Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Just needing support and answers

Jshea09JJshea09 Posts: 2
edited 12/05/2014 - 5:59 PM in Lower Back Pain
hi everyone, i'm new to this forum. i've had sciatica problems since early 2011 and it seems each incident just gets worse than the last. my most recent attack is going on it's 3rd week now. normally i'm back to what i consider "normal" within a week or a week and a half. i was cleaning my house when this last one started. just normal cleaning before guests came over, no deep cleaning. the next day i could really feel it, the pain progressed as the days passed. starting on saturday night and by late sunday night/monday morning i couldn't move. my mom came to my house at 1 in the morning to try and help me stand up so i could go to the rest room, that didn't happen. i was screaming out in pain. it felt like someone was stabbing me in the left side of my back while they squeezed and twisted a handful of muscles and nerves as hard as they could. the next day, i had a doctors appointment, so i forced myself to fight through the pain and stand. it took me an hour to get out of my bed and stand upright with the help of my fiancé and a chair. he had to dresse as well. i was using a cane at this point and had to take the smallest possible steps when walking in order to just be able to handle it. i was give pain pills, anti inflammatories and muscle relaxers. i slept on a recliner for a week with a lumbar pillow and a back brace because that was the only way i could get comfortable and the only way i was able to stand up over the next few days as it helped to get me into a sitting position when i was ready to try and stand. after that week i was finally able to sleep in my bed again but sitting and walking still hurt. on to the second week, i was slowly getting better. walking i longer bothered me as much and i could get up out of bed with no problem. so i decided i would try and go back to my job as a data entry operator on the third week. i made it through a day and a half before i was back at the doctor. i was almost back to not beig able to walk. except now it's a different kind of pain. it almost feels like it's my tailbone. the muscles no longer hurt like they did and i don't feel the nerve pain anymore, it feels like a bone is what's hurting. my doctor referred me to physical therapy so i would be able to have an mri. i haven't madet appt yet because i'm still trying to figure out how to pay for it after missing nearly 3 weeks of work. i have a go fund me account that has been very unsuccessful. anyway, back to my story, i'm wondering if this could possibly be a herniated disk? i know that i won't really know until i have some imaging done to confirm, but what does a herniated disk feel like?

i'm used to aching everyday and being in pain everyday, but this time isn't like all the other times or like any other day of pain. it's lasting so much longer and i feel so useless and needy and it frustrates me and embarrasses me to need so much help. i'm worried that i'm starting to get depressed because of it. i joined the forum for support and to talk to people who know what i feel like in hopes that it will help. so that is my story, along with a question or two. nice to meet you all and tia for any input you have.

*********************************************************************************************************

welcome to spine-health

it would be very helpful if you could provide us with more details. here are some questions that you
should answer:
  • - when did this first start?- was it the result of an accident or trauma?- what doctors have you seen?- what conservative treatments have you had? which ones?- what diagnostic tests have you had? and their results- what medications are you currently using?- has surgery been discussed as an option?- what is your doctor’s action plan for treating you?

providing answers to questions like this will give the member community here a better understanding
of your situation and make it easier to respond.

please take a look at our forum rules: forum rules

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--- ron dilauro, spine-health system moderator : 12/05/14 23:59
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

advertisement

Comments

• I just read over my post and I want to apologize for the typos, I'm using my iPhone. It was also suggested to me to answers these questions to try and give everyone a better understanding and hopefully it will everyone be able to better reply. So here goes, I'm going to copy and paste the questions and answer them out to the side of each one.

- When did this first start? - My very first attack was in late February/early March of 2011. I was taking a shower and when I was finished and was about to get dressed, I bent over to pick up my clothes and had a sharp pain and was unable to straighten back up. Bent over, I made my way to the toilet to sit down so I could try and dress myself before I called for help. I ended up going to the hospital for it that time and wasn't giving any medicine at all, not even so much as an ibuprofen. I was told to put moist heat on it and they dismissed it. No questions asked. So I spent some time in bed letting it heal. It got better and I went back to work but not without pain and I've been in constant pain since that day, I have flare ups several times a year that cause me to be completely unable to move. I've yet to actually be diagnosed with anything, I've been assuming sciatica.

- Was it the result of an accident or trauma? - I have some suspicions that it could be undiagnosed damage from a car wreck that I was in in 2007, but I'm not sure because of the time inbetween the accident and my first flare up. I guess it could still be the cause, but I'm relatively new to this so I have no idea. Nearly 4 years is a very small amount of time compared to some who have dealt with chronic pain for 15 and 20 plus years. I also had a c-section in 2009, when they were doing my spinal before the surgery, they couldn't quite get it right. They did it multiple times before they finally got it and stopped. I was in tears. And at one point they got me somewhere that caused me so much pain that I jerked out of reaction to it. I'm not sure if that could have anything to do with it either. I have also gained quite a bit of weight in the last several years, but I am currently taking adipex and watching what I eat so I can try to drop the weight, I know that would benefit me in more than ways than one.

