Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Had Surgery yesterday

sqall12001ssqall12001 Posts: 2
edited 12/24/2014 - 11:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just had a L4/5 Forominotomy and Microdiscetomy yesterday....Ouch.
Came home same day, working on slight movements and making it to bathroom...

-Nick
advertisement

Comments

• kinpainkkinpain Posts: 958
    edited 12/24/2014 - 2:51 PM
    Now that you are at home you already began your recovery. Going to the bathroom and taking a short walk in your house considered your first exercises. As yo get stronger increase the amount of time you are walking around. Did a Physical Therapist visit you in the hospital? When they come around, they usually show some simple movements that can be done at home afew times a day. Physical activity is important, just don't over do it. Best wishes for your recovery!
  • advertisement
  • BuckoBBucko Posts: 3
    edited 12/24/2014 - 4:06 PM
    You should be a lot more mobile and with diminished pain after just 1 week.
    in about 90 days you'll be good as new. Don't do too much--no twisting, turning, heavy lifting 10+ pounds, etc.
    Avoid bending over to pick things up--squat instead.
    From my experience, best rehab was walking. I didn't do PT and was lucky to only need Tylenol for "pain" (actually discomfort).
    Best of luck with your recovery.

~Bucko
  • http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/microdiscectomy-microdecompression-spine-surgery
    http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/microdiscectomy-spine-surgery-risks-complications-and-success-rates

http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/postoperative-care-lumbar-microdiscectomy-surgery

Whatever weight limitations you were given by your surgeon are the ones you need to follow. For most of us, it is not to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for the acute phase of recovery. The more you can walk around, the better you will feel. Limit your sitting to meals and for 15 minutes at a time, then stand for a bit, and alternate your positions.
  • Almost 2 weeks post op. Been doing pretty good. Driving a little, and walking around stores for my daily walking. Kind of nice to have all the time to just browse, lol.

Mostly just surgical pain right now, but no new pain in the lower extremities that I can tell.

-Nick
  • advertisement
  • I am now in week 3 and had hydro therapy today which wAs great. I am only sitting for 30 minutes three times a day and then going for walks. One question I presume when we are not sitting or walking are you lying flat? So many medical practitioners give different advice !
  • The PA told me that it does not count as sitting. So just alternate, walk, sit for short distancel (e.g, at. Meals), thenrest in your recliner, if you have one. Most of us do, it is the best investment to get one after back surgery. Actually, it is a life-time investment.
advertisement