Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Burning Foot Pain after L4, L5 microdiscectomy/decompression

Comments

• Have any of you got encouraging stories of recovery from this burning / tenderness in your foot?

I’m currently experiencing this after L4/5 discectomy on 7/12. It’s driving me crazy & am hoping it’s temporary?

• I am 9 days out from a L5 microdiscectomy on both sides where my surgeon removed large bone spurs and disk material from a herniated disk. I have had back pain and a buldging disk for many years and was always able to calm it down with a few days of bed rest and anti-inflamatories.

Out of the blue I woke up 6 weeks ago with severe pain and numbness of my left leg and foot. My sister, who is a RN, said I should go to the ER because of the numbness, which I had never experienced before. They gave me a pain shot and a steroid shot which alleviated the pain but not the numbness and weakness. I saw my GP a couple of days later and he ordered a MRI, which showed that my disk had herniated so I had the surgery 4 weeks later after experiencing the numbness.

Post surgery hasn't been too bad and my leg is less numb, although my foot and ankle are still pretty numb, with the pins and needles feeling. I also experience (before and after surgery) my 2nd from the big toe feeling like someone mashed it with a hammer at times, and that pain comes and goes.

My doctor has not mentioned any PT and I don't see him again for 3 more weeks. How soon after surgery did others start PT? I am concerned about scar tissue and/or my nerve becoming compressed again because of scar tissue.

I am hoping that the reason not too many people report their nerve pain and numbness resolving  is that they have moved on with their lives and don't have time to hang around on a back surgery forum!

:)

• advertisement
  • I am 9 days out from a L5 microdiscectomy on both sides where my surgeon removed large bone spurs and disk material from a herniated disk. I have had back pain and a buldging disk for many years and was always able to calm it down with a few days of bed rest and anti-inflamatories.

Out of the blue I woke up 6 weeks ago with severe pain and numbness of my left leg and foot. My sister, who is a RN, said I should go to the ER because of the numbness, which I had never experienced before. They gave me a pain shot and a steroid shot which alleviated the pain but not the numbness and weakness. I saw my GP a couple of days later and he ordered a MRI, which showed that my disk had herniated so I had the surgery 4 weeks later after experiencing the numbness.

Post surgery hasn't been too bad and my leg is less numb, although my foot and ankle are still pretty numb, with the pins and needles feeling. I also experience (before and after surgery) my 2ndfrom the big toe feeling like someone mashed it with a hammer at times, and that pain comes and goes.

My doctor has not mentioned any PT and I don't see him again for 3 more weeks. How soon after surgery did others start PT? I am concerned about scar tissue and/or my nerve becoming compressed again because of scar tissue.

I am hoping that the reason not too many people report their nerve pain and numbness resolving  is that they have moved on with their lives and don't have time to hang around on a back surgery forum!

• I am 9 weeks post of 3 level fusion, L3-S1. I am experiencing all of the symptoms you are. Burning foot, calf, knee. It’s difficult to walk! I for one will post back on here when I’m better because we all need hope! 

advertisement