- What doctors have you seen? - Since 2011, I have seen a dismissive nurse at the hospital, a PA who gave me a shot of tordol and a prescription for 100mg neurontin. Those did absolutely nothing for me. I asked him for muscle relaxers and/or pain medicine and was once again dismissed as if I were just there for drugs. In between those visits, I didn't see a doctor because I was convinced no one would help me and I would continue to be dismissed as a "junkie". Now I am currently seeing my general practitioner, she is a PA as well but she's been a great help. For my last flare up that is still continuing, she gave me meloxicam 7.5mg to take twice a day, norco 7.5 & zanaflex 4mg to take every 6 hours. After going to her 4 times in 2 and a half weeks she has finally referred me to a physical therapist. The medicine she gave me works... For a while. And then it starts to hurt really bad again after just a couple of hours. It's hard to not take the medicine before I'm supposed to, I don't want to run out before expected and have her thinking that I am in search of drugs. So in between I take 4 ibuprofen until I can take one of the meds again. I haven't made my physical therapy appointment yet because like I said, I'm trying to figure out how to pay for it since I've been unable to work. But that's the only way I'll get an MRI so I will definitely be going. I've been waiting long enoug for someone to give me an MRI and tell me what is wrong so maybe we can start a treatment plan or something. Something to get me on the track to hopefully feeling better.

- What Conservative treatments have you had? Which ones? - As of right now, only what I've previously mentioned. The norco, meloxicam & zanaflex have been what's worked this time around. It's the only thing that got me though the first week and a half and helped me to sleep. Now that it's eases off some, it gets me through a normal day at home and I can get around ok for now, but it still doesn't help me while I'm at work. Like I said before, I tried to go back and I took my medicine when I got to work and I lasted a day and a half before I had to see my doctor again. I'm terrified of making it worse and going backwards and not being able to move at all again. I know my job doesn't help anything, sitting all day. I know it's horrible. I have submitted a claim for short term disability for work and now I'm waiting to hear if I'm approved.

- What diagnostic tests have you had? And their results - As of right now, none. I must first go to physical therapy and then I will be able to get an MRI. I will update when I have that done.

- What medications are you currently using? - Meloxicam 7.5mg twice a day for inflammation, zanaflex 4mg every 6 hours & norco 7.5 every 8 hours. As well as ibuprofen as needed.

- Has surgery been discussed as an option? - Not yet. I'm hoping it won't be because surgery terrifies me. If it is though, it will be given much thought and consideration before I decide yes or no regardless of how scared it makes me.

- What is your doctor’s action plan for treating you? - Right now we're doing my blend of medications, moist heat, ice packs, and awaiting physical therapy.

Sorry for such a long response, I'm sure that at times I rambled. I hope this helps. I'm just frustrated and so down. I don't know what to do. I'm tired of having to go to different doctors and I'm tired of always taking medicine. It helps and that's great and I know going to the dr will be the only way to determine what exactly is wrong, but it's just so stressful. I'm 27. This all started when I was 23 going on 24. I have a son. I can't do a lot of things he wants to do because it hurts so much. I try, but I get scared I'm going to make it worse. We made a gingerbread house last night and I was so extremely uncomfortable the entire time and I tried so hard to not show it because he was having such a good time and I didn't want him to know that it was killing me. I cry almost daily. When I did try to go back to work I made a comment that I couldn't sit in the training room chairs for 3 hours (they're the absolute worst chairs you can imagine. No support, hard, and unable to adjust them or lock the back of them) and a supervisor asked me "and why is that!?", the tone of their voice just broke my heart. I explained to them that I had just spent all that time off work being unable to walk. They dismissed me and walked away. I was crushed. It still bothers me. It's so hard when people can't see a gaping wound that they can tell hurts. When you look fine on the outside they automatically assume that you're not really in pain. Everyday is a struggle. No one knows this better than you guys here. I accidentally found this forum. And it's a blessing. To finally find people who know how I feel. I'm hoping it will make my journey a little easier.

Sorry for rambling. I just had so much I needed to get off my chest. Thanks for reading and I hope to hear back from some of you. And again, sorry for the typos. I tried to catch them and correct them, but like I said, I'm using my iPhone. :)
  • To be honest, thats a lot of stuff you have written in one post, but i do understand we all are looking for answers.

