Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Fentanyl Patches

So my doctor put me on Fentanyl patches, and Ive never been on any kind of medication like this before. I put it on my abdominal area, with tegaderm over it (suggested by pharmacist). Its been on for a couple hours, and I think I'm starting to feel better. How long does it usually take to feel the full effects? Does it last the whole 72 hours? Anything I can expect?

Retrolisthesis C4 of C5 and C5 of C6
Spondylolthesis C5/C6
Disc protrusions with Annular Tears C3/C4, C4/C5, and C5/C6
Disc Material Compressing Spinal Cord C3/C4
Severe Forminal Stenosis C5/C6
DDD
Ankylosing Spondylitis 
Annular Tears L3/L4 and L5/S1
Enlarged Facet Joints/Facet Anthrosis L3/L4/L5
PLIF with Rods, Cage, and Pedicle Screws-L4/L5
advertisement

Comments

• If you have never been on other opiates and are not opiate tolerant, being put on fentanyl is dangerous. Fentanyl is only supposed to be used in someone who is already opiate tolerant. and only when other opiates have failed to ease the pain.
    As far as them lasting the full 72 hours, yes , the newer patch versions do typically last the entire time in most people.
    I would make sure to read the pharmacy paperwork that comes with the patches and make sure that someone is available to watch you carefully for over sedation and respiratory issues .
    I am surprised that your doctor chose that as a medication at this stage for you..........
  • Ive been on Tramadol 50mg four times a day and Norco 10mg two times a day for a couple years. My recent MRI showed major degenerative changes over the 2 year period. I need a two level spinal fusion that I am trying to put off. One considering my age and two because I cant take 4-6 weeks off of work. I waitress through school, so I'm guessing he took all of that in consideration. He said I would benefit from having a small amount of medication continuous in my system. Espically at work. I am on 25 mcg.

Spondylolthesis C5/C6
    DDD
    Ankylosing Spondylitis 
  • advertisement
  • I hope that it works for you........just be careful, there are a lot of other extended release medications that are in between tramadol and norco, that he could have chosen that work as well as fentanyl.......fentanyl is a heavy hitter as far as opiates go, and it is unusual for a doctor to choose that one from the lower end of the spectrum of the medications that you were on previously.
    The problem with jumping to a medication as potent as fentanyl is that if you do have surgery, it can be more difficult to manage the pain post op, when potent medications such as fentanyl are given early on......
  • I'm on the same thing
    terry kelly
  • I understand. I see my PM doc on the 20th of Jan, and I do plan to discuss all of this with him. For now, honestly Im just thankful for the pain relief. Normally, on a good day, my pain will not go below a 5. I have to push myself to make it though my shifts, and I'm in tears because the pain gets so bad, up to a 7-8 after work...even on meds. Today I was actually at a 2-3. Today was the first day I didn't burst out in tears because of the pain. I am coherent, and I can actually function. With my lifestyle, I cannot tell you how important this is. So if my PM doc decides to take me off of them, I just hope he can put me on something that will last and work for me. I know this is all about trial and error.

Spondylolthesis C5/C6
    DDD
    Ankylosing Spondylitis 
  • advertisement
  • When I was at the big spine clinic they moved me straight from Hydrocodone to fentanyl patches. I was told at the time that it was policy not to prescribe stronger narcotics in pill form because of abuse/street value of the pills. My only choice there was large quantities of Hydrocodone (I didn't like the quantity of Tylenol) or patches.
    It was the old design of fentanyl patches at the time & I had all sorts of problems. I'd get REALLY hot, particularly at night & it felt like I was hit really hard, horribly spaced-out & drugged. I had to change patches more often. I was told that too much fentanyl was being released so they were running out! The whole experience frightened me. I think the new design patches have less issues but please be careful.
    Eventually I changed PM docs & was switched to a lower dose, weaker ER narcotic med & I did much better with them. I hope they work well for you but there are lots of other options available.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I am honestly doing completely fine. I don't feel drugged at all...or groggy. My pain is just gone. Today is day 2, so we will see!! Thank you for all the info and comments! This site is very helpful!

Spondylolthesis C5/C6
    DDD
    Ankylosing Spondylitis 
  • Great! Best of luck ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.