Quick history, in 2008 I was diagnosed with a grade 1 Spinal Spondylolisthesis (about .9cm of slippage) and impingement on the nerves going into my left leg. Since then I have lost 65 pounds, been in and out of PT, work out w/focus on core exercises mainly, and two years ago had 2 epidural steroid injections which seem to work for a while.
I have learned to live with the pain in the lower back and nerve pain mainly in my left leg with some in my right. A few times a year I get major lower back pain which causes me to miss work and recently on 2 Jan 15, I bent over to put on my gym shorts (of all things) and for the month of Jan I have been mostly in bed and on drugs to deal with the pain. Currently, I'm able to get around with a little lower back pain, nerve pain, and off the meds. I wasn't ready for surgery in 2008 or 2012 (due to work), but now I guess I'm just tired of living like I'm walking on eggs shells with my back.
So since Jan, I have had updated X-rays and a MRI which shows additional slippage to 1.3cm and seeing a Neurosurgeon on 9 Feb. I feel I am ready for surgery if that is what he recommends to do, but I know that it's a BIG deal and I could come out worse. For the most part I can function, but I have read that my back won't "fix" itself and with the additional slippage it seems to only be getting worse. While I'm young (38), my thoughts were to get the surgery and pray for a positive outcome and move on with my life. But then now, I feel I can function so I would go back to work outs, maybe another injection, and back to walking on egg shells. So to get the surgery or not..........so frustrating..
I'm hoping to get input from those who have waited, those who have had the surgery, and maybe those who waited then finally got it. Thank you for the help.