I am going through the same condition as you are going through.
    Just had my 2nd MRI 2 days back right now on medications and bed ridden.

I had my first flare up in 2009, from then i am not same anymore i can be a normal personal and then suddenly in pain, depressed on medication and then again normal dancing around with friends.

so you are not alone, there are others out there going through the same and looking for an answer what might work
    Kind regards
    Rahul
  • advertisement
  • SadAthleteSadAthlete Toronto Ontario Posts: 39
    edited 12/13/2014 - 8:15 PM
    Jshea09 said:
    I just read over my post and I want to apologize for the typos, I'm using my iPhone. It was also suggested to me to answers these questions to try and give everyone a better understanding and hopefully it will everyone be able to better reply. So here goes, I'm going to copy and paste the questions and answer them out to the side of each one.

- When did this first start? - My very first attack was in late February/early March of 2011. I was taking a shower and when I was finished and was about to get dressed, I bent over to pick up my clothes and had a sharp pain and was unable to straighten back up. Bent over, I made my way to the toilet to sit down so I could try and dress myself before I called for help. I ended up going to the hospital for it that time and wasn't giving any medicine at all, not even so much as an ibuprofen. I was told to put moist heat on it and they dismissed it. No questions asked. So I spent some time in bed letting it heal. It got better and I went back to work but not without pain and I've been in constant pain since that day, I have flare ups several times a year that cause me to be completely unable to move. I've yet to actually be diagnosed with anything, I've been assuming sciatica.

- Was it the result of an accident or trauma? - I have some suspicions that it could be undiagnosed damage from a car wreck that I was in in 2007, but I'm not sure because of the time inbetween the accident and my first flare up. I guess it could still be the cause, but I'm relatively new to this so I have no idea. Nearly 4 years is a very small amount of time compared to some who have dealt with chronic pain for 15 and 20 plus years. I also had a c-section in 2009, when they were doing my spinal before the surgery, they couldn't quite get it right. They did it multiple times before they finally got it and stopped. I was in tears. And at one point they got me somewhere that caused me so much pain that I jerked out of reaction to it. I'm not sure if that could have anything to do with it either. I have also gained quite a bit of weight in the last several years, but I am currently taking adipex and watching what I eat so I can try to drop the weight, I know that would benefit me in more than ways than one.

- What doctors have you seen? - Since 2011, I have seen a dismissive nurse at the hospital, a PA who gave me a shot of tordol and a prescription for 100mg neurontin. Those did absolutely nothing for me. I asked him for muscle relaxers and/or pain medicine and was once again dismissed as if I were just there for drugs. In between those visits, I didn't see a doctor because I was convinced no one would help me and I would continue to be dismissed as a "junkie". Now I am currently seeing my general practitioner, she is a PA as well but she's been a great help. For my last flare up that is still continuing, she gave me meloxicam 7.5mg to take twice a day, norco 7.5 & zanaflex 4mg to take every 6 hours. After going to her 4 times in 2 and a half weeks she has finally referred me to a physical therapist. The medicine she gave me works... For a while. And then it starts to hurt really bad again after just a couple of hours. It's hard to not take the medicine before I'm supposed to, I don't want to run out before expected and have her thinking that I am in search of drugs. So in between I take 4 ibuprofen until I can take one of the meds again. I haven't made my physical therapy appointment yet because like I said, I'm trying to figure out how to pay for it since I've been unable to work. But that's the only way I'll get an MRI so I will definitely be going. I've been waiting long enoug for someone to give me an MRI and tell me what is wrong so maybe we can start a treatment plan or something. Something to get me on the track to hopefully feeling better.

- What Conservative treatments have you had? Which ones? - As of right now, only what I've previously mentioned. The norco, meloxicam & zanaflex have been what's worked this time around. It's the only thing that got me though the first week and a half and helped me to sleep. Now that it's eases off some, it gets me through a normal day at home and I can get around ok for now, but it still doesn't help me while I'm at work. Like I said before, I tried to go back and I took my medicine when I got to work and I lasted a day and a half before I had to see my doctor again. I'm terrified of making it worse and going backwards and not being able to move at all again. I know my job doesn't help anything, sitting all day. I know it's horrible. I have submitted a claim for short term disability for work and now I'm waiting to hear if I'm approved.

- What diagnostic tests have you had? And their results - As of right now, none. I must first go to physical therapy and then I will be able to get an MRI. I will update when I have that done.

