Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Question about Steroids

I have bulging lumbar discs that are impinging on nerves. My doctor offered me the option of a Medrol Dosepack to alleviate inflammation and pain. I generally like to avoid meds if at all possible and go a natural route. But I recognize they can be helpful in some instances.

Here's my question. I have bad allergies and recently was prescribed Flonase - a steroid nasal spray - by my doctor. While on the medicine, it did reduce sinus inflammation. However, I had some of the worst headaches of my life. So severe I almost went to the ER. It also made my nose raw and bloody. My doctor told me to discontinue use and she will not prescribe me any more steroid sprays.

Now obviously the method of delivery is different between Flonase and the Medrol Pak, but my question is, if I had such a bad reaction to one steroid, does that suggest I will react badly to all steroids? I'm very nervous to try the Medrol Pak after this recent experience, in spite of the fact that it probably will reduce inflammation.
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,518
    discuss with your doctor.

From my own personal experiences there is a difference between Oral and Injected steroids. Flonase I would consider to be more of the injected type. Normally, the oral method in taking medications is easily, its slower to take effect. The injected method hits you right in the face immediately.

I would think that the medrol pack would be much easier on your system. But this is only my opinion. I would discuss this with your doctor and/or pharmacist to get their input
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • dilauro said:
    discuss with your doctor.

From my own personal experiences there is a difference between Oral and Injected steroids. Flonase I would consider to be more of the injected type. Normally, the oral method in taking medications is easily, its slower to take effect. The injected method hits you right in the face immediately.

I would think that the medrol pack would be much easier on your system. But this is only my opinion. I would discuss this with your doctor and/or pharmacist to get their input
    Thanks. What you're saying makes sense - I'm just very gunshy now because of those headaches. I scheduled an appointment for tomorrow. Will definitely discuss with him and see what he thinks. Doing a little research on it tonight, I see a lot of people mentioning anxiety (which I am also prone to) and headaches as a side effect of the Medrol, so I'm still very hesitant.
  • advertisement
  • Nasal Steroids typically cause bleeding because the sinus lining is thin and very close to the arteries around the nose. Nose bleeds are pretty routine for most that use nasal sprays for a while.

Oral steroids typically work differently as they are spread throughout the body. I personally think injected steroids (dexamethasone) works better that oral steroids, but that's just my opinion. As Ron suggested, talk it over with your doc to make sure your comfortable with the decision you make. Your doctor will also have to monitor how much steroid you do take so that you can avoid any of the side effects that can come from it's use.

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Nortoh9NNortoh9 Posts: 6
    edited 01/12/2015 - 7:32 PM
    I have had two steroid injections for leg nerve pain after my s1/L5/L4 360 surgery for grade 3 Spondylolisthesis. The first took away the foot and toe pain for about 8 weeks and the second, four months after the first, took away my calf pain. The last injection was 12 weeks ago and my leg is so much more comfortable. The oral steroids did not work for any of the nerve pain and did make me edgy.
  • TDawgTTDawg Posts: 33
    edited 01/12/2015 - 9:39 PM
    They are pin pointed right to where they are needed. Oral steroids are.broken down in your liver and spread all over the body. All of the injections and oral steroid regimens were band aids as my story states in my intro. Just has a fjsiom on 12/15 but did everything I could to.hold off. Was very conservative but find a reputable Neuro and PM practice amd they will help guide.you through this wonderful journey. Good luck with everything.
  • advertisement
advertisement