Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Baclofen

MikethepikeMMikethepike MIchiganPosts: 677
edited 12/15/2014 - 4:51 AM in Pain Medications
Does anyone take anything else for spasticity of muscle tightness?
advertisement

Comments

• I had laminectomies at L4 and L5 on 11/25/14. I'm currently taking 10 mg three times a day as prescribed. My nurse at the hospital told me to take it 2 hours after I took pain meds. She said that would help me more. Don't know the reasoning, but I was too tired to ask why.

wb
  • MikethepikeMMikethepike MIchiganPosts: 677
    I take my meds at 8 am. And 8 pm. IL try to spread it out again. Usually the say to take at breakfast or dinner
  • advertisement
  • I stopped taking it a couple weeks ago. About an hour after taking it I would get horrible cramps and spasms in my calves. That would go on all night long to include "unannounced" charley horses. I'm hoping to get something else that will work but not cause worse side effects than the original spasms are causing.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • The dosage needs to be adjusted up and down before stopping it.......
  • I weaned myself down. Once off of it the cramps stopped. I'm hoping they have another suggestion for a muscle relaxer. All night, I can feel various muscles twitching both in my upper and lower back. It's annoying!
  • advertisement
  • I weaned myself down. Once off of it the cramps stopped. I'm hoping they have another suggestion for a muscle relaxer. All night, I can feel various muscles twitching both in my upper and lower back. It's annoying!
  • I have spasms. They've always been a big problem for me since my back pain started. A muscle relaxant combined with a narcotic pain med has always worked better for my pain than either one alone. When I first went to the docs I was given Cyclobenzaprine. They prescribed it like a sleeping tablet to take at night & it zonked me out. As my spine damage progressed I needed a 3x a day muscle relaxant so I took Tizanidine & that worked well for me. After many years I think I became tolerant. It seemed to not work as well anymore so I switched to Baclofen.
    After a few months I switched back to Tizanidine figuring my tolerance had gone but it didn't work as well as the Baclofen so I'm back on that now!

I've had all kinds of problems with the nerve meds, Gabapentin, Lyrica, Savella etc. some really bad side effects but fortunately I've never really had any issues with the muscle relaxants I've tried. They make me sleepy when I first start taking them or change dose but once I've got used to them I'm fine. I know my docs like Tizanidine best. There are others I've heard of but never tried. As I said, my pain is much better controlled with a combination of narcotics & muscle relaxants. Narcotics alone don't get the job done.

Spasms are very painful & annoying. I've been jolted awake by mine. When they're really bad trigger point injections have helped me. The lidocaine & steroids work but the Botox & steroids seem to last longer & work a little better. For me my hot water bottle also helps & does soaking in a really hot Epsom Salt bath. I add some aromatherapy oils to my bath also. Ice makes it more painful but some people prefer it. Experiment with some different things! ;-)

I'm sure your doc will have some suggestions. There's lots to try. Like everything else to do with managing chronic pain there can be some trial & error involved before you find the best blend for you. Best of luck.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
advertisement