Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

I don't think I'm a winter person anymore

TarenTTaren Posts: 524
edited 01/11/2015 - 4:07 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello, fellow spine sufferers. It's been awhile since I have been here, I hope that everyone is doing as well as can be expected with the different issues that life finds it necessary to throw our way. The latter half of 2014 was a rough one. Anyway, on to my topic of choice at the moment......

Growing up, I LOVED the cold and snowy winter months, mostly because it meant school would be called off, sometimes we would miss weeks at a time. Even though it meant that we would have to go, sometimes way up into the month of June!! Even after becoming and adult, I never outgrew my love for the winter months. Having my own family, only made me love it more-something magical (to me) about being snowed in with my family. Being able to staying in our pajamas all day, knowing no one was going knock at the door, a tasty pot of homemade stew on the stove, a nice roaring fire in the fireplace creating a homey and cozy feeling, going sledding followed by a hot cup of hot chocolate w/marshmallows...I loved everything that winter had to offer, BUT.....back then I did not suffer with chronic pain!!

Fast forward to now....Some days, I stay in my pj's because they are more comfortable than jeans or slacks touching my spine, hips or legs, now I do not care if someone knocks at the door and sees me in them at 2 in the afternoon. I make stew now, not because it helps to create a warm, homey & cozy feeling, but because it can be frozen or re-heated for a couple of days and I don't have to cook everyday. Gas heat has replaced the roaring fireplace. Forget the fun of sledding on fresh snow with a skim of ice on top, that would just cause more damage. Even the simple task of making hot chocolate, at times, takes more effort that I care to put forward...I'm not lazy by any means, I have chronic pain and its winter. My bones hurt more, the cold air does not lubricate my joints like the warm sunshine of spring and summer does.

Come on Spring.....I want to feel your warm sunshine on my body, I'm tired of the achiness and the extra pain that winter brings. I want to wake up with and "extra spring in my step" knowing its gonna be 70 for the day, I want to open my windows and smell the warm fresh air, I want to smell fresh cut grass again. I want the anticipation of seeing the seasons first watermelons in the grocery store. I want to take a walk in a new spring outfit that does not include my boots, gloves, scarf and my coat. As, I get older I'm seeing more and more that not only does my body and pain levels improve when its warm out but so does my psyche. I want spring now!!

I will get back under my throw now, finish my cup of coffee, may even take a nap hoping that when I wake up it will be spring and 70 degrees--that just can't be too much to ask for, can it??
advertisement

Comments

• geoggeo Posts: 18
    edited 01/12/2015 - 12:19 AM
    me too, last couple years,it seems winter really starts getting things fired up.I miss those warm thunderstorms at nightto help me get to sleep.
    dont know why but that cup of hot coffee is especially good this am,its very cold out there.a hot tub would be so nice to sit in right now.stay warm.
  • I know what you mean. I am in pain right now, in a new spot. I just got of a few meds this summer, and know I am reaching for them again.
    Murraytscan@yahoo.com
    L4-L5 fused at birth (congenital malformity). L-5-S1 bulge/degeneration, L3-L4 bulge/degeneration. Permanent nerve damage L5-S1 and L3-L4. Fused C5-C7.
  • advertisement
  • I didn't mind it but the cold hasn't been kind to my neck issues. I have to keep my neck covered and I cant wear hats because of the pressure in my head.
    Tracie C
  • I, too have to keep my neck covered even inside my house. Seems in the winter months I'm always wearing a turtle neck, if not a turtle neck then I'm reaching for one of my winter scarves. I can not stand for my neck to be exposed when it's cold out. I can't even sit near a window if there's a draft all the cold air seems to zero right in on my neck. I can swear my neck feels 10 degrees colder than the rest of my body.

murraymr, I know what you mean, I have a new painful spot everyday seems like.
  • Welcome back Taren!!! You've been sooooooo missed! ;-)

Even with arthritis that goes crazy with the change in weather I'm still a winter girl. I love the deep snow & twinkling icicles....as long as I'm on a comfortable sofa with a big snug blanket infront of a raging fire!!! Roll on Texas summer so I can complain about the 100 degree weather. The English love to rant about the weather. It makes me feel at home ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • advertisement
  • EnglishGirl said:
    Welcome back Taren!!! You've been sooooooo missed! ;-)

