Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Tippy Toes - 6 Months Post L5SI Micro-Discectomy

CityMomCCityMom Posts: 1
edited 11/27/2014 - 5:10 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hello all - such great information on this forum. I wanted to check in to see if anyone has had a similar experience and can offer insight. I'm in my 30s and healthy, pretty fit. I ruptured a disc (likely pregnancy/birth-related) causing severe sciatic pain and numbness. After about 6 months of terrible pain that PT did not help, I opted for surgery.

It cured the sciatica, which was a huge relief. I started PT 10 weeks post surgery and have been good about the exercises. Yet, I still have extreme tenderness (often pain) + weakness on my surgery side. I cannot get up on my tippy toe on one side. You never know what you take for granted until you can't do it.

Doc said to be patient and keep at PT and walking. I limp noticeably. He said my nerve damage was bad, and it takes a long time to reverse. He said even a year+. I don't take pain killers but do take a strong anti-inflammatory (NSAID). Without it, my back really hurts. And my pain is often at a 4-5 even with it. Pre-surgery, I was an easy 9-10.

Anyone else regain the ability to walk on tippy toes? How did you work on that calf in a targeted way in an everyday setting (tough to get to the gym with kids at home)? How long did it take you to fully recover? I'm just hoping this is not my new normal.

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,489
    edited 11/27/2014 - 5:10 AM

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • My issue is almost the same only I can't walk on my heel (lift the toe) Everyone keeps and kept saying nerves take time. A good physio will measure your ranges and mark improvement over time. It's painfully slow (pun intended) but keep up the physio to create an ideal environment for when the nerves come back. I have 2 little kids.. So all physio is done at home. Lots of strengthening and Gait motion actions to keep me walking straighter. It's been just over 4 months since a very sudden and massive root impingement. I was compressed for 20 days. I was obsessed with getting better. Now I just do my moves. Live my life.. and I know what I get back is what I get back. Nerves are tricky frustratingly slow animals.
  • advertisement
  • I'm having almost the exact same issues, with the difference being I am only 2 months post op, and haven't ever had significant relief. I was actually in worse pain immediately following surgery and while I have had some decrease in my constant everyday all the time pain, I am still having numbness on my left side. I pushed for another mri and am waiting for insurance approval.
    Dea-Lynn
  • I'm having almost the exact same issues, with the difference being I am only 2 months post op, and haven't ever had significant relief. I was actually in worse pain immediately following surgery and while I have had some decrease in my constant everyday all the time pain, I am still having numbness on my left side. I pushed for another mri and am waiting for insurance approval.
    Dea-Lynn
  • I also had a massive L5 S1 herniation along with surgery about 6 months ago. At About 5 months I was able to get on my toes, but it's not easy to do so. The good news is, this was not even possible a few months ago. With this said, I'm still experiencing bad nerve pain in my left foot along with some muscle atrophy in my left calf. I hoping one day soon, I wake up and all the pain will be a thing of the past. I know nerves heal very slow, but I'm getting tired of waiting......
  • advertisement
advertisement