life. From what I read, it could have been much worse and I am trying to focus on the positive. I am roughly 4 months out of surgery and for the foreseeable future, my bladder does not work and I have severe numbness in my saddle area. Anyone else have something terrible like this happen and Recover?
    B
    Im having similar issues with the rectum section being numb. Check out some of my post
  • advertisement