Even with arthritis that goes crazy with the change in weather I'm still a winter girl. I love the deep snow & twinkling icicles....as long as I'm on a comfortable sofa with a big snug blanket infront of a raging fire!!! Roll on Texas summer so I can complain about the 100 degree weather. The English love to rant about the weather. It makes me feel at home ;-)
    Ty you Suzanne, an angel sent me back ;-) I so miss the Texas summers, you are so lucky to live there. Last time I was there, the hottest day was 117 degrees-I swear I had no pain at all-felt so good!!! I hope once the military era is over we can retire out west somewhere...Southern Oklahoma (Wichita Mountains) Texas, New Mexico or Arizona. I need and I miss the dry heat those states offer. Truly is the best place to live with chronic pain conditions and any type of arthritis. I remember in Texas a few years ago, at Christrmas, it was 70 something degrees!!! Tomorrow, here in Kentucky, its supposed to be 52 or so I believe. I will have my "baby suit" on-that is what my daughter called a bathing suit when she was a lil thang, lol.
  • murraymrmmurraymr Posts: 102
    edited 01/22/2015 - 6:34 AM
    Taren said:
    EnglishGirl said:
    Welcome back Taren!!! You've been sooooooo missed! ;-)

Ty you Suzanne, an angel sent me back ;-) I so miss the Texas summers, you are so lucky to live there. Last time I was there, the hottest day was 117 degrees-I swear I had no pain at all-felt so good!!! I hope once the military era is over we can retire out west somewhere...Southern Oklahoma (Wichita Mountains) Texas, New Mexico or Arizona. I need and I miss the dry heat those states offer. Truly is the best place to live with chronic pain conditions and any type of arthritis. I remember in Texas a few years ago, at Christrmas, it was 70 something degrees!!! Tomorrow, here in Kentucky, its supposed to be 52 or so I believe. I will have my "baby suit" on-that is what my daughter called a bathing suit when she was a lil thang, lol.
    I live in Texas, grew up in Oklahoma, lived in NM for 2yrs (active duty), and have friends in AZ. :)
    Murraytscan@yahoo.com
    L4-L5 fused at birth (congenital malformity). L-5-S1 bulge/degeneration, L3-L4 bulge/degeneration. Permanent nerve damage L5-S1 and L3-L4. Fused C5-C7.
  • murraymr, you have touched on every state I want to be in, lol. I wish we were active duty back in Texas. I asked my husband the other night if he would consider cross training into another field so the AF would send us back, lol. He's in AGE (Aerospace Ground Equipment) @ the moment. If that's not in the cards right now, maybe (fingers crossed) we can retire there.

EnglishGirl and I are planning a huge shopping mall and zoo adventure there in the near future-she and I both want me to move back to Texas!!! I cant wait until my bones can absorb that hot windy dry desert air again....I miss those Texas thunderstorms, you can see the lightening miles away--sooooo flat and beautiful there. I remember seeing my first up close and personal longhorn, lol. I got why they are called Texas Longhorns at that moment :-) I miss it so, I so should have been born a Texan, lol but...... I'd still be a Kentucky Wildcat basketball fan--GO CATS!!!! ;-)
  • Taren said:
    murraymr, you have touched on every state I want to be in, lol. I wish we were active duty back in Texas. I asked my husband the other night if he would consider cross training into another field so the AF would send us back, lol. He's in AGE (Aerospace Ground Equipment) @ the moment. If that's not in the cards right now, maybe (fingers crossed) we can retire there.

EnglishGirl and I are planning a huge shopping mall and zoo adventure there in the near future-she and I both want me to move back to Texas!!! I cant wait until my bones can absorb that hot windy dry desert air again....I miss those Texas thunderstorms, you can see the lightening miles away--sooooo flat and beautiful there. I remember seeing my first up close and personal longhorn, lol. I got why they are called Texas Longhorns at that moment :-) I miss it so, I so should have been born a Texan, lol but...... I'd still be a Kentucky Wildcat basketball fan--GO CATS!!!! ;-)
    good to hear.... AGE is a good job. Lots of retirees around here! :) I drive by longhorns every day... hope to see you in TX
    Murraytscan@yahoo.com
advertisement