- What medications are you currently using? - Meloxicam 7.5mg twice a day for inflammation, zanaflex 4mg every 6 hours & norco 7.5 every 8 hours. As well as ibuprofen as needed.

- Has surgery been discussed as an option? - Not yet. I'm hoping it won't be because surgery terrifies me. If it is though, it will be given much thought and consideration before I decide yes or no regardless of how scared it makes me.

- What is your doctor’s action plan for treating you? - Right now we're doing my blend of medications, moist heat, ice packs, and awaiting physical therapy.

Sorry for such a long response, I'm sure that at times I rambled. I hope this helps. I'm just frustrated and so down. I don't know what to do. I'm tired of having to go to different doctors and I'm tired of always taking medicine. It helps and that's great and I know going to the dr will be the only way to determine what exactly is wrong, but it's just so stressful. I'm 27. This all started when I was 23 going on 24. I have a son. I can't do a lot of things he wants to do because it hurts so much. I try, but I get scared I'm going to make it worse. We made a gingerbread house last night and I was so extremely uncomfortable the entire time and I tried so hard to not show it because he was having such a good time and I didn't want him to know that it was killing me. I cry almost daily. When I did try to go back to work I made a comment that I couldn't sit in the training room chairs for 3 hours (they're the absolute worst chairs you can imagine. No support, hard, and unable to adjust them or lock the back of them) and a supervisor asked me "and why is that!?", the tone of their voice just broke my heart. I explained to them that I had just spent all that time off work being unable to walk. They dismissed me and walked away. I was crushed. It still bothers me. It's so hard when people can't see a gaping wound that they can tell hurts. When you look fine on the outside they automatically assume that you're not really in pain. Everyday is a struggle. No one knows this better than you guys here. I accidentally found this forum. And it's a blessing. To finally find people who know how I feel. I'm hoping it will make my journey a little easier.

Sorry for rambling. I just had so much I needed to get off my chest. Thanks for reading and I hope to hear back from some of you. And again, sorry for the typos. I tried to catch them and correct them, but like I said, I'm using my iPhone. :)
    Want to say more but it is so late here, I will be back. Sorry to hear you are going through this, I hate the negative impact a bad back can have on all of us. I am currently going thought numbness on my right side, don't know if it is connected to my lumbar sprain (awaiting MRI of brain and spinal chord). Hang in there, sounds like you have great family support!
    Continue to suffer from alignment issue and myofasical pain in rib cage and pelvic area.
    Nerve pain and back pain are more stable these days but still get flare ups.
  • EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,801
    edited 12/14/2014 - 4:34 PM
    Hi. Whatever it is that intensity of pain is a nightmare isn't it? Ugh!! As you said, you need the diagnostics to know exactly what's going on. I'll tell you how I felt & what was going on just for your info. I'm not trying to diagnose you that would be impossible. My husband suffers from piriformis problems & I was so certain he had spine damage causing sciatica!

I've had osteoarthritis for a long time but my back just ached a lot particularly if I stood preparing food or something like that. About 9 years ago I was carrying my baby & I tripped over a toy. I threw myself oddly to not land on him & when I tried to stand my legs were completely dead. I couldn't feel the floor. After being carried to the sofa the intense agony started to set in. It felt like I was being continually hit with a cattle prod. Within hours I could think about my pain. My left foot could still not feel the ground at all. It felt as if my whole leg was huge & swollen but it didn't look it. Even breathing sent electric shocks down my leg.
    I went through the usual GP visits, being told it was muscular & being given muscle relaxants & anti inflamatories. As time passed it would ease a little (leaving 'just' back & bum/hip pain) then return with a vengeance! Mostly it was the electric shocks, the numbness was less frequent. About 2 months in I went to a chiropractor who took an X-ray & wouldn't touch me! The bottom of my spne looked very swollen & glowed on the X-ray. My MRI showed that the bottom of my spine L5-S1 had a large herniation which was pressing into my S1 nerve root. The vertibae were very arthritic as we're the facet joints.

When I say 'just' spine pain I mean that weak someone stabbing a knife in & twisting feeling. It was only slightly better laying with a pillow between my legs. I couldn't stand still or sit for any time at all without being in crippling, can't concentrate on what people are saying, pain. I remember feeling like I needed to be stretched & it would hurt less if I could pull my SI joint out of my body!!

I hope this answers your questions. Try to get to that PT appointment. Even if you're in too much pain for them to work on, you might get that much needed MRI or it could really help. Once you have a diagnosis, if it is a herniation, there's lots they can do to help.

Remember everyone's different & experience things differently. Self diagnosis isn't a good idea. I thought my husband had a similar herniation! His backs great!
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
advertisement